Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

The gameplay is somewhat different from anything that we’ve of done before. [id/QW]

Meh, I'll get excited when they start releasing info. What I like about id is their casual attitude towards information. With Valve, they burst off at the mouth and they end up being full of shit.

A Wolfenstein movie would kick ass. Nazis + Supernatural = FTW. A showdown with Hitler in the bunker would totally rock. Hitler, imbued with supernatural evil, carries two MG42s, then eventually fights BJ hand-to-hand (obviously) until BJ finishes him off with a blast to the face with Hitler's own gun.

Lüt said:

Wow, they pick the worst pictures for that interview.

They should have just went ahead and shot some goofy pictures toasting with 40's, jumping off the furniture, hanging from a ceiling fan, and stuff.

as much as i hate gay informer that's a great interview. Too bad the questions are about the overhyped episodic gaming, steam and DX10 but at least the boys don't make part of them.

I remember Quake was supposed to be more than just another shooter. Supposedly it was supposed to have some RPG elements. Not that I'm complaining, the first Quake is my favorite one of the "series". I'm hoping id just sticks to FPS, but more attention to actual gameplay is needed sorely, since their last offering(Doom 3) dealt a huge blow to that department imo.

baronofhell said:

I remember Quake was supposed to be more than just another shooter. Supposedly it was supposed to have some RPG elements. Not that I'm complaining, the first Quake is my favorite one of the "series". I'm hoping id just sticks to FPS, but more attention to actual gameplay is needed sorely, since their last offering(Doom 3) dealt a huge blow to that department imo.

Yeah, but note too that Adrian Carmack and the others were prone to amending their statements with "or we could just be lying to you and none of this will appear in the game."

Though they may have PLANNED it, the end results probably weren't as good as planned.

Naked Snake said:
Adrian Carmack and the others were prone to amending their statements with "or we could just be lying to you and none of this will appear in the game."

Heh, when was this? Adrian was rather silent or noncommunicative, in general, in any case.

baronofhell said:
I remember Quake was supposed to be more than just another shooter. Supposedly it was supposed to have some RPG elements.

Indeed it was. http://toastytech.com/dooma/miscdoom.html(scroll down a bit to the Commander Keen thingy)

Not that I'm complaining, the first Quake is my favorite one of the "series". I'm hoping id just sticks to FPS, but more attention to actual gameplay is needed sorely, since their last offering(Doom 3) dealt a huge blow to that department imo.

I'd personally like to see more attention to puzzles an' stuff. I mean, Doom 3 is just really the same stuff over and over until you want to cry (though not as badly as Halo did), while in the original Doom games, and Quake, each level had it's defining things.

baronofhell said:

but more attention to actual gameplay is needed sorely, since their last offering(Doom 3) dealt a huge blow to that department imo.

FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD...YOU ALL JUST DON'T GET IT DO YOU???????????????????????

SirTimberWolf said:

So is it just me or does Carmack still look like he's maybe 35 or so? Kinnda cool, slightly creepy.

Uh... He's 37.

I like how id went from being one of the most innovative companies in the industry back in the days of Tom Hall and John Romero to easily one of the least. They haven't come up with a single new title since Romero was fired in 1996. It's just Quake this, Wolf that, Doom there, a new Keen for GBA, and most of those games they didn't even bother to make themselves. Hell, at least Daikatana wasn't just a rehash of the same old garbage.

sargebaldy said:
I like how id went from being one of the most innovative companies in the industry back in the days of Tom Hall and John Romero to easily one of the least.

It's good to hear, I guess. Since I practically ignore games other than DOOM nowadays I might otherwise be missing something.

I think Carmack doesn't muchly care about these considerations, though, as he's mainly an engine architect (and not a designer), and whether the games that use his engines are considered the top stuff doesn't seem to bother him as long as he's working in his field of interest and expertise. I mean, he's kind of practical and self assured.

So in a way I can understand him; I'm "alienated" playing DOOM, he's likewise just working on the engines (which can then be used for many purposes by others).