Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #295

Not to mention I'm sure copy-pasting chat logs makes it much easier to submit reviews. Not waiting 3 weeks for /ns is a plus. Why care about formality? This isn't MegaCorp.

Tom_D: Zalewa reminds me of Tormentor667. Without the detail. What do I mean by this? Well... by that I mean it's TOO FUCKING HARD FOR ITS OWN GOOD.

Really? That's not the problem I have with Tormentor's maps. The problem I have with his maps is that they ARE ALL THE FUCKING SAME GAMEPLAY WISE.

Even Saphire had the traditional Tormentor gameplay. You'd go through one door, kill some bad guys, pick up a key, find the door for that key, repeat.
--anyway--
It was good to see a /newstuff article as promised. The lack of any shitty gamarra wads was also a relief. Now if only we could get rid of Ruba...

Bucket said:

Not to mention I'm sure copy-pasting chat logs makes it much easier to submit reviews.

Do not get me started on this. You're asking for a really fucking long rant for saying that.

Not waiting 3 weeks for /ns is a plus.

I did this on time. It's AlexMax you should be lynching.

The new review style is kind of funny, but I miss some more in-depth information about the maps. Could we get some more of that in the future? You can't really tell the style of the maps or what to expect from them really other than "good" or "bad" from these sorts of reviews. I kinda lose interest in the WADs even when the comments are positive.

Why can't you just download the wads and see what they're like for yourself? It's not like you have to buy wads before playing them.

Coldfusio said:

I like the irc style, have the impression that more information is given.

Somehow, when I see reviews in IRC style, I get the impression everything is sarcastic. Even though some obviously isn't, when a lot is, it becomes more of a brain exercise for some, which isn't a bad thing I suppose.

Alandoguns had me rolling on the ground laughing for a few reasons.

1. The author named the wad after himself. Funnier still since 3/4 of those weapons and monsters are stolen (Including TWO shotguns by Cory Whittle as far as I could tell, The sawn off and pump action)
2. One of the SHITTIEST bugs I have ever seen had made its home in this wad. The clip thing is backward. When it's full, it displays 0. When it's empty, it displays the maximum amount of ammo it can hold.
3. 3D sprites mixed with 2D sprites: extremely ugly and cheesey.

caco_killer said:

Why can't you just download the wads and see what they're like for yourself? It's not like you have to buy wads before playing them.

I may have lost track, but last time i checked, the reviews were to let people know if they should(nt) play it.

Last time I checked, the reviews were to tell you about the WAD, and to tell you what the reviewer thought, NOT to tell you whether to download it or not. If the reviewer says don't download a WAD but also advocates suicide, would you kill yourself?

caco_killer said:

I like to use the reviews to get a feeling of the WAD and decide whether it's something I want to play. This saves me from having to test out the maps for myself.

Some interesting stuff this week. I guess I gotta wait till next week till I get fed to the dogs.

Fusion said:

am i alone here? does anyone else miss that professional newspaper-esque doomworld from the past? Sadly, I do. I don't mean to start a shitstorm here either, so don't take this post the wrong way.

Haven't you heard that newspapers are dying?!

Really though, there's isn't enough Doom news anymore for the old just the facts ma'am Doomworld we all knew and loved.

The new IRC style would be alot better IMO if there wasn't so much crap thrown into it like:

Tom_D: Yeaaaaahhhh
Tom_D: YEAHHHHH
Tom_D: YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

and

Tom_D: How's that? I'm officially a Doom God now.
deathz0r: Oh shit! I could never defeat you at Doom. I praise thee, Doom god!
Tom_D: Fucking right, you know this screenshot is 100% not fake. No one challenge me because I quit playing Doom for being so good.
deathz0r: So yeah, play this now or I'll kick your (the reader) ass like I did to Ralphis.

The IRC style also seemed to help me skim over it and pick out the useful information.