Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FPS_noob

dumb question about DOOM (doesnt involve installing)

I just got in to doom a few weeks ago, but have a really noob question about it. first, you should know Ive only played doom95, doom 32x, and doom 3. my question is: is Ultimate doom, and doom 1 the same thing?

Thanks in advance

There are 3 DOOMs that are in a way the same thing but really aren't. DOOM shareware (just 1 episode, that you can get for free). DOOM registered, which is the full game in 3 episodes and was avaialble by ordering it from id Software, and then The Ultimate DOOM, which is the registered version plus an additional episode, obtained through retail stores.

Note that if you have a version of (registered) DOOM you can upgrade it to The Ultimate DOOM with a freely available patch.

Doom95 is the port of DOOM's engine made by Microsoft, and is generally what is distributed with the game nowadays (there's a Doom95 version of the shareware, and it's included in The Ultimate DOOM's releases).

The Ultimate Doom also has some modifications to the levels: the secret switch in E1M1, for example.

fraggle said:

The Ultimate Doom also has some modifications to the levels: the secret switch in E1M1, for example.

That's the only map modification.

DJShrimpy said:
That's the only map modification.

I don't remember any others (than the ones in E1M1). The wiki linked above mentions a secret switch in Phobos Anomaly, but isn't that the one in a Baron's alcove? That's been there since v1.4.

DJShrimpy said:
I thought the E1M8 switch was in the original Doom.

It is. Compare v1.2 with v1.4.

FPS_noob said:

I just got in to doom a few weeks ago, but have a really noob question about it. first, you should know Ive only played doom95, doom 32x, and doom 3. my question is: is Ultimate doom, and doom 1 the same thing?

Thanks in advance

Ultimate Doom has the Episode "Thy Flesh Consumed", and some modifications in the levels.