Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadowblind

WAD editor that can change a weapon's power?

Google Whacked2. And it doesn't alter the wad, it produces a new file that has to be patched to the original .exe or loaded with the wad into most source ports.

Alternatively, you can use ZDoom so that you can do anything you like with weapons and monsters and the rest. ;)

Im looking for an editor that doesnt attach to the exe but edits the WAD itself and can change the weapons power and rate of fire. Can ZDoom do that? :confused:

Introduce the DEHACKED (or whatever) lump in the wad, by using XWE.
As for weapons power, I'm not sure, but advanced ports (eg Eternity but better ZDoom) support new parametized bullet and detonation code pointers.

Dehacked (or Whacked if you want to use a Windows program and not faff about with INI files and typing in paths) allows you to edit the speed of things, the damage of projectiles and that, but not, say, make a 'magnum' that fires a more powerful bullet (though you could 'hack', as in do it a cheap way, it by making the pistol shoot two bullets at virtually the same time, but this requires a quite advanced understanding of how dehacked files work). You can put the file in the wad by using Wintex or XWE to make an entry called DEHACKED in the data section. Some ports support this (Zdoom and Legacy definitley do) but some don't. Basic doom definitley doesnt.

Zdoom lets you use something called DECORATE to make all-new monsters and weapons (ie not replacing the old ones) and also alter the power of all attacks, even bullet ones. Or even make new attacks. As far as i know you make DECORATE files using a text editor and then import them into a wad as an entry called, er, DECORATE. I belive you have to make a seperate entry for every level in the wad though (i determined this by looking in zdoom wads using Wintex, i've never made DECORATE thing myself). I'd imagine the way DECORATE files are written is quite "programmer-ey", and probably requires basic coding knowledge

EDGE allows you to also make all-new weapons and monsters or have a large degree of control over the ones already present, using DDF files, which are written in a very simple way (people with programming experience get put off by this, though, but i prefer it). There are different files for weapons, things (monsters, decorations and items), attacks, sounds, new line types, new switches etc etc. These can also be inserted into wads (VERY recommended) with entry names like DDFWEAP, DDFTHING etc

Eternity has a similar thing to DDF called EDF, which is (i understand) a bit more limited, though it does allow you to make all-new weapons and monsters etc, but doesnt have as many features as EDGE (i hear) though it IS compatible with dehacked files (EDGE just ignores them, but there is a converter, though i don't know how reliable it is). Its also written in a more complex way to DDF, though fairly easy to grasp if you look at it long enough, or try some simple changes out to see what happens

I'd say it was quite a useful post for explaining all the available options to explore, you know, seeing as ZDoom isn't the only one. Once he's decided which method he'd like to use for his project, then you can go into specifics.

Ah, well i've never edited Zdoom, just looked in wads using Wintex. Hm, breaking up EDGE's DDFTHING into, say DDFSCENE, DDFPIKUP and DDFMONST would be very useful too... shame they aint working on it any more

There was also BEX, an advanced version of Dehacked that some ports used, and some ports used it in different ways. You tend not to hear much about it these days. I understand it was was able to manipulate particle effects in Zdoom, but was only ever used to create a railgun, though, say, doubling the amount of blood particles, making a straight line of red particles like a laser and such things would have been interesting ideas, nobody ever did it