Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Icarus

Help with XWE?

Right, So I've had XWE installed for a while now, but I'm having real trouble using it.
I've read though the help manual that came with it, and looked at Dr. Sleep's online editing.. thing, but to no avail.

Mainly, I'm trying to Import textures into a WAD. I've checked they are PNG files (Or should they NOT be) and done the whole 'Double click on textures, it does it for you' thing, but I keep being returned with a '1/0 Error' Message.
Is there a difffernt way to import textures, or Am I being too much of a jackass to see it? :B
Cheers

That should be an I/O Error (Input/Output), which basically means problem accessing the file. Do you have the actual number that comes up after it? That holds the real information.

You definitely can do this another way: just click Entry|Load. That's the first crucial step, it imports the file(s) into your WAD. Does that work?

ok, so the Error message is
I/O Error 103

And which tab do i have to be on to Use Entry/Load? Its greyed out on all the ones I tryed, even on the 'all' tab.

Also, whenever I close XWE, I get a 'File Access Denied' Message.
It closes fine, but It bugs me. Is there any reason for this?

Is your WAD file marked as Read only by any chance? (Right-click, properties, look under Attributes)

Ah, I think it was. Cheers for that.
So, I've Imported a texture, now what? Just right click and hit Add to Textures?

This Seems pretty trivial, but how do you save the .WAD after altering it? I can save textures, but I've put some graphic files in that I'm uncertain about..

All changes you make are saved into the WAD immediately, so there's no Save function as such. If something goes wrong, you can undo all changes though.

The initial issue you brought up is actually a bug: read-only files should have all features disabled that could modify the file. The double-click on the toolbar was left in. I fixed this, and several more smaller bugs related to read-only files. Plus XWE now displays "filename.wad (read only)" in the window and application caption, just to make this more obvious. It's in the latest beta, grab it if you want.