Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nash

The latest beta is very unstable

Hi Csabo, just wanted to let you know that the latest beta tends to crash a lot, and also corrupt my wads... it always says, "file has been modified with an external program" or something like that. Then no matter what I press, all hell breaks loose and my wad will be too screwed up beyond repair. :(

Also, PNGs with alpha don't show up at all.

I've also found it too buggy to use(not the same error as yours though).

I'm kinda torn because, on the one hand, I should continue using it to try and track down the bugs and report them so they can be fixed, but on the other hand I don't want my work corrupted or lost.

Well, that's sort of why it's beta. You guys have two options:

1) Try to break down these problems into steps you can reproduce. This includes writing down the steps you've taken and sending me any WAD files, if it only occurs on a particular WAD. If I can reproduce it on my end, I can debug it, and probably find and fix the issue.

2) Stick with the latest full release.

BTW Nash, that warning was put into the new beta for exactly that scenario: if you have a WAD open in XWE, but you modify the WAD with some other program, it could lead to corruption, so it will try and prevent you from modifying the file. Basically you should not do this (e.g. edit a WAD in something while the same file is open in XWE).

I'm sorry it freezes and crashes on you guys, but what do you expect me to do about it? Try to put yourself into my position: saying something like that does not help at all. If you want to help out, make a new dummy WAD and go crazy on that! Once you find a problem, try to reproduce it with the fewest steps possible and then let me know.

Csabo...

Not much to report about the beta, except I started to make a new sprites wad for my map, double-clicked on the sprites filter bar button to make the directory, [SS_START - SS_END], and loaded my first sprite, it froze. I don't know what else to tell you. This is about, "to the point" as I can explain it.

You mentioned the latest stable version... 116 is what I'm using and if there's a newer version than that, then I'd like to know about it.

Well, that's a start but it's not really to the point.

- Does it happen all the time, or did it happen only once?

- Did it manage to create the SS_START - SS_END entries at all? Or did you already have those in your WAD?

- Does it happen for some sprites consistently but not for others? (e.g. are only the transparent ones failing?)

- Can you import the sprites otherwise? (e.g. by using Entry|Load)

- Is this only happening to sprites, or also for textures/floors/sounds?

- What OS are you using?

I mean I tried this now and it works beautifully, no freeze or crash. The latest official one was 1.16, that about a year old. The latest beta should be better, has more features + bug fixes, but apparently not ready for prime time... Unless you guys help me out.

Csabo said:

Well, that's a start but it's not really to the point.

- Does it happen all the time, or did it happen only once?

- Did it manage to create the SS_START - SS_END entries at all? Or did you already have those in your WAD?

- Does it happen for some sprites consistently but not for others? (e.g. are only the transparent ones failing?)

- Can you import the sprites otherwise? (e.g. by using Entry|Load)

- Is this only happening to sprites, or also for textures/floors/sounds?

- What OS are you using?

I mean I tried this now and it works beautifully, no freeze or crash. The latest official one was 1.16, that about a year old. The latest beta should be better, has more features + bug fixes, but apparently not ready for prime time... Unless you guys help me out.

It's happened each time I used it and yes it did creative the entries, but they weren't visable until I rebooted the wad with the stable version. As far as did it happen with some sprites... I don't know, because it happened with the first entry. When using it with textures and/or flats in the past, I had it "unable to read past the page" or somthing of that sort. I've had it tell me that I didn't have enough memory where in all actualality, I have 2 gigs. I'm trying to help you out as much as I can, but it's tough to do when I won't use the beta version and stick with the one I know works for me...116.

I'm using xp home sp2. See the difference between you getting the software to operate correctly and the rest of us is that we didn't write the software. As a matter of fact, [speaking for myself], I have much to learn about Xwe, taking into consideration that there's no instructions for it, I, myself have to try to operate it by chance. I ask questions about certain issues I'm having with Xwe on this forum, and I'm still waiting for answers!!!

... taking into consideration that there's no instructions for it ...

What, you mean the included help/documentation is not good?

If you want to help out, grab the latest beta, unzip it to a separate folder. (You can happily run multiple versions of XWE on the same machine.) Use it on some dummy WADs (gets messed up? no problem!), and see if you can consistently reproduce any bugs.

I'm also running XP Home SP2 btw.