Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
læmænt

Secrets

What's your opinion about secrets in Doom? Should they be hard or easy to find? How many should there be? Do you like how source ports tell you when you find a secret?

I posted this because I'm playing AV MAP09, that has absolutely insane secrets - hell, I can't even find them with IDDT :) That's probably just too much. But secrets that are way too easy, like the way to get to the courtyard in E1M1, are also not much fun.

What secret on what level in Doom/DoomII is the most memorable to you? (probably everyone will say Mt. Erebus, heh)

What's Doom? Where can I download it?

Is he being clever, or is he being really, really stupid?
You decide.

I'd prefer the secrets to be the way they are in Doom e1 and e2, ranging from fairly easy to a decent challenge.
But I hate secrets that I can't find without resorting to cheat codes.

About amount of secrets: Lots of secrets, RtCW had too few secrets. But then again, I don't want levels flooded with secrets.

(probably everyone will say Mt. Erebus, heh)

whats that?

Someone get ling to give him a title while I hold him down!

E1M3 had the best secrets. I loved them.

I'd have to agree with that. It took me years to get 100% secrets on that level. (I'm a little slow)
Not to mention that there are so many secrets-within secrets and that each secret seems very rewarding.

I managed to figure it out pretty quick, and I was only 8. Sadly I smoked myself dumb lately.

Ahh... the secrets... I could write two pages about my memories finding secrets in DOOM ep1. It was the whole reason why I played it, exploring the dark mazes, looking for hidden areas.

My first ever found secret was the shotgun in E1M1. The last secret I ever found in DOOM ep1 was the armor bonus room in E1M2... damn, I never figured the point of that one.

My favourite secrets, all time, gotta be those where you jump down in the slime to find a secret path. These were in E1M4-E1M7, the one in E1M6 rocked. It's like gambling about death, you never know if you're going to find a secret down there or if there's nothing but death =]

Oh goodness....the secrets in Doom. There are still some secrets that I can't find. I remember the flashing lights maze in E1M2-that gave me bad dreams for 6 or 7 days afterward. Then there was the secret level entrance....that was a very well thought-out secret and it took me all of 3 weeks to find it. Too bad the level it took me too kinda sucked. :\ Gah, there are a lot more secrets I can't remember now that gave nightmares to my mind for many a week afterward.

im e1m3 i still cant figure out how to get the chainsaw exactly. i just run around in circles until the wall opens up

Theres a chainsaw in e1m3? I think you mean e1m2...or I'm a little rusty...

There is a chainsaw in E1M3 (although that's probably not the one he's talking about). It can be found at the coordinates (X:-128, Y:-2432), in the secret area you reach from the very eastern corner of the room right behind the blue key door.

Theres a chainsaw in e1m3? I think you mean e1m2...or I'm a little rusty...

Time for the timeline GIF.

Anyway, my philosophy on secrets:

First time the game is played, the player should just focus on beating the game. If he or she happens to stumble upon a secret, be proud.

Second time the game is played, player should look for secrets, but without cheating. If this player is of average intelligence and paitence, then only the easy to minor secrets will be found.

Third time and on, player is now allowed to cheat and/or use strategy guides.

First time the game is played, the player should just focus on beating the game. If he or she happens to stumble upon a secret, be proud.

Second time the game is played, player should look for secrets, but without cheating. If this player is of average intelligence and paitence, then only the easy to minor secrets will be found.

Third time and on, player is now allowed to cheat and/or use strategy guides.

That's what I'm doing with RTCW right now, except that I won't use cheats, because I don't know them and can't be arsed to find out.

I started playing it the second time yesterday and am on the tram map, found all secrets from the previous maps.

That's what I'm doing with RTCW right now, except that I won't use cheats, because I don't know them and can't be arsed to find out.

Cheating in RtCW also requires some extra fidgetting around, which makes it more bothersome to cheat. Activating cheats in RtCW requires you to make a modified desktop shortcut.

I don't focus that much on finding the secrets, I rather like to focus on sharpening my nazi-killing skillz.

Cheating in RtCW also requires some extra fidgetting around, which makes it more bothersome to cheat. Activating cheats in RtCW requires you to make a modified desktop shortcut.

OH TEH HORROR OF SETTING THE CONSOLE!111

OH TEH HORROR OF SETTING THE CONSOLE!111

Such things ARE quite bothersome for some of us non-tech guys, at least when you haven't tried doing such a thing before.

The original Doom had very nice secrets, often with large parts of the maps being secrets. I do not like the push-wall-door-opens-grab-sphere type secrets as they are pointless really and usually upsets the balance of a map in one way or another.

Instead the secret could open up a area of the map with monsters and some kind of unusual architecture. It could hold a RL/plasma/BFG/SSG that could not othervise be found in the map and enough ammo and health to make up for the extra monsters in the secret area plus maybe some bonus ammo.

Oh, I remember a cool secret: in MAP31, the one with non-wolfenstein architecture (and also BFG, SSG and backpack, i think). That one was cool :)

Oh, I remember a cool secret: in MAP31, the one with non-wolfenstein architecture (and also BFG, SSG and backpack, i think). That one was cool :)

...but it wasn't really a secret as it wasn't counted as a secret on the intermission screen, but I agree. It's a cool aspect of the already cool secret level (playing Wolfenstein 3d with Doom weapons actually appeals to me).

It DID count as a secret.

It's unbelievable that people in these forums don't know the games they're supposed to know :P

I seem to remember it not counting, but I can't be arsed to look.

I remember something weird about that area and I think that's what it was.

This may be quite a bit off topic, but they really hide the secret levels in Duke Nukem...the only one I ever found without cheating is the one with the busted-up highway.

The map31 out of place room did not count as a secret in 1.666, but it is fixed in 1.9.