Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DJShrimpy

Hexen - PSX Soundtrack

When Raven Software ported Hexen to the Sony PSX, they remixed the soundtrack to better quality MP3's. This Wad (pshexmus.wad) lets you enjoy the awsome high quality PSX soundtrack on your PC. I did not use any recording tools to obtain the music tracks, I used various CD image ripping programs to copy them stright off the disc.

Download pshexmus.zip
(48mb)

You might notice that the songs are reused for maps. For example, the Guardian of Steel track is also used for Caves of Circe. Well that's how it was in the PSX version. The songs were most likely reused because...

1. The average PSX disc only holds 700mb and it didn't have enough room to fit every song, or...

2. The guys at Raven were just plain lazy and did it intentionally.

If you can't hear any music, you have to increase the "other music" from the sound options. As for source ports, just use Skulltag or ZDoom or JDoom or anything that supports MP3 files and the SNDINFO lump.

Enjoy! :)

DJShrimpy said:

1. The average PSX disc only holds 700mb and it didn't have enough room to fit every song, or...

Yeah, but Hexen itself is ust over 20mb. Which makes it about 70mb all in all. That's just 10% of a CD.

Anyway, doesn't this go under "spreading and linking to warez."?

From the FAQ:
This forum has a strict policy against warez and copyright infringement. Do not link to or request full or leaked versions of games or content, magazine scans, ROMs, or copyrighted media such as music or movies.

Scuba Steve said:

Grabbing now before foxing :P

Edit: What am I doing!? The Hexen music sucked!

Heh, it's ironic that because I love the Hexen music a lot, I don't download this (I know how's the psx version and I prefer the originals).

Didn't Hexen for the PC come with a CD music option? I am sure I remember being able to play the music direct from the CD. I don't remember it sounding particularly great though. Unfortunately, I can't check. I leant my Hexen CD to a friend and he lost it so I'm left with only my zipped up backup of the installed game. :/

Yes. I heard both with many years between them so I'm not sure if they're the same (uh and too lazy to check it out). If my memory is working well I think they were diferent.

The CD was just MIDI files processed through what was then a high-end MIDI renderer, and it didn't even have the full selection of tracks iirc.

Lüt said:

The CD was just MIDI files processed through what was then a high-end MIDI renderer, and it didn't even have the full selection of tracks iirc.

That fits with how I remember it. At the time I had a pretty decent sound card and I remember thinking that there was little advantage to using the CD music.

Heh, yeah, aside from the pauses when the CD audio would loop, I actually liked the in-game MIDI sound quality better. My card wasn't particularly high-end at the time (standard SB), but the music was more dynamic, and I especially remember the mid-section of the wastelands music was actually ear-piercing and creepy instead of downtuned and reverbed as it was on the CD. And as usual, the timpani drums sounded like rubber garbage cans.