Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Coopersville

Favorite Liqueurs/Distilled Beverages

I'm not a big fan of beer and I felt left out of the other thread, so how about starting one on one's favorite types of hard liquor? I'm going with a top three since I can imagine not many people will stick to just one thing when it comes to this.

1. Southern Comfort (liqueur)
2. Finlandia Lime Vodka
3. Sambuca (liqueur)

I'm sure many hard liquor enthusiasts on Doomworld scoff at my choices, both because they're cheap and because they're considered 'pussy drinks' by some; I'll only reply with the fact that I'm just some college-age kid whose tastes are pretty much centered around partying. Anyway, my honourable mentions don't help me out at all, either.

I. Fireball (whiskey) - I used to love the stuff, and it was what opened me up to alcohol, which I previously hated, but I got sick off of it too many times, and now my body just rejects it.

II. Absinthe - I don't know what brand I had off hand, but it was some 'cheaper' stuff. I spent like $96.00 on a mickey of it, and polished off half of it thinking I would get trashed, but it didn't affect me somehow, and I passed the rest to some friends. But like I said, it wasn't the best quality, nor did I drink it in the traditional way it's usually intended-- So, eventhough I'm bitter about that expirience, I'd try it again in better circumstances.

III. Bacardi 151 (rum) - I tried this once just because of its ridiculously high alcohol content. This stuff lead me into a night of drinking of heroic proportions. First off, while expecting the worst, I managed to handle shots of this very well, while a couple of my friends puked and/or nearly feinted upon having it touch their tongues. Secondly, I somehow managed to finish something between 3/5 to 3/4 of the 26'er by myself, and somehow not have a hangover the next day. Nonetheless, I'll admit anyday that drinking that stuff in general, let alone as much as I did was completely stupid, and I would have avoided it, had I been in a state to stop myself. Anyway, I'll probably never touch the stuff again, it was pretty much a one time thing; so will be Everclear if I ever find any.

People usually laugh at me for my choices in alcohol. That is everyone aside from my friends who all have the same drinking habits as me. I like a lot of cocktails so I'm gonna list my favorite out-of-the-bottle drinks along with my favorite cocktails.

Straight-up Booze
1. Kaluha (coffee liqueur)
2. Jaegermeister (licorice liqueur I think)
3. 100 proof cinnamon schnapps (I forget the brand name, but it was gooood...made if feel like my chest was on fire)

Cocktails
1. White Russian (vodka, kaluha, and cream)
2. Bailey's float (root beer, ice cream, and a shot of Bailey's)
3. Whiskey and coke (I like it better than rum and coke)

I could go on and on about all the booze I've had because I love sampling new types. The Bailey's float almost outdoes the White Russian because it was so fucking good, but White Russians are an old favorite of mine, and my favorite girl taught me how to make them on my 21st birthday. Another drink that barely failed to make the list (especially since I can't remember what it's called) is this dessert wine which is real sweet but good. You'll drink it down so fast you won't realise how drunk you're getting until it's too late. The afformentioned girl had me get some of this on New Year's and we each had like 2 glasses at least and quickly became the drunkest people at the party (tied with the guy who bought himself a 12-pack of beer and drank the whole thing).

Another booze I'd rate close to being on that list is Malibu. Mmm, coconut rum.

I've had some weird stuff before too. At my 21st bday, my friend brought his friend who brewed his own stuff, and I had shots of it all. Among his stuff was some strong cinnamon liqueur (similar to that stuff I ranked as #3), some 180ish proof stuff he called "Shit Goddamn), and some wine-flavored whiskey which was the result of brewing whiskey in a wine barrel. Also, my friend brought some Pumpkin Ale to the New Year's party. I normally hate beer but had to try it. It tasted like beer, but after a few sips you start to get the taste of pumpkin in your mouth.

Did I mention I hate beer? It's vile and disgusting and doesn't even get you drunk. I'd easily rate it last on my list of boozes I've tried, even less than sake or straight vodka.

I really don't know, because I generally "drink" only with food, and that's usually wine or beer. While I've tried hard liquors occasionally, I forget their names or particularities.

Coopersville said:

I'm sure many hard liquor enthusiasts on Doomworld scoff at my choices, both because they're cheap and because they're considered 'pussy drinks' by some; I'll only reply with the fact that I'm just some college-age kid whose tastes are pretty much centered around partying.

I'm a college-age kid whose tastes are pretty much centered around partying and I don't know of anyone who would consider SoCo a "pussy drink."

III. Bacardi 151 (rum) - (story)

God, I don't know how you managed that. If you really drank that much and woke up without a hangover it's either because you a) died and didn't realize it or b) were still actually drunk for the next day and a half. Either way, I'm impressed.

I'm not a liquor person to begin with, but after three straight shots of that shit I couldn't make myself down any more, not even mixed. It was like my body's natural self-defense mechanism was kicking in.

Dan said:

2. Jaegermeister (licorice liqueur I think)

I almost always prefer a cocktail if possible, but Jager is one of the few liquors I don't mind taking straight shots of. But of course, I'd rather just do Jagerbombs (Jager and Red Bull - a college student classic).

2. Bailey's float (root beer, ice cream, and a shot of Bailey's)

That sounds delicious but it also sounds too filling for the amount of alcohol you're drinking.

Anyway, one of my favorites is 99 Blackberries, which is precisely what its name would suggest - a 99 proof, blackberry flavored schnapps. It's surprisingly easy to drink straight up.

Did I mention I hate beer? It's vile and disgusting and doesn't even get you drunk. I'd easily rate it last on my list of boozes I've tried, even less than sake or straight vodka.

I'd like to think that maybe you just haven't found the right beer, but I guess it's just to each his own.

I personally prefer beer to hard liquor because it hard liquor seems to get people much drunker, much faster, whereas you can make a whole night out of drinking beer. I mean I prefer the taste of beer, too, at least real beer (not those pisswaters that are so popular on college campuses because they're disgustingly cheap).

Also, I suppose it's easier for someone who's 5'8", 155 lbs like me to get drunk off of beer.

Jelzin Vodka
Smirnoff Vodka
Akvavit (Spiced liquor, comes in different shapes)
Baileys
Turkish pepper shots
aswell as the occational Jaegermeister.

I also drink whiskey quite a bit when it's offered, but I never aquire it on my own.

I don't do drinks often, and most of the time it's white russian when I do but here goes.
Drinks:
White russian
Black russian
Skrewdriver
Rum and coke

(I've never actually had the pleasure of trying absinth, but it's one of the few alcoholic beverages I am inclined to broaden my horizons with)

Danarchy said:

...Another drink that barely failed to make the list (especially since I can't remember what it's called) is this dessert wine which is real sweet but good. You'll drink it down so fast you won't realise how drunk you're getting until it's too late. The afformentioned girl had me get some of this on New Year's and we each had like 2 glasses at least and quickly became the drunkest people at the party (tied with the guy who bought himself a 12-pack of beer and drank the whole thing).

I'm going to guess this was a port of some kind, or maybe a sherry.

As for me, I ultimately prefer beer over hard liqours unless the drink is made right. There are a few I won't touch, including ones mentioned like SoCo and Bacardi 151 (though admittedly jello shots made with 151 can be tasty). I do enjoy doing shots of jager though. My "usual" at this one pub used to be shot-and-a-beer, a shot of jager and a bottle of bud light, which was then upgraded to a pint of pbr. The cheap beer helps wash down the jager better imo.

I'm a vodka man, and I usually stick to Smirnoff. It's a step above the real shitty vodkas, but still cheap. I used to regularly consume a fifth a night until I got mono, which really does a number on the liver. I'm still not sure how my tolerance was so high. Anyways, my favorite vodka of choice is Stoli. So good. I also occasionally hit Jim Beam, SoCo (100 proof), 99 Bananas/Blackberry, Jagermeister, and whatever the hell else is around.

As for mixed drinks, I stick to the basic screwdriver. Long Island Iced Teas aren't bad either, and my friend makes a ridiculous drink called Grateful Dead on Acid, which is pretty much a glass full of several alcohols with a bit of bar mix, but it blends extremely well. It's hard to even taste the alcohol, but it'll wreck the unsuspecting person.

I also like a really good cider.

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever done is played grain pong.

I've tried Aftershock... it's not bad.
I tried grain alcohol once. I prayed for death.

Mancubus II said:

I'm going to guess this was a port of some kind, or maybe a sherry.

I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it turns out it was Riesling.

Kid A said:

I'd like to think that maybe you just haven't found the right beer, but I guess it's just to each his own.

I dunno, all I've had were either microbrews or imports which are supposed to be the two best kinds. Of course, all I've had are pilsners. I'd try Guiness if someone offered some to me.

I'm a pretty big guy and can hold a ton of alcohol. It takes me like a sixpack of beers for me to feel drunk. I like hard alcohol because it gets me drunk and I make it last by nursing it. I can drink like 2-3 glasses of hard alcohol in a night and still not be fall-down hangover drunk. Plus, there are so many good tasting hard alcohols in existance that I don't see the point in having beer instead. Of course, I do like Mike's which is about the same alcohol content as beer.

Grey Goose vodka. Best vodka no the planet (that I've had anyway). Little pricey unfortunately.

Someone once gave me this vodka who's name I cant remember. It was combined with honey and peppers. I wish I could remember the name.

Brugal rum. Im normally not crazy about rum but this stuff was pretty good.

As far as mixed drinks I tend to stick to the vodka creanberry. I went through a martini and gin and tonic phase but that's over.

Liquor:
Bombay Sapphire
Maker's Mark
Grey Goose

Mixed drink:
Gin and Tonic - so delicious on a summer day.

Blended Scotch-- Johnny Walker Blue Label. Best all-around for me, and if it weren't so god damned expensive I'd get it all the time.
Single Malt Scotch-- Glenlevet 21, again too damn expensive. Aberlour is good enough though.
Bookers Bourbon-- my favorite bourbon.
Tequila-- anything good would be pricey, but best I've had is Cavo Wavo Silver
Rum-- Still haven't had one that pleases me and yet to ante up for the big boys, but I'll mix Captain Morgan
Vodka-- Grey Goose
Gin-- Bombay Sapphire
"Whiskey" whiskey-- Good olde Jack, like mother's milk (until I look for something better)
Liquour-- Meh.
Schnapps-- Any good peppermint
Cognac-- Remy Martin VSOX, still need to steal some Louis XIII so I can taste it

I probably left some out.

Coopersville said:

Sambuca (liqueur)

*shudder* If I want licorice, I'll take Jager.

GGG said:

*shudder* If I want licorice, I'll take Jager.

Enjoy your 2500 calories per 1oz. shot. Yeah, I pretty much put myself on a winter diet recently involving not drinking stuff like that, so I can avoid a gut. Yag Bombs are awesome though, it'd be in my top cocktails had I bothered writing about it.

I like my whiskeys, thank you. I don't partake of the hard stuff much lately though. anyway, my faves are jamesons, powers, jack, and johnny walker. for johnny I like the red, black, and green. gold I'm not crazy about, but it's really a more like a cordial than a whiskey. blue I've tasted and love but it's way too expensive.

::edit:: almost forgot my favorite homemade concoction... coquito. it's a puerto rican alternative to eggnog. we usually brew it up during x-mas and new years. there are several variations of the recipe, but they almost allways have coconut creme, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, egg yolks, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and of course, rum.

Coopersville said:

Enjoy your 2500 calories per 1oz. shot

Hey, alcohol is calories. You might as well drink what you like.

MGD or Warsteiner for beer
Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, Gordons for gin
Evan Williams, Early Times, Old Grandad, Knob Creek, Wild Turkey or Crown Royal for whiskey

I'll drink anything but those are my top choices

A decent single malt whisky.

My personal favourite is the very unusual, very peaty Laphroaig. I also like Lagavulin. Both whiskys are from the island of Islay. I'm also quite partial to the Macallan from Speyside which is very rich tasting. If none of the above are available (and they usually are in a Scottish bar) then I'll go for any good single malt. I have a little collection of about 20 or so different ones myself.

Of the commonly available ones outwith Scotland, I prefer Glenmorangie to Glenfiddich.

Aside from whisky, I'm not really into hard spirits. Most seem a little bland or pointless compared to Whisky. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laphroaig
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagavulin_Single_Malt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macallan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenmorangie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenfiddich

z34chris said:

MGD or Warsteiner for beer

There's another thread for this (apparently).

z34chris said:

Gordons for gin

Anyone who likes Gordons (or any other plastic handle brand) needs some serious boozucation.

I personally like straight cheap tequila. I don't really have a preference to any specific brand, though.

When it comes to mixed drinks, I like margaritas the best, followed by Kaluha mixed with soy milk.

GGG said:

z34chris said:
MGD or Warsteiner for beer.

There's another thread for this (apparently).

This is the only apology I will use this year. Besides, booze is booze.... right now im drinking crown on the rocks. water under the bridge.... storm in a teacup.... so on and so forth.... Adieu. Aufwiedersehen. Gesundheit. Farewell.

GGG said:
z34chris said:
Gordons for gin

Anyone who likes Gordons (or any other plastic handle brand) needs some serious boozucation.

I do not always buy the 'expensive' stuff. Some of the plastic handled brands are not too bad for the price. I agree that some of them are downright terrible but Gin is pretty hard to mess up unless you make it taste and smell like rubbing alcohol.