Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bastet Furry

The /newstuff Chronicles #296

Welcome to the newest /newstuff, a little late by one day, but here it is.
Your host today is your fluffy lion BastetFurry, so let's start, and I hope I don't need to play all the bad ones :)
I test if the maps run inside the stated port, but I playtest the maps inside ZDoom, so beware.
And please be merciful with any mistakes I made today, I caught a cold and my brain spins from too much aspirin and stuff.
By the way, happy anniversary. *g*

Bloodshedder says: I have no idea what he's talking about here. But I tried to fix all his bad English.

• Beluga - didy
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 781 KB - (img) (img)
    Nice overall map, but health is a bit sparse and i had to cheat my way through the red door. Might be my stupidity, or this needs to get fixed.

• CDoom bsp - Carlos
    n/a - n/a - 52 KB -
    Some BSP tool for CDoom.

• CDoom objectif editeur - Carlos
    n/a - n/a - 79 KB -
    Map editor(?) for CDoom.

• Core - Jake "The Nutcracker" Stevens
    ZDoom or GZdoom - Solo Play - 5295 KB - (img) (img)
    GFX, sound and weapons ripped, packed together with some bad mapping skills. These 20 maps have the feeling of being thrown together, this one would have been good 10 years ago but nowadays it has a bad aftertaste.

• Entry - Serge Jaeken
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 30 KB - (img)
    Oh no, not one of these tribute maps... NEXT!

• The Exterminator (Light version) - Cliff AKA Lizardcommando
    ZDoom Compatible - n/a - 862 KB -
    Some stupid weapon mod with guns painted in MSPaint... NEXT!!! (Where's the good stuff damnit!)

• The Adventures of Foxxy's Mom - Jack Sparrow
    ZDoom Compatible - n/a - 2 KB -
    Um, wait, what? NEXT!!!!1111oneone

• The Ghoul's Forest 2 - ST Edition - Cutmanmike
    Skulltag - Solo Play - 1301 KB -
    Instagib boss monster now for Skulltag.

• Hall of evil - Edward850
    Skulltag - Solo Play - 41 KB - (img) (img)
    Now that is fun, just after I thought there is nothing good left I get this little fella. If you like invasion style maps then this is for you, I hope to see some score-screenys soon, might as well start a little hi-score compo out of this :)

• Das Labor - Hannes Müller
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 250 KB - (img)
    This map glances with a high monster count (2136) and somewhat advanced architecture. But that's all. Unless you like slaughterfests, stay away. And by the way, Duke3D, even if its only the music, makes me angry!If you want to squeeze some fun out of this map then search for SUPRWEP8.DEH and blast away. Some words to the author: Lass das nächste mal deine Schlachtefeste auf deiner Platte und arbeite lieber an sowas wie Gameplay. Danke.

• Land of the lords - Jake "The Nutcracker" Stevens
    doom.exe - Solo Play - 2071 KB -
    The pain! Please people, before you upload your crap to the archives, think twice if your map is worth the bytes it occupies! And next time, state that this does not run inside normal Doom/Boom!

• Lock and Load v.4C. - pilotobombadier
    EDGE - Solo Play - 696 KB -
    Cool-made weapon mod for the underdog of ports, EDGE. The graphics are well drawn and the weapons are balanced. Give it a try.

• Legacy of Belial - Zalewa
    ZDoom - Solo Play - 4636 KB - (img) (img) (img)
    I don't know who pissed this dude off, but it must be some reviewers and someone named Belial. For the map, very high monster count, I think this is only doable with iddqd or in coop, reminds me of these toke maps, but not in a good way. Same as I said with Labor, grab SUPRWEP8.DEH and blast away, otherwise don't download.

• Onslaught DM 3 - Hobomaster22, Ak-01
    (img) (img)Limit Removing - DM - 2310 KB -
    I have had no deathmatch partner, so I can only say that these 21 maps look rather nice and that the layouts will make a nice and fair playground.

• Scanning Electron Microscope - Paul Corfiatis
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 49 KB - (img)
    Just look at the screenshot, not much more to see here, waste of server space. Next!

• Xuta's Doom Stuff (Pistol Version) - Xuta Woo
    ZDoom - n/a - 3 KB -
    A mod that lets you start with fists and that makes the zombies drop pistols. And for completion a viewpoint modification that sets the viewpoint some pixels higher. Download if you need that extra kick, otherwise:NEXT!

• Shades of Gray - Walter "Daimon" Confalonieri
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 146 KB - (img)
    Nice little map some might play while they wait until the coffee is ready when they wake up.

• Synapse - Jacob H. Orloff
    ZDoom - Solo Play - 190 KB - (img)
    Tough map, had to "resurrect" twice, but nicely done, even if the end is a bit lame. To the defend of the author I assume he forgot to set a bit, so, if you die in a small area you can't escape; you are done.

• Gyrotechnics - Tango
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 137 KB -
    Another small map someone might eat for breakfast, all in all nicely done.

• The Unknown Invasion - Forty-Two aka Stewboy
    Skulltag - Solo Play - 156 KB - (img) (img) (img)
    Some nice invasion maps that will keep you on your toes, give them a try.

The death trap is not the end of synapse. It's a trick to test the inginuity of the player. You'll notice when you warp in, a wall has dropped to a room that a hell knight comes out of. (Originally it was another vile, but I took it out because the room got filled up too fast.)

There is a switch in the room that the hell knight comes out of that drops another wall to the teleporter that takes you back to the start.

Oh...and fp.

*EDIT* Beat me to it. =P

*EDIT 2* Also, a second reason why I included the death trap is I didn't want the player to just run by the vile and flee. The vile is supposed to be the final fight. The deathroom was included to prevent the player from running away.

well a short-attention-span funduke-esque poor review list from a furry is better than none at all

/me looks around >:

Hey, let's see you get high on Aspirin during a cold and see how well you write reviews. >:(

By "By the way, happy anniversary. *g*" he could mean any of the following, this is what happened today in our history:

General Interest
1936 : U.S. Baseball Hall of Fame elects first members
1820 : King George III dies
1861 : Divided Kansas enters the Union
1891 : Liliuokalani proclaimed queen of Hawaii
1979 : Deng Xiaoping and Jimmy Carter sign accords

American Revolution
1777 : Americans retreat from Fort Independence

Automotive
1886 : Benz gets patent
1989 : Yugo files for bankruptcy

Civil War
1861 : Kansas enters the Union

Cold War
1964 : Dr. Strangelove premieres

Crime
1979 : School shooting in San Diego

Disaster
1922 : Theater collapses in Washington, D.C.

Entertainment
1958 : Paul Newman marries Joanne Woodward
1980 : Jimmy Durante dies
1980 : Stamp honoring W.C. Fields issued

Literary
1845 : "The Raven" is published

Old West
1927 : Edward Abbey is born

Presidential
1834 : Jackson sends troops to put down labor riot
1843 : William McKinley is born
2002 : George W. Bush makes “Axis of Evil” speech

Vietnam War
1968 : President Johnson requests additional funds
1974 : Fighting continues in South Vietnam

Wall Street
1834 : Federal troops quell first labor dispute
1981 : Anthem to daily grind tops charts

World War I
1915 : German lieutenant Erwin Rommel leads daring mission in France

World War II
1942 : Iran signs Treaty of Alliance with Great Britain and USSR

That's a pretty US-centric list. Every one of the "general interest" entries has to do with the United States. Also, why the hell is Edward Abbey listed as being about the "Old West"? I love that guy, though.

2-3+ weeks for one-two sentences and hardly any screens? I'm glad my wads were passed up this week....

SlatheDoomer said:

By "By the way, happy anniversary. *g*" he could mean any of the following, this is what happened today in our history:

According to some list this was supposed to be #300 -.-
I think i got that somewhat wrong.
@Bloodsheeder:
Could you kill that line please?

sargebaldy said:

That's a pretty US-centric list. Every one of the "general interest" entries has to do with the United States. Also, why the hell is Edward Abbey listed as being about the "Old West"? I love that guy, though.

I just pulled the list off of historychannel.com

Bastet Furry said:

According to some list this was supposed to be #300 -.-
I think i got that somewhat wrong.
@Bloodsheeder:
Could you kill that line please?

That probably would have been the case if we actually had a newstuff every week. But I blame you, regardless, for not looking at the front page to see what number the previous newstuff was!

leileilol said:

well a short-attention-span funduke-esque poor review list from a furry is better than none at all

/me looks around >:

Not all furries are like that. :P

Ok, I have 3 questions:

1.What happened to using the "IRC-style" reviews?
2.Wasn't AlexMax supposed to be doing the reviews this week?
3.Where's the review for Suicide Bomber Vest joke weapon?

Bastet Furry said:

• Das Labor - Hannes Müller
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 250 KB - (img)
    This map glances with a high monster count (2136) and somewhat advanced architecture. But that's all. Unless you like slaughterfests, stay away. And by the way, Duke3D, even if its only the music, makes me angry!If you want to squeeze some fun out of this map then search for SUPRWEP8.DEH and blast away. Some words to the author: Lass das nächste mal deine Schlachtefeste auf deiner Platte und arbeite lieber an sowas wie Gameplay. Danke.

This was already reviewed by Amaster in The /newstuff Chronicles #289

It is around the middle of the page.

dethtoll said:

bring back deathz0r and alexmax.

Who said that I had quit /newstuff? As for AlexMax, he still has WADs from December 11th-25th to review. Lynch him.

Heh, I actually enjoyed the reviews this week. Short, simple and to the point. I know about he Advil thing, as I had a tooth pulled two weeks ago and took something like ten of them in a 90 minute period. Had no pain though.

Granted, the IRC-style reviews are entertaining, but I like an actual review instead of two guys getting sidetracked by irrelevant conversation even if it is a cue that the wad isn't worth talking about.