Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

If there was a fifth weapon slot in Hexen...

I love these little Hexen discussion.
If there was a fifth slot for weapons, what do you think that should be there? A common powerful weapon for the three characters, same weapon but diferent powers, diferent weapon for each..

I'd call it the prohibited spells, following the logic of what's used for ammo (nothing, blue mana, green mana, both manas), these should use health. Yet I'm not sure if that'd work in game.

-Fighter: Last Resort, a super fireball, behaves more or less like the BFG, the bolts emerge from the explosion, not the player.
-Cleric: Exorcision. Instant hit weapon, cause big energy explosion where it hits, if it kills something the soul of the character appears (unique one sided sprites for each character), and then some fire burns it. The only problem is that it delays a bit before shooting.
-Mage: Similar to the floor attack of the Minotaurs, except that it spawns ice spikes that emerge from the floor, they cause some damage yet not like the instant kill made by the spiked rocks. Whatever hurted by them if survived, can't move. From an animation they (the spikes) quickly turn into rock (before that they can be destroyed), then some lava start apearing (all without particles), and suddenly the spikes explode causing splash damage.

I don't feel any of those would be worth expending any amount of health. If they're gonna be fifth slot weapons they'd have to be way more potent, and they'll have to fit their class. For example, the fighter's weapons all enhance his abilities as a warrior, so he could pick up an enchanted Double-Headed Berzerker Axe. When you hold down the attack key, he swings it rapidly in a figure of eight, his speed is doubled, and any enemy he hits with it instantly gibs. This would allow him to rampage straight through hordes of enemies at let's say two health points per swing.

Dunno about the others, though.

For the cleric: A healing spell that costs health.

I've hardly ever played Hexen, I didn't like how enemies come back to life. I prefer to kill stuff and have it stay dead so I can take my sweet time exploring.

If Hexen had a fifth weapon slot it should contain a medium strength weapon, i.e. something between third and fourth weapon. It really doesn't need anything stronger than the current weapons.

Fighter: spirit lance. Similar to the Quietus, it should eat up both mana pools. When used, the spirit lance should conjure a horse and joust you ahead. While jousting, the Fighter is highly armoured, can fly the direction he looks in, and stop on a hit. There he should cause splash damage in a fan-shaped area of effect, equivalent to the amount of mana consumed. There should be a considerable cooldown delay between a hit and a new joust, because otherwise the player would become too powerful.

Cleric: cross of exorcism. Unlike Vegeta's example, this kind of exorcism should only try to remove the evil from the creature. This would either result in fatigue, disappearance, teleportation away, conversion to player's side, or merely apathy. Redeemable creatures could be Ettins, Centaurs or Chaos Serpents. Exorcism should cost both mana and life.

Mage: constructed spell. In order to acquire the weapon, the Mage has to learn magic words. Once he has learnt enough, he can combine them to cast the adequate spell. The words can be uttered either by assigning keys for them, or by using the multiplayer Talk feature. By the time the Mage has come to know enough words to acquire weapon 5, he should still be on the lookout for new stuff.

remembert said:I've hardly ever played Hexen, I didn't like how enemies come back to life. I prefer to kill stuff and have it stay dead so I can take my sweet time exploring. [/B]

They don't come back to life. New enemies randomly spawn every so often, especially in the expansion.

A quietus that does melee damage would be nice... And ettins DO respawnn after a while, and i think the easier centaur guys do too.

Fighter

A firey double-bladed axe. Like the Hammer, he can throw it, but the projectile speed is much faster, and splash damage is incredibly huge.

Cleric

Since the Cleric is a priest, he should have an attack related to holy water. So this thing would shoot some holy spell at them and turn the enemy from evil to good. While the enemy is "good" he glows blue and helps you out like the Maulotaur, and turns evil again after a short amount of time.

Mage

He does a fire spell, kind of like the Maulotar's ground attack, except it can't travel beyond a sector with a higher/lower height, and each fireball thing that goes along the floor has splash damage. Basicly like a trail of explosions. :P

Still vote for mine for the fighter.

The cleric's the divine healer guy, so I'd give him a divine intervention ability: He calls on teh power of his god(s) to lightning-smite all the monsters closest to him (let's say up to six) and the cleric saps their lingering life force for a health refill. Each monster that's smote gives him, like, fifteen health, so you'd want to use it on big mobs of 'em for maximum effect. Maybe costs twice as much blue and green mana as Wraithverge.

For the mage, at twice the cost of each Bloodscourge shot he'd unleash a scary energy trail like Fire Storm's: when it hits a monster, said monster's health gets sucked down like with the Arc of Death, but it dies in a fiery explosion, its corpse wreathed in smaller explosions and expelling an Arc of Death in four different directions. In a crowd of monsters, this'd probably kill about a dozen at a time.

On the premise of 5 slots, I'm not going to put my weapon in the 5th spot, reserving that for the 4th slot weapons that already exist. These are slot 4 weapons.

Fighter : Flair of Aragnus. The Flair of Aragnus shoots a ) style shockwave in a small radius. Here is a crude example, the | is the fighter and the * represents how far it can damage foes melee style. |**)))

Cleric : Divine Wind. It pushes up to 5 foes that are close, causing them to fly back, the distance depends in three factors : 1) proximity to the target 2) # of targets, the lower number = higher push strength and 3)mana. If they hit a wall or object, they take damage. If they hit another monster, both take damage and may infight.

Mage : Drazluk Curse. It is a spell channel through the hands. It is a projectile that, when it strikes an enemy, it jumps to the nearest enemy and does this for up to 8 enemies.

Wow, what's that mod, Ichor?
DJShrimpy, your examples are similar to what the Hexen weapons would look like if they were Tome'd of Power.

Hexen really should have had a Tome of Power. The weapons are not good enough to justify their mana costs >_<

printz said:

Wow, what's that mod, Ichor?
DJShrimpy, your examples are similar to what the Hexen weapons would look like if they were Tome'd of Power.

I'm guessing that its supposed to be D'sparils weapon.