Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
milesaway1980

Whacked2 type editing without using bex files.

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to edit the WAD file itself to make changes to in-level map names (the ones displayed on the automap), and other features without creating a bex file, such as with TNT and Plutonia? (The names for those levels are obviously stored inside the WAD itself). I'd like to make a few changes to my DOOM 2 episode without having any secondary files. I want someone to just have to download the one wad and have everything. Is this possible? What editing programs do I need? Or is there a way to just dump the bex file into the wad so they become one file?
Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

milesaway1980 said:

(The names for those levels are obviously stored inside the WAD itself).

That's obviously wrong. The names are stored in the EXE. The only way to make it work without a secondary file is to include the Dehacked/BEX patch into your WAD.

milesaway1980 said:

Or is there a way to just dump the bex file into the wad so they become one file?

Save the bex file as DEHACKED.bex, and then use SLADE or XWE to insert the bex file into your wad.

Why was so much of this stuff hard-coded into the exe? It would make more sense to do a MAPINFO style lump.

Not much thought was given to user editing of the game way back in 1993 (although some, as evidenced by the fact that pwad support existed), and its really much easier from a programming standpoint to hardcode something then to write code to parse a data file.

Sorry, I was mistaken on the TNT and Plutonia WADs. I didn't know that the DOOM95.exe and newer doom engines had the names all programmed into them. Just ran TNT.wad on my old DOS doom and it had all the regular Doom2 level names.

Is there anything special about loading the bex files into XWE? Anywhere specific? Or just load up the wad and then load the bex file? Thanks again.

If you embed your dehacked patch into your wad, then only source ports that read internal dehacked patches will pick up on it. It's not really considered a big deal to include a seperate file with your wad, anyways. Also, there's no reason why you couldn't both embed one and include a seperate external patch.

To insert your patch into your wad, you need to open the wad with XWE and use the Load command to insert the patch. Then you want to make sure the lump is named "DEHACKED". I *think* this is a Boom (or possibly MBF) feature, so any ports with Boom compatibility should be able to load internal patches.

Also, regarding Doom95, there is no way to change the automap names. Dehacked patches cannot be loaded with it.

EarthQuake said:

I *think* this is a Boom (or possibly MBF) feature, so any ports with Boom compatibility should be able to load internal patches.

It's an MBF feature (and supported by most modern ports).

Boom (e.g. Boom 2.02, Prboom 2.02) does not support this. If your wad is suitable to be played with vanilla, Doom+ or Boom, then it would make sense to include a separate deh or bex together with it, so people know that they need to load it too in that case. Though if all you intend it to do is change the map names, then it isn't so critical either way, I suppose.