Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLazenby

Absolution - no more additional levels?

TheLazenby said:

Is anyone gonna make a "third episode" or something for Absolution?? Or is that project pretty much dead?

The "outcast" levels are the closest you can get and, no pun intended, they are what their name suggests. Absolution/Doom64 just didn't gain enough following, for one reason or the other.

Its better to wait for either 1. The D64 TC remake by Danj, or 2. Full hacking support for the Doom64 rom which is being worked on by me.

You mean like, somebody is going to make a Doom64 TC all over again?
I hope it's going to be something Boom-compatible this time, as I understand that not everybody likes the Doomsday engine and all the subsequent incompatibilities. Not that the first one was a bad TC (quite the opposite, I played it in summer 2004 when Doom 3 came out because it was bundled with PC Master magazine following the renewed "Doom craze" and it was so good I thought "WTF, why should anybody buy Doom 3 over this one, which is free?".

Oh well, whatever :-p

You won't be able to do this with a Boom compatible engine. It lacks some features that are required to display the levels properly.

Doomsday was chosen because at that time it was the only engine that had a way of producing lighting gradients on walls.

I ported the first 2 levels of the TC to GZDoom but stopped after that because it's too much work. The engine is capable of handling the needs of a Doom64 TC though. But to my knowledge these are the only ones that can do it.

Actually that is no longer the case. Doomsday is the only engine capable of rendering the new Doom64TC update. The lighting has been completely redesigned to make use of the new bias lighting model which has enabled me to recreate the look of the original Doom64 almost perfectly.

This requires complete control of the colour and lighting values of each vertex in the game world. Sidedef wall sections may have a different light and colour for each corner (up to 12 different sets of values per sidedef) and dynamic control over which sections are blended is a requirement.

These arn't static either. Through use of XG, all of the aforementioned lighting values can be changed dynamically to create all manner of effects.

By using the new bias lighting model we've seen a huge speed increase over the existing Doom64TC because to create these lighting effects; we no longer use additional geometry (or additional rendering passes depending on the availability of multi-texturing on the end system).

Re BOOM support:
Users of the Doomsday1.9.0-betas can see that BOOM support is indeed on its way. The majority of the "extras" are already implemented (e.g. ANIMATED, SWITCHES support, pass-thru line flags, line-to-line teleport etc etc).

I am hopeful to have almost complete BOOM support in place for 1.9.1 (we are holding back on implementing some of BOOM's features so that we can do them the "proper" way. For example, the fake/floor ceiling stuff has been redesigned and integrated fully into Doomsday. In Doomsday 1.9.0 we support an unlimited number of planes per sector).

The gameplay related changes in BOOM have been implemented but not yet fully tested. Due to us moving to a unified client<>server arch for 1.9.0 (even single player games will be treated as a client connected to a server) this work has been postponed.

If you're going to emulate the look of the original Doom 64 perfectly, does that mean no more dynamic lighting?

(Or did Doom 64 *have* dynamic lighting? I can't remember; the only games I know of that had that were expansion pak-based.)

If you're going to emulate the look of the original Doom 64 perfectly, does that mean no more dynamic lighting?

All of the features in Doomsday will be available should you wish to use them when playing the updated Doom64TC. This means that you can also disable features that were made non-optional in the original Doom64TC (for example the plane glows).

This means that people will be able to use 3D models and other addons in the updated Doom64TC too (there are people working on these atm).