Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Doomworld Opens Its News System

Doomworld announced the opening of its news submission system today. Ex-site administrator Linguica took time off from his busy schedule to add the ability to submit news to the site through the Doomworld forums. Forum users can submit news by posting in a special forum, although the old email submissions system remains in place. Doomworld's news page has stagnated in recent months; this new move was interpreted by some as a desperate attempt to save the site from the inevitable forces of entropy. Edit by Linguica: thanks for the kind words. Jerk.

I like the link to Doomworld, it's a good touch in case the person reading Doomworld doesn't have a link to it.

Doomworld is proud to present: The Internet!

Only available at Doomworld.com.

Soon we shall discover at what point actual news becomes someone's half-assed attempt to get their post on the front page.

GGG said:

Soon we shall discover at what point actual news becomes someone's half-assed attempt to get their post on the front page.

Not everything is going to get posted. An admin has to actually choose which ones will go on the page.

Yes. I was referring to posts which are not chosen to be put on the front page. Of course, not all of those will be said half-ass attempts. And this argument will be invalid if rejected posts are deleted.

GGG said:

And this argument will be invalid if rejected posts are deleted.

Deleted... or merely left in the submissions forum without showing up on the front page?

Arguably it's time to start making up some news.

And in an unrelated matter I've just started a 32-level megawad.

Then no one will reply to it. I don't see how it hurts to have that on the front page. It's not like there's limited space there and stuff is just flying off the presses.

Kid Airbag said:

Then no one will reply to it. I don't see how it hurts to have that on the front page. It's not like there's limited space there and stuff is just flying off the presses.

Good point. But the thought of a news post with each GAMARRA wad released, or every new Ruba wad...

There should be some rules set here that define what is news and what isn't.

Here's a good list of things that shouldn't be news:
new port release UNLESS it is a significant milestone, avoids "2.1.9t released!"like posts

every insignificant wad release, avoids "RUBA'S NEW MAP DOWNLOAD HEAR!" like posts

Megawad projects, avoids "DOOM RESURRECTED NEED MAPPERS PLZ!" like posts

Reviewer site posts, avoids what newdoom is plagued with.

Posts saying "I'm working on blah blah project", avoids posts that newdoom is plagued with.

I concur. New WADs being released is what /newstuff is for, I think a front page mention is only worthy for big "projects" or megawads or things that are otherwise especially noteworthy.

Kid Airbag said:

It ends up being like spam; that's what the discussion on the news thread dealt with to a good degree: how to get more news but to guarantee that the overall quality does not go down the drain.

The front page of the site is somewhat like the front page of a newspaper. These don't have tons of semirelevant articles, but only a few juicy ones. People can check the idgames database (it shows the latest uploads), the chronicles, the newstuff folder, and the rest of the forums for minor releases, tidbits, and less important news. The editor's task is to highlight what is meaningful, not to output everything they possibly can.