Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom_user

Why is the player's weapon so dark in PRBoom?

In PRBoom (left) the player's weapon is displayed much darker than in other ports. Eternity (right), Chocolate Doom, and ZDoom are all identical. Why was this changed?

Its a visual feature I believe. The HUD sprite is affected by the lighting around you, giving a (ever so slightly) more realistic feel.

Is there any way to turn this off? In software mode, the darker something gets, the shittier it looks. You can't tell from these small screenshots, but when the weapons are drawn that dark, in a limited palette, they look ugly as hell.

As for the issue of realism, I've always thought that the closest visible ground was still several feet away from you and this is why the weapon was drawn brighter.

All versions of Doom got this since it's something that were in Vanilla. But it appears that Prboom is doing this more aggressively than the others.

Not sure which is the one that is most like the original though.

That's a bug as far as I'm concerned. At least in Doom or Boom compatibility modes. Nice find; I hadn't noted it till you mentioned it, but it's definitely darker than usual.

ZDoom has an option to turn off the weird lighting doom has, or at least to minimise it. But, the Weapon will stay the same light level even if R_visibility is modified.

Well thats better than glboom. Light level affects stat bar and menu.
If you look closely, this is the start of hr.wad MAP15. Screenshot is of the menu.