Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Niki

Prboom-plus CPU usage

Hi,
I have the following problem: when I start Prboom plus (last version) it takes 100% of CPU usage which makes OS to crash later. The same thing comes with Skulltag (last version too) or Zdoom but 'normal' Prboom or Zdaemon runs properly.
So if someone knows how to solve this problem I would love him :p but I'll be happy enough if anyone tells me what is the difference (not the version features or so but some technical difference :) between these ports which do/do not this problem.
Big Thanks in advance.

Unless something else overtaxes your system. I got something similar 3 years ago and it got gradually worse. Eventually I had to replace the computer. Better start saving money now... ;)

Here's a related question...how exactly do you find out how much of your CPU prboom(+) is taking up while you're playing? It pauses if you leave to go check task manager.

No, it doesn't. Obviously it makes it kinda hard to continue actually playing, but it doesn't pause the game. (At least it shouldn't, and doesn't for me.)

I have this same issue. Not sure if it's using the CPU to it's limits. But the computer crash to reboot constantly. Specially in Skulltag and Software games like Abuse. But also in Hardware rendered games like Uru. Or sometimes when the computer is just sitting there in regular windows.

I've tried finding what it is causing this. But so far I'm shit out of luck. Anyway... today I ripped out a ram stick that I suspect can do it, due to the other ram stick I had in before, when the computer died this summer. One ram stick and the Mobo died for sure. Maybe the other died aswell. Another possability is the CPU being damaged in some way. Everything else I've tried replacing to no avail.

Grazza said:

No, it doesn't. Obviously it makes it kinda hard to continue actually playing, but it doesn't pause the game. (At least it shouldn't, and doesn't for me.)

I must have been thinking of a different port or an earlier version. Because yes, I see that it does not pause it.

Hi again,

I had this problem with huge CPU usage when uncapped_framerate was 1, with uncapped_framerate 0 its ok, but i have still the same CPU usage problem with other aplications.

Could someone tell me what exactly the command uncapped_framerate does, so i can solve this problem which is somewhere in my system i guess ? Thanks in advance...

The major difference is that it makes the game wait a lot. It's most likely that some component of your computer is broken and can't handle full CPU usage anymore. There is no general way to reduce the CPU usage of applications, especially non-games. I'm afraid but sooner or later you will probably have to buy a new computer

Graf Zahl said:

The major difference is that it makes the game wait a lot.

Hasn't it something to do with FPS or video displaying or so ?

Searcher said:

Niki, I would visit one of the spyware or malware remover sites and download some free scanners to make sure it isn't some scumware that has attached itself to your system.

Yea i did many tests for spyware etc. but system looks to be clear. I actually tryed many things, now this command is possibly my last way to find the reason :)

Niki said:

Hasn't it something to do with FPS or video displaying or so ?

It runs less frames per second which directly translates into considerably reduced CPU usage.