Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mac53

Doom2-Zdoom Conversion Question

I just used zwadconv.exe to convert my Doom2 iwad over to Zdoom.
When the process completed I received a report log stating the some of the map levels in the iwad has issues. Below I listed those specific levels only, all the rest of them converted just fine.

Converting MAP02
Sector tag 4 is unreferenced
Sector tag 14 is unreferenced
Sector tag 12 is unreferenced

Converting MAP03
Sector tag 18 is unreferenced
Sector tag 7 is unreferenced
Sector tag 5 is unreferenced

Converting MAP05
Sector tag 19 is unreferenced
Sector tag 29 is unreferenced
Sector tag 23 is unreferenced

Converting MAP08
Sector tag 999 is unreferenced

Converting MAP09

Converting MAP13

Converting MAP14
Sector tag 28 is unreferenced
Sector tag 31 is unreferenced
Sector tag 27 is unreferenced
Sector tag 25 is unreferenced

Converting MAP17
Sector tag 4 is unreferenced
Sector tag 40 is unreferenced

Converting MAP18

Converting MAP19
Sector tag 99 is unreferenced

Converting MAP21

Converting MAP22
Sector tag 15 is unreferenced
Sector tag 13 is unreferenced
Sector tag 9 is unreferenced
Sector tag 14 is unreferenced

Converting MAP24

Converting MAP25
Sector tag 12 is unreferenced

Converting MAP27

Does this promote an issues with the new zdoom iwad? And is there any
other converter that will do this job?

Thank you...

Why would you need a "ZDoom iwad" in the first place? ZDoom should work just fine with the standard iD iwads.

Have you ever heard of Hexen? Well, if you don't convert your regular Doom2 iwad into the Zdoom-Hexen format, then you are missing out on many additional map building options. ;-)

dutch devil said:

You don't need to do that listen to what Maes says, you only need the standard Iwad and you have all the hexen options.

How do you figure that? Have you tried both formats... I have!

Doom2 is basic, now, on the other-hand a zdoom formatted Doom2 iwad
opens up a ton of author building options including some serious scripting. ;-)

Oh yeah... forgot to mention... especially if you're building for any of the Extension Ports... like Gzdoom that seriously supports OpenGL graphic rendering.

Ive been mapping for zdoom hexen format and for Gzdoom and never fiddled around with the Iwads.
And I can do scripting and all the other stuff as well.

Cool...

Then the only thing that's happening here is the differences in the author's preferences. I prefer to use a zdoom formatted iwad, that's all. I would like to return to the topic for which I posted this thread to begin with. An issue with zwadconv.exe! ;-)

Why would you want a Zdoom formated doom2.wad? You'll don't see slopes (magicaly placed in acurate positions), scripts, deep water, and so on. With luck it'd be the same, but probably there'd be some oddities (door malfunctions, and what not), and unused lump entries.

If you're not sure what're you doing I suggest to stop before screw up something.

You know something friend...

People have to start somewhere... you, me, anyone. I have a map that is already in it's fourth month of construction. Furthermore,
if this is the way you people talk to those that are trying to learn something, then I'm at the wrong place...

Attitudes on this forum stinks...

There's no attitude here, what (we) meant is that:
you don't need to convert the IWADS to Hexen or whatever other advanced format to use advanced features in your own maps.

If what you were trying to do was add new features to standard iD maps, then you are off for two reasons:

1. Like Vegeta said, in the best case you will get a bunch of WADS converted to Hexen format which will look and play exactly like the original ones. There won't be slopes or advanced features "automatically improving" the map.
  2. Even if you do add those modifications yourself in order to "improve" the original IWADs, you won't be able to distribute them or distribute anything built upon modifications of original iD levels, for that matter.
That's why your original question made no sense: you don't need (and you shouldn't) modify original IWADs in order to use advanced features...unless you're trying to do what's in case b), which is just REJECTS material.

Either that, or you have somehow acquired the weird idea that mapping in the ZDoom-Hexen format requires a similarly "formatted" IWAD, which is wrong.

Good god what the hell is wrong with you people?
(oh year you're all playing a game thats almost dead and your all looking for someone to vent out at)

Serious though, I can see your reasoning for wanting to convert your iwad, it does help to make reference to a map that's in the same format as what you intend on working with. I did the same when I was trying out new mapping things referring back to the originals.

As for the errors, there's nothing to worry about, its just a few minor inconsistencies in the original iwad that the converter is being picky about. It should still parse the wad successfully.

madnessJack said:

Good god what the hell is wrong with you people?
(oh year you're all playing a game thats almost dead and your all looking for someone to vent out at)

I don't believe anyone here in the forums really believes that, and as for the ZDoom conversion thingy it should be apparent why it is, if not wrong, at least a very unnecessary thing to do.

If you convert a non-ZDoom/Hexen level to a ZDoom/Hexen level you just get a level that looks *exactly* like the one before (in the best of cases), only in ZDoom/Hexen format.

This is hardly "useful for editing" or "for seeing how things will look like" unless your intention was to modify original iD levels, for whatever purpose. Even if that was your intention, opening e.g. DOOM.WAD with DoomBuilder, selecting E1M1 and saving the map as E1M1.WAD but in "ZDoom/Hexen format" will do the trick. There's no good reason for borking the whole IWAD.

It does help to reference the original levels, the only problem is they're in a different format the linedefs for example function differently, so if your gonna be working on a hexen style level (or zdoom format) it helps a lot to reference the originals in the same format, especially if your unexperienced.

And he didn't ask "what do you think about doing it" he asked what the error report was about so dont force your opinion on others.

madnessJack said:

It does help to reference the original levels, the only problem is they're in a different format the linedefs for example function differently, so if your gonna be working on a hexen style level (or zdoom format) it helps a lot to reference the originals in the same format, especially if your unexperienced.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't "get" and can't even conceive anyone comparing an original iD level (with NO Hexen features) + an "equivalent" converted level sector by sector, linedef by linedef and saying "Hmm...so that's the way things work!", especially after using an imperfect conversion tool. Studying a level designed from scratch that actually USES ZDoom/Hexen features would be another thing, and much more useful, if "education" was mac53's purpose, something he didn't state.

And he didn't ask "what do you think about doing it" he asked what the error report was about so dont force your opinion on others.

Everyone (including me) replied that he was trying to do something unnecessary and thus, not worth the effort of "fixing". No matter what he was trying to do (use Hexen features IN HIS OWN levels, learn how Hexen features work, modify original iD levels by adding Hexen features) converting the IWADs IS NOT necessary, and will end up doing more harm than good.

To make an id style level in hexen format you would need to reference id levels, yes? He would like to reference them in hexen format. What's wrong with that?

And who are you to say if something is unnecessary? It helped me thus it works for me.

Converting an iwad will not hurt!

madnessJack said:

To make an id style level in hexen format you would need to reference id levels, yes? He would like to reference them in hexen format. What's wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with the Hexen format, but there's something wrong or at least unclear with mac53's intentions.

First of all, let's define "to make an id style level": people seriously attempting to make an e.g. classic doom episode 1 or 2 remake try to use the same VISUAL STYLE and general layout such as texture choice, architecture, monster, ammo and weapon placement, constraints etc, but they DO NOT use the original levels as modification bases.

True, in the glorious days of 1994, many people's first level was, except from 1-sector square rooms, a slightly modified E1M1. There were even people who released such "E1M1 remakes", but those are deemed unacceptable by official idgames mirrors nowadays, and even uploading one goes against the rules. Original id levels are NOT licensed for use as a base to make additional ones, period.

Luckily, making an iD style level DOES NOT require or imply having to start from an original iD level. It can be done, surely, but it can be spotted a mile away, something you -and none else- surely don't want.

If someone is 100% certain of what he's doing and wants an "original id level in Hexen format" hey, just open DOOM.WAD with DoomBuilder, select E1M1 and "force" Doom/Hexen format during loading, then save it to a new file, no need to bork the whole IWAD.

And who are you to say if something is unnecessary? It helped me thus it works for me.

Seems I am not the only one saying it, I'm merely the only one continuing to post in this thread. I thought the issue was with the first poster, mac53, and his attitude. First he didn't even specify if his intention was to make a slightly modified id level, but it was implied by his desire to convert the IWADs. Again, back to square 1: if that was his intention, well, those levels are unreleasable to the public. If that was NOT the case, he needs not convert the IWAD to Hexen format to make a Hexen format Doom level.

Converting an iwad will not hurt!

Good luck using it as a main IWAD for your ports then (I assume you use a pristine one for them!). It's mostly useless as a generic, "valid" IWAD and only the levels remain "valid" after borking it with a converter.

ugh where do these angsty zdoom 1.22 newbies come from?

You don't need to convert your IWAD for any reason ("reference" isn't a reason). Simple as that.

madnessJack said:

get a life

Get off the forum if you don't like hanging out on a forum full of geeks, nerds, and losers.

I'm personally confused. Why would you want to go through the trouble of converting a Doom2 Iwad to Zdoom format, taking the risk of fucking up the wad so badly that it may be rendered unusuable, just so you could have an iwad that that would be EXACTLY the same as the old one, only limited to Zdoom and Gzdoom? It's the kind of thing seen in Cartoons:
"Oh gee, I know how I can reach that bannana on the shelf! I'll get a C4 charge, place it carefully on this tree, so that when it goes off it will knock down the tree, tripping this wire which will cause the vase to fall to the shelf, thus knocking down the bannana"

Craigs said:

taking the risk of fucking up the wad so badly

No it doesnt it creates a copy it doesn't harm the original wad. Look these things up before having a go idiot.

Craigs said:

"Oh gee, I know how I can...blah blah blah...thus knocking down the bannana"

madnessjack said:

"get a life"

madnessJack said:

get a life

No, you go get a life or an internet ninja will Real Ultimate Power will chop your head off and won't even think twice about it. It's an easy choice, if you ask me.

If it wasnt for MatBratt1111 or whatever i'd say this was the funniest thread of the year so far

YOU DO NOT NEED TO FUCK WITH THE IWADS IN ANY WAY IT WILL HAVE NO USEFUL PURPOSE!

He doesn't want to fuck with the iwads he wants to create a zdoom format iwad from the original iwad ie CREATE FROM it COPY not alter.

hehehe

madnessJack said:

He doesn't want to fuck with the iwads he wants to create a zdoom format iwad from the original iwad ie CREATE FROM it COPY not alter.

Yay, so in the end it all boils down to "1994 revisited, but now in ZDoom/Hexen format!". Well, by now mac53 must be working on his "Doom 2 for ZDoom remake" since he handled the conversion long ago.

I can't wait for a release....although something tells me it ain't gonna be an idgames/ release ;-)

How many people does it take before you realize you're defending some really stupid shit mindlessjack? 10? 20? 100? You're trying to argue something as fundamental as which way is up and what color is red.

Vegeta said:

madnessJack loves mac53! ^_^

Aww... <(^-^)>

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that ImpSlayer (losered), mattbrat111 (losered) , tycp_08 and mac53 all "struck" Doomworld at practically the same time, and all use some old ZDoom version, for some reason ?

Mancubus II said:

How many people does it take before you realize you're defending some really stupid shit mindlessjack? 10? 20? 100? You're trying to argue something as fundamental as which way is up and what color is red.

I aint defending him im defending what hes doin there aint nothin wrong it its not like hes gonna fuck up his MBR or iwad by doin this is it? And tbh i dont care if hes retarded or not i do care for gimps havin ago at retards thou, not very nice.

and if you can translate that to relative english you need commending oh yeah and Vegeta fails it (sorry mate heh).

but yer zdoom is a fair bit more flexible and less prone to mbr fuck ups etc etc or iwad hakkings than ure average vanilla doom which is why ure free to do what you like.

madnessJack said:

but yer zdoom is a fair bit more flexible and less prone to mbr fuck ups etc etc or iwad hakkings than ure average vanilla doom which is why ure free to do what you like.

I really had no idea that doom ports had to do with a hard disks Master Boot Record