Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

I'm living in the future!

Wow. This is like living in the future. I want one. Seems like they implemented this technology as well. As I said, it's like living in the future. My workplace looks so outdated.

fraggle said:

My comments on the Apple iPhone.

Well, maybe you are right on the missing keypad, maybe not. I first have to try. Each new disruptive technology has had people who say that it won't work because it is different than what they are used to. The immediate visible advantage is that you have more space for the screen and stuff.

I have a touchscreen-only phone and I can understand what fraggle means. Missing that tactile quality of a keypad makes it sort of lack something. Also I find it easier to misdial things. That may or may not be to do with the screen itself.

The iPhone is very pretty.

Zoost said:

Well, maybe you are right on the missing keypad, maybe not. I first have to try. Each new disruptive technology has had people who say that it won't work because it is different than what they are used to. The immediate visible advantage is that you have more space for the screen and stuff.

Watching some of the demos on the Apple site, it does seem that they've come up with a fairly impressive interface, but obviously the demos are artificial. You don't get anywhere near the same level of precise control with a touchscreen that you get with a mouse. I'm incredibly skeptical of a touchscreen on a device like this, particularly as I've tried phones with touchscreens before and found them unpleasant to use.

A lot of the innovative new things they've done in the iPhone interface rely on having the touchscreen. If they can get that to work, it has the potential to be really great, but if it doesn't work well, it will be a disastrous failure.

I only need cell phones for one thing-- making phone calls.

BlackFish said:

Which makes this iPhone completely useless to me.

Steve made a comment in his keynote speech that the Killer App of the phone, was, making phone calls.

Looks pretty. I get what Fraggle is saying about the buttons though. I have a touchscreen smartphone but if I need it it still has a slide out (qwerty) keyboard I can use.

I doubt I'll ever bother with one though.

fraggle said:

My comments on the Apple iPhone.

The lack of tactile feedback is my biggest concern, too. I have heard rumours that Nokia is working on a touchscreen interface that somehow includes tactile feedback... Don't ask me how it would work.

I think the main benefit of the iPhone might be the simplicity of the software. There's lots of really good phone hardware out there right now, but most of it is completely crippled by the utter garbage software they load on it. Garish UI's, agonizingly slow response times, and horrid system stability will hopefully finally become unacceptable when people see that it doesn't have to be that way (assuming Apple manages to pull of a decent implementation, which I think they will).

I agree with the tactileness thing too, but I think the iPhone looks really nice and I could get used to the lack of finger feedback I think :P Of course, I dont have $600 to spend like that nor do I think that 8gb is suffiecient to replace my 80gb ipod video, and finally as long as im in high school I dont like carrying too much electronics that are worth money

Since I don't own a cell phone or any Mac products, I doubt I'll be getting one. :P

I only have a cell phone because my parents pay for it. I guess it's worth it to them to be able to keep in touch should they need to, although they never really bother me. I'd drop it ASAP if I had to pay so much as a dollar a month.

I don't see the point, and the guy looks retard. But I'd definetly pay for a Flinstone like phone.