Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

XWE Support for Half-Life

Csabo, under "Games Supported" the XWE site indicates "Half-life (partial)". Can you please tell me what is supported and what is not? Thanks.

udderdude said:

Not to be rude, but you could always pry open a few Half-Life files and find out ..

Actually, the reason I asked was I was trying to decide between Wally and XWE, plus I was hoping to be able to browse Half-Life resources directly from the CD without having to install it. [Turns out that it couldn't be done without installing, and I gave in and installed the game.]

I ended up using Wally, but am still interested in knowing what functions are supported in XWE.

Sounds and most images are supported. Models and sprites are not. You have XWE and sounds like you have the half-life data files, so just try it.

Csabo said:

Sounds and most images are supported. Models and sprites are not. You have XWE and sounds like you have the half-life data files, so just try it.

What I was really interested in was to be able to export the images in png format, which Wally does. I opened up xeno.wad in XWE, but could not find an option to export (or save) an image [e.g., the Image|Save function seems to be disabled]. The entry type for most entries in xeno.wad is 'Image'.

I am using v1.16, and have not opted to use the XWE beta yet. Am I not looking in the right place with v1.16?

It can't export PNGs, only bitmaps. (Unless the original entry in the given file is already a PNG.) There are tons of programs one could use to convert BMP to PNG, but obviously not as nice as having the option to save a PNG directly.

Image|Save would save your changes to the image back into the WAD file. It's only enabled for non-read only WADs. The export function you're looking for is Entry|Save As (in all versions of XWE).