Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remembert

Another crazy idea. [same demo exits e1m1 and map01]

I noticed someone say in a thread here that a certain HR demo, when played without loading HR.wad, still managed to exit Doom2 map01 by pure fluke. This reminded me of a constructed demo I've seen where the same demo file was used to finish two different Mega Man X games - and both games finish only a frame apart. Naturally, that's very fiddly business. But it should be very easy compared to that to construct an lmp file that can finish e1m1 and map01 within a second, possibly with the same keypress. You start facing the same direction in each map, they have largely the same shape, and the exit switches are at a 90 degree angle to eachother so they could both be pressed at an angle in between. An example this simple could probably be done with no tool-assistance.

So let's try!

EDIT: Then again, I can't seem to get an e1m1 demo to play on map01 with ZDoom. Is there a way to force it, or another source port that would work?

You need to edit demo file header to tell the game that it's a demo of this or that map. There's a number of lmp editors, but mainly for vanilla doom 1.9. For Zdoom, you'd probably need to ask Randy about the demo specs.

EDIT: but as far as I know, E1M1 and MAP01 should be the same in a demo file header, at least in vanilla. Probably Zdoom changed that.

Alright, thanks, I might try again later then.

I was really just going through e1m1 while trying to keep the layout of map01 in mind; while that could work it wouldn't let me do anything interesting. I can't possibly get max kills or a decent time that way. If I could set this up so that I have two games running at the same (they'd have to start perfectly simultaneously), with my keyboard and mouse input going to both games, and my screen split between both games, then I could record the demo on either running copy of Doom and it might work. With the current source ports and my hardware, I imagine that's completely impossible.

Forget demo recording! That would be a brand new challenge, and very much fun to try.

I would suggest instead of doing doom and doom2 at the same time, try two different doom2 type wads, such as doom2 and plutonia.

remembert said:

with my keyboard and mouse input going to both games, and my screen split between both games, then I could record the demo on either running copy of Doom and it might work.

Years ago I was trying to record a complete set of Master Levels demos that would play back without desyncing under DOS Doom2, Doom95 and Final Doom engines. Some were very stubborn, and I finally gave up on that requirement. What I almost tried but didn't: Splice an extra cord onto a keyboard, and hook it to a pair of PCs with side-by-side screens, running the same map under different engines.
Maybe that'd work for making an 01/E1M1 demo...? 486s are dirt cheap on ebay. ;)

I actually considered that as possible, but I won't go to that trouble. Maybe when I'm back at home for the summer I'll borrow a family computer for that purpose.