Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirTimberWolf

Timber Does Phobos. . .

Anyone familiar with Debbie Does Dallas? Probably not. . .

Anyway, this is just a fun little project I started last night to wrestle my brain into concentration. Fairly pleased with the results so I guess I'll finish it.

As of right now this is just a single (probably single player) map but if there's enough interest and I get enough 'down time' from my book, I'll make a complete episode. *gasp* But don't depend on it happening.

The influence is pretty obvious but I guess that's to be expected. I'm doing _my_ image of Doom the way I thought of it while I was playing the first time. . . I have a pretty vivid imagination and I'm trying to put it to use :)

Alright, enough of my blabber: on with the pics.

E1M1 (map01) The Hangar [WIP]

Current Status: 25%

One Room
A bunch of verticies
A bunch of sidedefs
6 things

While I do enjoy the fact that people are trying to try new things with detail, I find it strange that there is a fan that leads out to space. Realistically that makes no sense. Maybe have it on a wall with some ducts or something. Your call.

hehe very true, but as you'll see in the next few rooms that there's a duct system to filter out some of the toxins produced by the stuff stored in the place. It's also part of a puzzle, climbing around in the ducts trying to get past a certain area. . .

Good point though

Being a perfectionist, cutting off those 64x64 grate floor texture midway through kinda bothers me. Also, I think a brown floor texture on the top of those steps would look better than the one you're currently using.

Other than that, I think it looks really great. A nice change from all the room-hallway-room-hallway maps.

Dr. Zin said:

Have you ever considered that it is night with a starry sky?

Good point, although just the looks of the level make it seem as if it's in space... I don't know why it just does.

Perhaps what is meant by the fan thing, is it just goes into open air. Perhaps capping it, or otherwise expanding on the one spot, would, perhaps, make a little more sense to some? I find it to be good looking none the less.

Dr. Zin said:

Maybe light is coming from the zenith. And since there's no atmosphere, it would look like night, right? But yes, I prefer a night to be dark, not like it had a lit sky texture before.

Dr. Zin said:

Yeah, on Phobos. An object in space that hardly even qualify as a moon.

Regarding the lighting: True enough. I'm trying to find an image of Mars that will translate into Doom's palette well enough that I can use it in my skybox but so far I'm not finding much >_>

I'll have to keep tweaking with it until I get something right, huh? :o

In the meantime, heres a cheesy hallway shot :x

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/6242/doom0000do7.png

Still working on the lighting but *shrugs* enjoy.

SirTimberWolf said:

Regarding the lighting: True enough. I'm trying to find an image of Mars that will translate into Doom's palette well enough that I can use it in my skybox but so far I'm not finding much >_>

Yeah, and Mars takes up 3/4 of the view when on REAL Phobos.