• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
harbringer

End punctuation rules

I thought I'd try here as well

I wrote:

This is mostly a last resort, but anyways:

When you ask a direct question, or have multiple queries in a sentence, you use a question mark in the end punc. (?).

When you state something that has a lot of emotion, command, or suprise, you use an exclamation point as the end punc. (!)

What is the rule when you ask a direct question that has a lot of emotion? Lets assume it's a informal writing. Lets also assume your writing this by hand (so not on a comp). If enough people say you do this, that will be acceptable. I would like a definite answer by Thursday, but Friday is also acceptable. Does anyone know?

I just do ?! if it's a question with a lot of emotion, and !? if it's a question with even more emotion.

?! = Dubious move
!? = Interesting move

OT, I believe the question mark comes first. If there's a correct situation for using the exclamation point first, I haven't seen it.

Bucket said:
I believe the question mark comes first. If there's a correct situation for using the exclamation point first, I haven't seen it. [/B]

Informally, it makes sense because when emphasizing strongly we tend to repeat the exclamation mark, but not the question mark. People do sometimes use multiple question marks, but often because they hardly use punctuation and want to be sure they're asking a question. Like:

hey does anyone know to punctuate this ???

I think that could just be because there are varying degrees of excitement/shock/whatever else an exclamation point conveys, but there's usually not multiple degrees to which a question can be asked.

Man, we could just become philosophical. Let's roll our subjective opinions into one huge thread. I think ?? and ??? mean undecided/rhetorical/arrogant questions, like questioning a question or questioning the question of a question, like asking "what are you playing at??", "shall I call a doctor???".

Also, why is the Exclamation a POINT, while the Question's a MARK? Is questioning better than screaming?

I believe I was always taught to just use a question mark if you're asking a question. I find that having multiple puncuation marks at the end of a sentence looks sloppy. The interrobang is interesting, I've never heard of it, but it may not be acceptable due to its obscurity.

I've always called them exclamation marks, personally.

The reason there is no interrobang is because punctuation isn't for expressing emotion but merely grammar