Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlatheDoomer

New Map - Synapse

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=14765

What does everyone think? One of the reviews said that the shotgun shells are unreachable at the start. This is untrue. You start off with the shotgun and next to the door along the other computer panel wall there are two four-packs. A total of sixteen shells against four zombiemen, a shotgun guy, and three chaingunners, which really isn't that hard of a beginning. Ammunition is plentiful after that.

All feedback is welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
-SlatheDoomer

I was able to pick the shells at the beginning in GZDoom. I am using version: 1.0.21.340 (in the properties under version) 1.0.21 - 2.1.6 (r340) (in properties under version -> file version).

I didn't have to clip or crouch, it just let me in there. I'm confused at the end, you seem to just die. You open the red key door the vile comes out and goes into an invisible teleporter, and you do too and to get out, you are teleported into a room where you gradually die. So is there no way to finish this map?

Other than that it's a decent map that is too cramped for comfort, playable though, I got through it all the way without cheating (until the end where I clipped out of that room to see if I did something wrong).

Antidote said:

I was able to pick the shells at the beginning in GZDoom. I am using version: 1.0.21.340 (in the properties under version) 1.0.21 - 2.1.6 (r340) (in properties under version -> file version).

I didn't have to clip or crouch, it just let me in there. I'm confused at the end, you seem to just die. You open the red key door the vile comes out and goes into an invisible teleporter, and you do too and to get out, you are teleported into a room where you gradually die. So is there no way to finish this map?

Other than that it's a decent map that is too cramped for comfort, playable though, I got through it all the way without cheating (until the end where I clipped out of that room to see if I did something wrong).

You did everything right, and I read reviews in the /idgames archive of people saying the death teleport at the end was pointless/there seems to be no way to beat the level. In actuality that was a little trick I threw in there at the end. Originally I thought about having the player teleport to another complex and have to fight through that before being teleported back to the red door. I decided to make a little trick of inginuity to see if the player was paying attention or not. If you notice, the teleporter that you used to get back to the red door was closed off, giving you only the death teleport as an option. I did this because I didn't want players to just run by the archvile and back to the exit without defeating him. Thus, you will notice when you teleport into the room with the SSG, where the archvile is resurrecting demons, a wall dropped where a Hell Knight comes out. In the back of this tiny room that the HK comes out of is a switch that drops the real teleporter wall. I figured players would realize that I wouldn't just kill them off like that. =P I was hoping it would offer some slight puzzle-solving skills to figure out how to achieve the true exit when you die the first time, making the player play at least twice, unless they saved of course.

-SlatheDoomer