Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Skullduggery

Skulltag (it used to be Skull Tag, *sniff*) has recently seen a couple of major releases. Version 97B would be the biggest of these, adding OpenGL support, several new game modes, new maps, a voting system, other upgrades, and most importantly, lots of bugs (that's what the B stood for). 97C fixed most of those problems, but not enough, I guess, to preclude the release of 97C2 on the third of January. You can see all the changes, along with no deficiency of smilies, on Skulltag's news page.

Invasion and Survival Co-op are so much fun it's ridiculous. :) 97b was pretty buggy but all of the important bugs are gone with 97c2. There's a couple minor bugs still (some things don't display properly in openGL in particular) but nothing that really affects the game much. 97d isn't too far off either which will theoretically fix all of those minor bugs too.

Bloodshedder said:

Skulltag (it used to be Skull Tag, *sniff*)

According to the logo I made for it, it still is. :p But if that's the case, then I suppose Doomworld really is, Doom World. :(

useless copy and paste from skulltag.com removed

I didnt copy/paste that review from skulltag.com. I actually worked very hard to make it :'(.

Woah, thanks for the awesome advertising, Vulture. As if the news post didn't do its job well enough already.

I tried survival co-op! It was so damn fun... yeah strain megawad (last 10 maps) were nuts to beat for even 4 players lol

Vulture said:

This version of Skulltag (97c2) has a better netcode and waaaaay fewer crashes than previous versions. Plus it has been upgraded to Zdoom version 2.1.7 and supports almost all (if not all) of its features. Skulltag can be downloaded here:

Doesn't quite support all of Zdoom 2.1.7's features yet. I tried running it with some DECORATE weapon wads (Diaz, Stranger) and it doesn't work for them. I found the "Invasion" maps rather disappointing to be honest. I'd probably like em more if most of them actually seemed different. Maybe if there were some maps where you actually had to guard a building from attacking enemies,

Umm IDE doesn't seem to work with it anymore... :( And I dont really understand how to download maps from the servers with out it. (Ya know other than manually searching for them on the internet.)

Craigs said:

Doesn't quite support all of Zdoom 2.1.7's features yet. I tried running it with some DECORATE weapon wads (Diaz, Stranger) and it doesn't work for them. I found the "Invasion" maps rather disappointing to be honest. I'd probably like em more if most of them actually seemed different. Maybe if there were some maps where you actually had to guard a building from attacking enemies,

Can you give a link to the WAD? There are some wads that dont work right yes, but Carnevil is trying to fix the ACS bugs that severely interrupt certain wads.

As for invasion, there isn't a story to it. You just go in, kill, come back alive. However I must say that Invasion online is much funner than offline. If you dont like the Invasion wads built into skulltag.wad, download the resources and make your own. So far its the most popular new gamemode for both playing and building for. If you think they're good enough, submit them to skullstuff and have it reviewed.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Umm IDE doesn't seem to work with it anymore... :( And I dont really understand how to download maps from the servers with out it. (Ya know other than manually searching for them on the internet.)

Do you have the latest version of IDE? I'm using 3.95 right now and it works fine.

http://nfdfn.jinr.ru/~bond/csdoom/ide395.zip

Also Skulltag comes with IDEse in the Download file, and this version was made specifically for Skulltag 97 series.

97C stands for CANCELLED
The next version will be 97D

Meaning Skulltag is DEAD
DEAD!
CARN LEFT FOREVER
EVER

Th0r said:

You have failed me for the last time, skulltag.

What does skulltag or it's community owe you?

Silly Carn, he bitched so much about how Doomworld was useless and when he finally gets news, it's dead.

Haha, the irony...

What's even more funny is that his final few decisions pretty much ensure it's demise, with the way the forums are 'moderated' nowadays and all.

shame... not one good job or congrats. bloodshedder even bitched about bugs on the front page.

"hay guys new program sumbody spent big lots of time to make but it has bugs it sux lol"

sigh... i hate people.

To me it seems like Carnevil was doing this work less out of a love for the project than for recognition of his abilities. Doom is not the best environment for projects like that.

Johnny said:

"hay guys new program sumbody spent big lots of time to make but it has bugs it sux lol"

"hay guys i cant discern the difference between sarcasm and sincerity whats wrong with me???"

Dr. Zin said:

To me it seems like Carnevil was doing this work less out of a love for the project than for recognition of his abilities.

Wrong. While recognition would be nice, it's certainly not something that I need. If I break my back for something, and no one says "good job" (and that hasn't been the case with 97b)... then guess what. Life will go on. The sun will rise tomorrow.

My real complaint was over the lack of people playing... therefore, I didn't feel like 97b was successful. As someone who would like to start his own company some day, I realize the importance of the bottom line. At the end of the day, my efforts weren't cutting it, so I figured it would be more fruitful to do something else.

Well, the last week there's been a lot more people playing as far as I can see, specially with all those new servers up that give people like me (Euro trash) a great Ping.

I've even had the pleasure of playing Skull tag (mode) with proper lineups, and that is not something that you got do do often before.

Well personaly I find Skulltag cooler than ever. The new maps rock so much butt, not to mention the new game modes. All these who kicked my butt in Dwango 5 map01, got their butt kicked by me in d2duel7, payback time muahaha.

I really hope you don't abandon this, as it's the best multiplayer experience I had so far, really. And I know it still have a lot potential to become even better.

Well, Carney may have left Skulltag behind (something that I can understand, after all 10 years is a long time). But it's not abandoned.

Question is though if he'll release the code or pass it on to someone who will take it on and fix the bugs. (While it's pretty stable now, it's still quite a few bugs in it still, like some editing features not working correctly when the maps are run by servers and visual glitches and so on)

Me and my friends are still enjoying Skulltag quite a lot, and I don't see that changing even if all the servers are gone and the master server with it. We'll hook it up on the lan like we've been doing for years now, and duke it out like there were no tomorrow. :)

Carnevil said:

As someone who would like to start his own company some day, I realize the importance of the bottom line. At the end of the day, my efforts weren't cutting it, so I figured it would be more fruitful to do something else.

I presume you don't mean that you were planning to go commercial and start selling Skulltag? Because that would have been pretty ridiculous.

EDIT: Clarification: ridiculous because Doom is a 13 year old game and I doubt anyone would pay for a game based on the Doom engine nowadays, this isn't a dig at skulltag.

So I guess Skulltag for Linux will never happen now

Making it portable might have increased your user numbers but I guess not enough to make the effort worth it :/

fraggle said:

I presume you don't mean that you were planning to go commercial and start selling Skulltag? Because that would have been pretty ridiculous.

Of course. I'd be doing something new.