Find results in...
Kid Airbag

Favorite beer?

Go.

For me,

Domestic: Iron City/Yuengling Black & Tan

Import: Smithwicks

Cockpunch Ale!

Actually, that doesn't exist, but it should, because drinking beer is like punching yourself in the cock: pointless and painful.

If I had to choose something similar to beer though, I'd go with Mike's Hard Cranberry. Mmm...

Mass-produced, store-bought : Yeungling, Keystone *anything* (cause it's cheap as shit for a 30 rack), Coors Light

Imported : Labatt Blue

Brewery : custombrewcrafters.com <--they make some awesome fucking beer.

Like Afterglow said..... Alexander Keith's. :D

Sometimes I'll go for a Heineken, Corona, Boddington's Pub Ale, Guinness, Gösser and other various imported beers from Germany, Britain and the like.

It's all a matter of state and mind but here's my top picks (not terribly original, but whatever):

Grolsch
Guiness (in a bottle, never in a can)
Kilkenny
Carnegie Stark-Porter (a swedish stout that is DEEE-LISHIOUS)
Staropramen
Mariestad (another swedish beer, that while it's not up to the standards of these others, are still a very fine beer.)

There's several other very fine beers, ales and stouts I've had the pleasure of drinking. But their names elude me as they're usually hard to remember, and it's not often you come by them.

Naked Snake said:

Keystone *anything* (cause it's cheap as shit for a 30 rack), Coors Light

I've only been in college for a year and a half and I'm already sick of those. They're always the purchase of choice because of how dirt cheap they are.

One thing I love about Iron City is that, since it's brewed in Pittsburgh, it's only about $23 for a case. It looks like your standard golden lager, but it tastes like it should be much darker. It's delicious.

I'm going to try an import or two on Friday or a domestic or two on Saturday -- then I'll let you know.

Down the pub: John Smith's Extra Smooth
After a long day: Guinness
Watching a Movie: Grolsch or Becks
Relaxing Evenings: Marstons Firestoker and similar pale/light ales (always open to suggestions)

keystone yeah (and some of those malt liquors) and theres another i believe "Big Jug" beer. it's like 79 cents for a 40 (it may be regional not sure) you allready know where you stand for the night if you have to choose it. god only knows whats in it, your just paying for the alcohol content to begin with. whatever else it is, is just a vehicle for the alcohol to be delivered to your blood stream. you may as well go and get a couple bottles of isopropyl from the dollar store because your going to end up in the emergency either way. and i really dont touch any of it anymore, allways ask whats in your cup!

Anchor Steam, Fat Tire, Stella Artois or other lagers with actual flavor. Not a fan of the thick brown, and I suppose I can tolerate heineys and the like. If I have to go with a cheap beer, Schlitz or PBR can't be beat.

I usually opt for Guinness, but failing the availability of that (they shouldn't be allowed to be called pubs if they don't stock Guinness), I'll also quite happily drink Grolsch, Stella or Kronenbourg.

kristus said:

Guiness (in a bottle, never in a can)

Agreed, although it's still best from the tap.

Wright's Law: "There is no bad beer."
My Corollary of Wright's Law: "If it's bad, it's not beer."

But, in general: Stella when I can afford it, Lakeport Pilsener most other times, and occasionally Molson Brador...

Kid Airbag said:

They're always the purchase of choice because of how dirt cheap they are.

Well, yeah! For the price of 2 or 3 28 packs of the expensive stuff, you can get 3 or 4 30 packs of Keystone red, light or ice.

BTW, the best way to get drunk for dirt cheap is to get a few 22ozs or 40ozs of Steel Reserve, shit is like, 8.1%.

Naked Snake said:

Well, yeah! For the price of 2 or 3 28 packs of the expensive stuff, you can get 3 or 4 30 packs of Keystone red, light or ice.

I don't mind investing a few extra dollars into something that gets you drunk AND tastes decent.

Of course, the problem is I'm not 21, so I pretty much have to rely on what everyone else wants (i.e., the kids with the fakes) when we go alcohol shopping, so once my leftover I.C. runs dry, I'll be consigned to another semester of Natty/Beast/Keystone and cheap vodka.

CODOR said:

Wright's Law: "There is no bad beer."
My Corollary of Wright's Law: "If it's bad, it's not beer."

What about ginger beer

I prefer strong ales, especially Belgian ales.

These are my favourites:
Some Trappist ales -- Chimay (Bleue and Rouge, I've tried the rare white Triple, but didn't like it), Westmalle (Dubbel), Rochefort (8 and 10). Don't like Orval at all for some reason.
Ales -- Duvel, Leffe (Bruin and Triple), Hoegaarden (Grand Cru), S:t Bernardus (Tripel), Bishop's Finger, Kilkenny.
Vintage ales -- Gouden Carolus, Fuller's, Malheur Dark Brut.
Porters/stouts -- Anchor Porter, Guinness, Young's Double Chocolate Stout.
Lagers -- Pilsner Urquell, Budweiser Budvar (a.k.a. the real Budweiser), Staropramen, Baron Trenck.
Special beers -- Samichlaus Bier (strongest lager beer in the world!), any Kölsch beer.
Wheat beers -- Erdinger Weissbier.

There are others I like much, but these are my favourites. :-)

My current favorites by style

Dry stout: Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Bells Kalamazoo Stout
Sweet stout: Founders Breakfast Stout, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Imperial stout: Bells Expedition Stout, Alesmith Speedway Stout, North Coast Old Rasputin, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout 2001
Porter: Fullers London Porter, Anchor Porter
Baltic Porter: Koff Porter, Flying Dog Gonzo, Dogwood Youngbloods, Zywiec Porter
IPA: Alesmith IPA, Stone IPA, Great Divide IPA
Double IPA: Three Floyds Dreadnaught, Dogfish Head 90 Minute, Stone Ruination, Great Divide Hercules
Bock: Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Doppelbock: Ayinger Celebrator, Thomas Hooker Liberator, Samichlaus
Weisenbock: Schneider Aventinus
Dunkel: Ayinger Dunkel
Dunkelweizen: Victory Sunset, Ayinger Dunkelweizen, Andescher
Hefeweizen: Weisenstephaner
Belgian wit: Hoegaarden
Dubbel: Westmalle
Tripel: Chouffe Houblon IPA, Karmeleit, De Dolle Mad Bitch, Chimay Blanche
Quadrupel: Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus 12
Belgian strong ale: Scaldis Prestige, De Dolle Oerbier, Rochefort 8
American strong ale: Stone Double Bastard, Hair of the Dog Adam
English strong ale: Fullers 1845
Belgian ale: Jolly Pumpkin Luciernaga
American amber ale: Rogue Red
American pale ale: Three Floyds Alpha King
English bitter: Fullers ESB
Vienna: Brooklyn Lager
American Wheat: Three Floyds Gumballhead
Barley wine: Victory Old Horizontal, Thomas Hardy's Ale, JW Lees Vintage, Three Floyds Behemoth Barleywine
Spice/Xmas ale: Delerium Noel, Alesmith Yulesmith
Pilsner: Pilsner Urquell, Tuppers Hop Pocket Pils
Brown ale: Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar
Altbier: Uerige Sticke
California common: Anchor Steam Beer
Schwarzbier: Sam Adams Dark Lager
Smoked beer: Aecht Schlerlanka Urbock, Alaskan Smoked Porter
Lambic: 3 Fontenein Schaerbeekse Kriek
Saison: Fantome Pissenlit, Saison Dupont Vieille Provision
Flemish sour ale: Rodenback Grand Cru, Panil Barrique
Eisbock: Schneider Aventinus Eisbock, Kulmbacher Eisbock
Scotch Ale: Highland Tasgall Ale, Three Floyds Robert the Bruce

Beer styles I don't like: pale lagers, oktoberfests, geuzes, malt liquors, cream ales

Amaster said:

Stella Artois.

I really dislike thick, dark beers. I dont get all the fuss over them.

You should try something other than Guinness Draught. If you're in NY, you should have access to some really good stouts, porters, and bocks. I suggest Brooklyn Black Choclate Stout or North Coast Old Rasputin. They'll knock your socks off. Or, if they're too much for your palate, Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock.

Kid Airbag said:

Iron City... It's delicious.

I had that beer once and found it ATROCIOUS. Seriously, tasted like ass. Worse than Natural Ice.

I share a lot of Kristian's tastes, it seems, which reduces the amount of typing I need to do in this post.

Trappist/Abbey ales, including Chimay, Duvel and Leffe.
Some lagers, such as Czech brands like Staropramen, and many of the Danish ones (Albani, for instance), especially their seasonal strong beers. Bjørne Bryg always seemed to deliver a lot of alcohol per krone too.
Arctic Beer from Tromsø is unusual (very light in colour, IIRC) but worth trying.
Wheat beers, such as Erdinger Weissbier (hefe or maybe dunkel); some of the American microbreweries make good ones too.
On the subject of US microbreweries, the Flying Dog Brewery (formerly of Aspen) can be recommended; their Greyhound Honey Beer was surprisingly pleasant.
Speights (from Dunedin, NZ) deserves a mention.
Some Icelandic beer (Egils Maltbjór, I think), which probably had licorice in it, was a lot better than the description makes it sound (only ever encountered it on the Professor Molchanov - it was one they had in plentiful supply at the end of the season, just after restocking in Reykjavik).
Of British beers, Theakston's Old Peculier stands out.

Generally, wherever I am in the world, I'll try the local beers, and normally don't regret this. I'm not convinced beer always transports all that well, or that the water from one area necessary lends itself ideally to being used for a style of beer that developed elsewhere.

Heh, I am drinking a regional dark beer from the south (Piltri) right now. The "burnt" taste is pretty strong; not bad.

While I like some lighter lagers I prefer beers that have some sort of strong aftertaste, thus my liking for the mass produced import (actually produced here now; but I didn't note any bad effects on it when they started making it here), Warsteiner, that has a distinctive bitter aftertaste.

Beer seems to be humanity's oldest identifiable alcoholic beverage. You gotta have some respect for that.

thats my fave, but I get the extra stout at home. I like other dark beers as well, but I can only get them outside of my neighborhood. I'll also drink the occasional heineken or corona, the family beers of choice.

AndrewB said:

What about ginger beer

In my experience, ginger beer tastes like crap, at least jamacian gb. It's too spicy to actually enjoy as a drink.

My favorite beers are guiness, sam adams (boston lager), and rolling rock.

There was another beer my friend gave to me which was a straight import from Germany. It said Oktoberfest but Im not sure if it was the actual name of the brand, good beer too.

GGG said:

I had that beer once and found it ATROCIOUS. Seriously, tasted like ass. Worse than Natural Ice.

That really surprises me, since I don't know anyone who has tried Iron City and actively dislikes it. Granted, everyone I know who's tried it is from the same place, but I'm doing an experiment this weekend since I brought a bunch back with me to Boston and no one here has ever had it before. We'll see what happens.