Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I made this in about 10 hours its E3M1:Hell Keep and made it from scratch.

Its finished maybe ill upload it if people would like to play it.
Alright back to my other maps :)

Dunno thought it wasn't anything to get excited about, it plays exactly like the original so there is nothing new to the gameplay for the most part.

Got some weird thing while playtesting it with Gzdoom had this W1 teleport line to let an caco teleport to an different location but when I walked over it afterwards I got teleported as well.
It didn't happen with any other port so far is this some bug in Gzdoom perhaps?

Runs fine in Doom95 as well only found one slimetrail so far, its fun to do when I'm out of ideas on my other maps.

Your map and the original hell keep inspired me :)
Nice idea for an contest let people build their own favourite original doom map from scratch.

Da Spadger said:

Heh, is everyone going to remake E3M1 now? :P

I don't mind so much as long as they remake the rest of E3 as well.

Plz upload. Although remakes don´t exactly leave much to the imagination theres no reason its not good for a run or two.

dutch devil said:

So an entire E3 remake has never been done before I'm surprised.

Chris Lutz´ Inferno is the closest I´ve ever seen, though its more of a replacement done heavily in the E3 style than a remake.

dutch devil said:

Ik think there is one in the archives I believe Kaiser made it.

[edit]I think this is the one you are looking for.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11899 PSX Hell Keep

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11903 PSX Hell Gate

Well I meant a remake like what you're doing, not just a blatant remake like that.

I've played that one already anyways, on ConsoleDoom.wad I found somewhere.

Dutch Devil, that was a good one. Your level looks much better than the original. I wouldn't have minded some gameplay changes to make it more difficult or surprising. :)

Remixes are my favourite kind of maps so I liked this a lot. However a good remix needs enough of the original to be recognisable but at the same time different enough so as not to be just a copy. I think this map has too similar a monster distribution and gameplay to the original. Except for the teleporting cacodemon at the start, and the other one that starts up on a ledge, I noticed no significant difference from Doom's E3M1.

I thought the stone corridor with the demons was rather bare compared with the detail in the rest of the map. It would look much better with some torches in the walls or something. But other than that it was excellent.

Mindless Rambler said:

When someone remakes E3M3, I'll finally download an E3 remake.

E3M3 is probably a base map that was retextured to be a hell map. From http://www.tomtomtom.com/games.shtml:

What levels did Tom do? Level 1-4, first half of 1-8, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 2-7, 3-3, and 3-7. Some of them were subsequently retextured to be episode-appropriate and stuff, and the new monsters were added

I think if anybody were to remake E3M3 it would be better as a base map (or E2 subverted base map)

RjY said:
E3M3 is probably a base map that was retextured to be a hell map.

No doubt; it's E1M5 in the v0.5 alpha, and shows distinct tech style texturing (there's also an earlier version in v0.4, level 9). I suppose that what Mindless Rambler meant is to see it looking (even) less like a base but keeping its gothicky theme and general layout.

TheCupboard said:

Dutch Devil, that was a good one. Your level looks much better than the original. I wouldn't have minded some gameplay changes to make it more difficult or surprising. :)

I still can put in some traps somewhere its not uploaded to the archives yet, hope my computer doesn't die before then.

Yeah the stone hallway with the demons can use a little more detail gonna add some stuff there.

It's personally always bugged me how the opening to the building in the original map is flat, in the sense that you don't see its sides. I'd like to see a remake of the wad where you can actually see the sides of the construct from the beginning of the map.

Mmmmh that looks nice, can't wait for it :)
I'd really like to see a Mt. Erebus remake from you some day ;)

GoatLord said:

It's personally always bugged me how the opening to the building in the original map is flat, in the sense that you don't see its sides.

I guess Sandy Petersen aimed at a surreal look for hell when he designed it. Still, most other maps look standard. Anyway, the surrealness has been repeated in Doom 3.

I have this idea of remaking every first map of every episode and join them together, I already did E1M1 once but this time I would make it more classic looking kinda like these two maps.

Thanks for the kind words, doom rocks :)

dutch devil said:

So an entire E3 remake has never been done before I'm surprised.
I think ill upload it to rapidshare good fun for 5 minutes or so.

*download text file included*
http://rapidshare.com/files/11863025/mdkeep.zip.html (30kb)

Dutchy, would you like me to just give you a subfolder on tango.dmclub.org where you can upload all of your files on your own? That way you wouldn't have to use any of those crappy temporary upload sites. Really, I don't care that much if you decline, but please don't hesitate. :P

Tango said:

Dutchy, would you like me to just give you a subfolder on tango.dmclub.org where you can upload all of your files on your own? That way you wouldn't have to use any of those crappy temporary upload sites. Really, I don't care that much if you decline, but please don't hesitate. :P

Sounds good to me I'm okay with that.

Did the original designer of E2M1 had an dog? cause what I noticed was while remaking the map the room in red looks like an dog lying on the ground :)

Oh, uh, forgot about that directory I was going to give you. I'll do it later tonight :P

dutch devil said:

Did the original designer of E2M1 had an dog? cause what I noticed was while remaking the map the room in red looks like an dog lying on the ground :)

Maybe it's a rat?