Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Maes

Do you really need 99999 posts to get a custom avatar?

As per thread title, is that true???

Says so here. Or you actually need to do something "special" e.g. a sort of secret/particular acknowledgment to to get a custom avatar?

Also, is there some scale which shows how posts equate to "rank" ?

My ideas, so far (may contain errors":

1 post: Registered only to make one post
2-10 : Warming up
10-50: Green marine
50-100: Newbie
100-150: Mini-member
150-250 (?): Junior member
250-500 (?): Member
500-1000 (?): Forum regular
>1000: Senior Member

At least that's what I can remember/deduct from looking at other people's profiles.

You don't need to look at profiles to see the postcount :p

And that 99999 is just because avatar uploading is broken or something like that.

Donce said:

You don't need to look at profiles to see the postcount :p

I don't see any other obvious way, on the other hand. BTW I'm using Mozilla Firefox, I don't know if that matters. In DW, I was never able to see postcounts in directly inside threads, like I can in other forums, even when using vB.

@Others: thanks for the replies. Seems I got the first part of the ranks almost right (except for newbie range). It always make you feel like a n00b when others have custom avatars/titles and you do not :-p

BTW...how do you get custom titles? :D

This sort of thread happens once in a while. If you search a bit, you'll find a few similar ones.

Maes said:
BTW...how do you get custom titles? :D

I guess you're joking, but that's answered in the FAQ.

I don't see any other obvious way, on the other hand. BTW I'm using Mozilla Firefox, I don't know if that matters. In DW, I was never able to see postcounts in directly inside threads, like I can in other forums, even when using vB.

Also in the FAQ.

myk said:

I guess you're joking, but that's answered in the FAQ.

No I wasn't joking, but it seems I got pretty close on my own ("Do something special/secret/unusual").

Well, next time I'll read the FAQ (that none reads) :-(

Coopersville said:

Nonsense, I make sure I read the FAQ at least a week!

Heh, a certain university's data lab regulations "required" that all account holders read the news posted at a certain newsgroup :-)

No kidding, that rule was put black-on-white on the various paperwork you had to sign to get an account, among tons of other rules and clauses. I always wondered if they really bothered verifying whether you read them or not (e.g. visiting the newsgroup, and reading ALL new posts at least once, and staying logged in at least e.g. 1 minute per new post ;-) )

When some poor soul forgot to log out, the "tradition" required to post with his account at a special "luser" newsgroup, typically posting things like "OMG LOL I'm a luser, I forget to log out so everybody can bork my d4t4, plus I DON'T read the general news regularly so ban me!"

Ah, the memories ;-)

If you have a bond with a mod or some significant to the community you could also have the privilege of a custom avatar. Well that what I came up with anyway.

I think I'll just lock this to stop insertwackynameheres and such from posting stuff already provided by the FAQ which has already been linked and recommended in the very thread.