Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aleksej

Can i use DEICE installator for free with my stuff?

I wonder if John Romero DEICE install program came for free.
I wish to use it legally with my project.
Any ideas?

Better stop thinking about such nonsense. Either use a real installer or provide adequate descriptions. But forcing the user to use old DOS software will only ensure that your WAD will be useless rather sooner than later. On Win64 it wouldn't work anymore right now.

I know this but anyway i wish make something with immitation of official mission pack (that newer being released by id). Even if no one without old dos machine/dosbox can use it.
With all stuff like installer, rtp patches for possible further updates and etc.
Just immitation of something "official" for doom and no more. With absolutely free and legal content usage.

There used to be a freeware program that did basically what Romero's ice did - ie it created files that deice could then rebuild. Have a Google around for it, it probably still exists somewhere. I used to have it and it was easy to use and to make deicable installs with. Quite good fun to make something "official" looking. Shame that deice was a bit poo in the first place though. Hardly the most sophisticated installer - even back then.

Don't know about the legalities of distributing deice with your stuff though.

This idea would have been really great around say, 1997. And I mean really nice. However, a decade later, you arent fooling anyone with the novelty, its annoying (us non-windows user type people would have to open dosbox to decompress your wad, yick) please use a zip file just like everyone else.

Ofcourse this wad will be made (if will be done) in both packages - executable distribute and zip file. And all this official-like shit just for fun.
Enjay, can you remember how this free installer names? ;)
Found only this.

c.imp said:

Enjay, can you remember how this free installer names? ;)
Found only this.

Sorry. I've had a look on my old CDs. I couldn't find it. :( I used to have the one you linked to and used to use it before I found the ice program. I think it was called "icer" or something original like that. I originally found it by searching for something like "program ice deice id doom". Sorry I can't be more help.

[edit]

OK, trying the above terms in Google, I found a thread on rome.ro where I posted the details of the program

http://rome.ro/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=b6a75484202e5267d4f635920ba40b5f&topic=1595.msg32652

Still can't find my copy though. :(

[/edit]

leileilol
Yep, the same, but standalone exe installer.
Not bad :)
Enjay
Thanks of course.
I know about LHA and how De-ice works. And i made many years ago my own distributives wich de-ice recognize well. I'm interesting in legality of including de-ice in my package.

P.S. Easy SFX is good. And 20$ is not so much for this. :)
But de-ice has very useful feature for my project - "exe_depending" with important file generation named location.str.

ice is in the archive.

Enjay: your version of the package looks a bit odd. deice.exe is included in it, but not mentioned in package.lst, and with a later date than it.

Grazza said:

Enjay: your version of the package looks a bit odd. deice.exe is included in it, but not mentioned in package.lst, and with a later date than it.

That's because I just zipped up the copy I found in a directory on a CD. I couldn't find the original distribution. I must have dropped the deice program in there at some point.

I've deleted it now anyway.

As far as the content is good, I like the idea. Just be sure not to use an installer that modifies windows registry (I wouldn't like to see a DOOM pwad at the control panel "add or remove program"), neither something as annoying as the instaler of "DOOM UAC en Hapal", nor something like Strain instaler.

If you're wanting to simulate an oficial stuff may be you'd like to include Deathamanger just for the sake of it, or the now totaly useless dwango executables.

Be sure to add the id Software logo in the titlepic, and 2007 with the same font used in DOOM or DOOM 2 for the year, and stuff like that.

But what kind of wad is this?

Hi!

As a Linux user, can i please seriously ask that you either do not do this or provide an alternative .zip download for people that aren't using Windows.

Another reason is: I have vague plans to write some kind of menu driven automatic WAD installer for Chocolate Doom in the future. It turns out that one of the big problems in doing this is TCs that require you to run DOS installers (STRAIN is one, Hacx is another).

In summary: not everyone is even using an OS that can run DOS installers. I understand that you want to give your WAD a "Vanilla Feel" - I'm the author of Chocolate Doom, for God sake! All I can say to you is this: please, please, please, PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!

fraggle said:

can i please seriously ask that you either do not do this or provide an alternative .zip download

c.imp has already said above:
Ofcourse this wad will be made (if will be done) in both packages - executable distribute and zip file.

Note also that there is a files-only package for Hacx in the archive (containing both versions of the deh).

leileilol said:

why do we need id software's trademark and logo on something they did not make?

That logo with "2007" certainly wouldn't make sense, but any DOOM wad that relies on id's resources can well include id's logo, but with the copyright for the original game (such as 1993 or 1993 through whatever, for later releases, such as The Ultimate DOOM or the collector's package), not the current year. Some megawads have the id logo on their title pic. Rightly so, I'd say.

Chain Mail said:

That logo with "2007" certainly wouldn't make sense, but any DOOM wad that relies on id's resources can well include id's logo, but with the copyright for the original game (such as 1993 or 1993 through whatever, for later releases, such as The Ultimate DOOM or the collector's package), not the current year. Some megawads have the id logo on their title pic. Rightly so, I'd say.

WRONG

ID grants to you the non-exclusive and limited right to create for the
Software (except any Software code) your own modifications (the "New
Creations") which shall operate only with the Software (but not any demo,
test or other version of the Software). ID reserves all rights not granted
in this Agreement, including, without limitation, all rights to ID's
trademarks.

You may include within the New Creations certain textures and
other images (the "ID Images") from the Software.

As i understand i can use graphical/music/sound resources from IWAD in my PWAD if i not shall sell my creation, right?
In example i can take original graphical in-menu strings, disassemble it to separate font letters and make my own graphical "new episode title" with it like "shores of hell" but another with original doom font? Instead of custom homemade titles like in "Slaughter until Dead" or "Hade's House of Horrors" PWADS? And this be legal?

c.imp said:

As i understand i can use graphical/music/sound resources from IWAD in my PWAD if i not shall sell my creation, right?

Yes... according to what fraggle quoted you can never sell a wad, no matter what it includes. I'm not sure what fraggle tried to imply, but since you can use id's images in your wad, you can insert their logo there (in the title pic usually), especially if it's certifying that you're acknowledging that the bulk of the game and the resources that your wad uses are copyrighted by or trademarked to id software (in the years the game was released). After all, id's stance is that add-ons still more or less belong to them, but that you're allowed to apply certain modifications to the game; the clay is theirs, but you can play it as long as you don't make a mess (that's when you're not following their users agreement instructions).

Adding the DOOM logo and the id copyright notice to your title pic, along with a line that says "megawad" by John Doe, is not any different than merely modifying the title pic or the original logo to fit your wad (like in Mark Klem's MK Doom).

The id Software logo is trademarked material. You cannot use it on your own modification, because the modification was not created by id. Such use would be a trademark infringement. As the EULA says, id does NOT grant you usage of their trademarks. Improper use of id's trademark is illegal, even though it is pretty unlikely that they will care. It does not matter if you are not selling your modification.

The Lost Episodes of DOOM was sold, and used id fonts for the menu.

Are you saying that the all the wads with sprites based in DOOM/2 sprites are ilegal?

In any case, c.imp could you talk a bit more about your wad?