Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

Metal Gear Solid Series

What is your opinion?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• Love the series.
    • The series is okay, but it\'s nothing really special.
    • Don\'t like the series/ Hate the series.

I recently picked up Metal Gear Solid 2 again and started playing it after a few years. I forgot how fun/challenging the series was. What do you guys think of the series?

I haven't been able to get into any of the games. I think I have more fun watching other people play it. I did like the GameBoy version, though.

It's an extremely overrated series. The gameplay is pretty basic, the story is ridiculous, and it's not going to make me buy a PS3.

Never really played any of them, but have watched one of my friends play them and they looked pretty cool. However, I don't think I would enjoy it's gameplay that much. Snake is a funny character though.

Gamplay is way too uninspired and dull, but there is something about the story and characters that is kind of interesting and humerous. Oddly enough, I've not seen most of the games, but I've watch my friends beat the first two. The ending to the second one was batshit crazy and didn't make any sense. Postmodern Matrix-wannabe conspiracy theory nonsense. But it made me laugh.

Metal gear solid ranks as one of the most quotable games (although most of those quotes are different ways of saying “SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!”).

Half the fun of the metal gear solid games are finding out what crazy shit you can do the guards such as sticking c4 them, or finding a disguise and seeing what you can get away with. Seriously, I have wasted hours seeing how many guards I can kill by throwing venomous spiders at them.

I'm not a big fan on stating my opinion on the series, because they're games that people (who've played them) either love or hate, with no in-between, and each side gives the same reasons as to why-- though 90% of people who rant on why they don't like MGS have no idea what they're talking about, be it MGS, or games in general. Anyway, the short and obvious answer is that I'm one of the people that love it.

Your poll = broken.

MGS is pretty fun, and it has replayability as well, going through getting special items and stuff. I can't wait for MGS4 and MGS-Portable Ops.

Captain Red said:
Metal gear solid ranks as one of the most quotable games (although most of those quotes are different ways of saying “SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!”).

"Uh oh, the truck have started to move."

"I FEEL ASLEEP."

Never played it, but Snake seems kinda like a modern ninja, and that makes him badass.

I liked the first mgs. Never played sons of liberty or the others. It was a nicley challenging game and fucking with the gaurds was always fun. Footprints in the snow, the cardboard box...

Watched my brother play the one that was set in the sixties, i thought there was some interesting ideas like having to catch animals and eat them to stay alive and actually using stuff out of medical kits to treat wounds rather than just running over one and being magically healed (obviously that idea works in an MGS kinda game and should NEVER be implemented into an FPS).

Then again, i thought the bit at the start where you can choose if you have played one of the previous games or not, and if you make a certain choice (dont remember which) the main character is wearing an Ape Escape mask, well that ruins the atmosphere. And also the pretentious references to the creator that pop up around the place and the silly challenges like shooting plastic frogs to make them spin around, is this game supposed to be serious or stupid??

I've heard many great things about MGS3, more so then the first two. I'd like to pick up the Subsistence edition one day. I've never played the original MGS3, and I've heard the new features make it much better.

There are few storylines in games where you can replay the entire game and still learn new things. MGS is one of those series, to a ludicrous degree. Having only played MGS2 & 3 (some of 1), I thought the gameplay wasn't perfect (fustrating to aim/shoot, but very adaptable to sneaking), but since its a tactical game instead of a twitch shooter, its very acceptable. But its nice to see that each game improves the controls with new features and such.

The main reason I keep playing the games is because literally everytime I go through the dialouge and cutscenes (which makes the game)again I understand something I didn't before or missed, and connect them to the overall 'mission', and its really cool if they include pieces of the story puzzle across sequels (instead of just mere references or reappearances). I also like the mix of realism with unrealistic forces, it seperates MGS from those 'me too' games.

I can't wait to play MGS4, it looks like none of the previews make any sense storywise but i am anxious to see how they continue from MGS2; I thought Raiden was kinda cool but he looks a lot cooler in the next one since hes not a noob anymore, and hopefully old Snake will be badass as usual too.

deathbringer said:
obviously that idea works in an MGS kinda game and should NEVER be implemented into an FPS

I think it could work quite well in a slower paced FPS (something like Deus Ex for example)

deathbringer said:

There was some interesting ideas like having to catch animals and eat them to stay alive and actually using stuff out of medical kits to treat wounds rather than just running over one and being magically healed (obviously that idea works in an MGS kinda game and should NEVER be implemented into an FPS).

Actually I think this is implemented in many tactical FPS.

You mean the Metal Gear series?

Metal Gear was fucking impossible, I failed it to the max.

Metal Gear 2 was fun, although I never beat it.

Metal Gear Solid was great, but too short.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was overhyped but okay.

Haven't played any beyond that. I'm thinking of getting MGS2: Substance for my XBox, for one, since I never beat the original MGS2, and two I love the New Order reference.

It was a terrible series, just sent out to make big bucks. I played Metal Gear Solid 1 and hated it. The game had no fun factor at all. You go around and you can't do shit but wait for a randomly generated solider to walk in a direction that makes no sense why he would walk over so you can go past him. Then if you are spotted you got like 99 seconds before the whole army is one you and there is no way to defend yourself. That, my friend, is what makes the most terrible game ever made.

On another note the Halo series also sucked too, it ties with Metal Gear Solid at the moment, but that's a different story.

Antidote said:

It was a terrible series, just sent out to make big bucks. I played Metal Gear Solid 1 and hated it. The game had no fun factor at all. You go around and you can't do shit but wait for a randomly generated solider to walk in a direction that makes no sense why he would walk over so you can go past him. Then if you are spotted you got like 99 seconds before the whole army is one you and there is no way to defend yourself. That, my friend, is what makes the most terrible game ever made.

I guess you missed that whole "stealth" thing on the cover and back of the case.

Of course you can't defend yourself. You're a spy, you have to get weapons on site, so you basically start out with jack shit. And if you're spotted, you're not supposed to fight unless it is a boss.

i like the MGS series, mostly for the story, the gameplay can get boring after awhile (but dosn't everything?). Snake Eater was by far my favorite in the series though.

You know what's sad? The PS MGS would be so easy to convert to a movie: It's got all the cinematic elements, and being as it's only five hours long, you can easily cut out three since they're just repetitive gameplay. Hell, get that guy from Aliens and The Terminator (Michael Biehn, I think it is) and you're set. Yet I guarantee Hollywood would fuck it up too.

Johnatone said:

You know what's sad? The PS MGS would be so easy to convert to a movie: It's got all the cinematic elements, and being as it's only five hours long, you can easily cut out three since they're just repetitive gameplay. Hell, get that guy from Aliens and The Terminator (Michael Biehn, I think it is) and you're set. Yet I guarantee Hollywood would fuck it up too.

(Borrowed from Wikipedia)

To the left: Japanese MSX cover of Metal Gear.

To the right: Michael Biehn