Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antidote

Idea: Summoner

I'm no good at mapping or scripting or "acs"-ing, but I do have ideas that would probably get me nowhere. I'd like to get them off my chest, though... here goes:

I have this idea that sort of works like the long anticipated ZDoomRPG, but not really. It does involve you gaining experience and leveling up, and such, but it does more...

Imagine this: you start off with the ability to summon 1 monster (be it anything: imp, zombieman, etc.) then with each kill you get, you get a certain amount of experience. Eventually you will attain levels, with each level you get you are allowed to summon 1 additional monster (either predetermined or user-picked). For instance, at level "5" you can summon 2 imps and 1 sergeant, and 2 zombieman. At level "7" you can summon 1 demon 3 imps, 2 sergeants and 1 zombieman... etc. These monsters that you summon will be like what was explained in this text file I got with the latest PrBoom+ file... (MBF.txt Marine's best friend). The AI will be like that, just so they don't do anything they're not suppose to.

This could incorporate new monsters like: lesser demon, demon, elder demon, or whatever. Eventually you will be able to summon like elder barons or something like that. I don't believe that this idea will go anywhere, I just wanted to see if it sounded like a good idea, once it was on paper (so to speak).

I got this idea from playing ZBloodPak using the resurrection rod.

Ok that's the end of it. I guess post comments or something.

Edit: and one more thing: you do not have any weapons, just a summoning tome. You can find hidden tomes in some maps that give you secret monsters not unlockable through leveling. Or perhaps, at the end of a certain amount of maps, you recieve a new tome that allows you to summon a new list of tougher monsters, than before.

Personally I like the whole summoning idea. It's a very different approach I think, and my reason for supporting it is because every once in a while I like to put some cheats on and start infighting among the monsters and watch them duke it out when im inside a wall.

The thing is how to pull off the summoning abilities. Like would you obtain the normal tombs by finding them or simply leveling up? Also, you mentioned different variations among the monsters, which is good, so you may have stronger ones as the game progresses. However, would you also incorporate special monsters? One example I would love to see is the Afrit from Scythe2, that monster simply amazes me. I would love to see it in another wad but im not sure if it already does outside of Scythe2.

You need to get all the ideas together and think how they can work out, but I approve of your idea.

Like i said, I don't plan on expanding this idea as I am not willing to learn how to do it. This was just an idea I hoped that someone could take an idea or two from it, someone who can potentially do something like this.

Here's how I would make the tomes/leveling thing. Map01 you get a tome that has a list of monsters for levels (as in the level you attain) from 1 to 10. At MapXX, you pick up a new tome that has monsters ranging from levels 10 to 20 and so on. But along the way, you can find hidden tomes that simply add modifications to your current tome by adding 1 or 2 extra monsters to it that are stronger than your current ones. This modification will carry over to your next tome you receive. I hope that makes sense.

About the monster question you had: let's say for example you get a pistol zombieman, a shotgun zombieman and a commando zombieman... or you can get a lesser imp, imp, then a greater imp, and eventually an elder imp which is the most powerful of the four. As for the enemies I'd imagine Marines or something, maybe it could take place on Earth or something... haven't thought about that, yet.

As for the Afrit... I can't place an image of it in my head, and I don't remember what level it is included in Sythe2. I would imagine when you get to a high level you could summon an Afrit, as a powerful monster.

And again, I'm just throwing this out there not expecting a bite, this is just a simple idea (or maybe a little complex) that people can take something from.

Edit:

Lizardcommando said:

I think this can be done with DECORATE. I've seen a weapon in the Weapons Resource Wad that was able to summon monsters.

In response to this: no that's not what I'm talking about. I know what weapon you mean, but that's not what I'm looking for. That summons random monsters much like what the Icon of Sin does. I'm thinking of something completely different.

I'd give him at least a melee weapon like a dagger or maybe a scythe.

Ichor said:

I'd give him at least a melee weapon like a dagger or maybe a scythe.

Good idea. That would work rather than no weapon.

This has been done. A LONG time ago there was a legacy-based port that allowed you to summon friendly monsters to help you, you had 'Mana' and different ones cost more. I think the arch vile was the most expensive monster because it could bring most of your allies, and you, back to life. To collect mana you had to stand in these little blue things and it slowly (and i mean slowly!) recharged. Of course you had to place rechargers (they had a thing number of 444, funny what you remember) in levels you wanted to play it on, which was annoying. It also allowed you to use the automap to select allies and give them a specific target, like an RTS, however more often than not accessing the map just made it crash. I dont remember what the port was called though, but i was planning to make a Total Annaihlation TC for it when it was a bit more stable and improved, but it never was

deathbringer said:

This has been done. A LONG time ago there was a legacy-based port that allowed you to summon friendly monsters to help you, you had 'Mana' and different ones cost more. I think the arch vile was the most expensive monster because it could bring most of your allies, and you, back to life. To collect mana you had to stand in these little blue things and it slowly (and i mean slowly!) recharged. Of course you had to place rechargers (they had a thing number of 444, funny what you remember) in levels you wanted to play it on, which was annoying. It also allowed you to use the automap to select allies and give them a specific target, like an RTS, however more often than not accessing the map just made it crash. I dont remember what the port was called though, but i was planning to make a Total Annaihlation TC for it when it was a bit more stable and improved, but it never was

That's nice, but it's only half of my "dream"... it's cool though.

deathbringer said:

I remember that port, I still have it too. It was called Doom Wars. I could package it all in a zip and upload it if you'd like.

KingofFlames said:

I remember that port, I still have it too. It was called Doom Wars. I could package it all in a zip and upload it if you'd like.

Do it. I'd love to play it.