Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kristus

Doom On The Ti-83

Someone apparently made a Doom game for the TI-83 calculator.

Ok, technically it's not Doom, because from the looks of it it's really Wolfenstein 3D, but it says Doom at the startup, and it seem to have a multiplayer feature, so it's Doom. Right?

Anyway, according to the site this was the first FPS game made for the Ti-83 calculator, and you can download it together with a slew of other Ti-83 games from here: TiCalc.Org

And those of you who don't have a Ti-83 calculator (like me) can enjoy the monochrome pixelated mayhem from here on Youtube.

Judging by that youtube video, that looks horrendous. But, still cool because somebody actually tried to do it. I didn't know that the graphics powerhouse of the ti-83 could have some problems displaying a beefy game like wolf3d.

I seem to remember somebody playing something like this in highschool (7-8 years ago). In fact, I recall somebody overclocking their calculator to make it run faster :)

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/51/5149.html

Friend of mine did the bulk, I helped a bit and did an unreleased port for the 86 (virtually the same, just a few minor changes and a hacked up freelook). It's made in basic, and is really intended for overclocked calcs only. The basic drawing routines are too slow for a regular speed calc. It uses a matrix object for map data. 0's are open, 1's are walls and 2 is exit.

Yay Manc, good news.
Is it possible to get the Basic source code? The zip file just gives something that seems already compiled, and I can’t tranfer data from and to my Ti-86.

I'm very adept at programming TI calculators, up through the 86. Though I've only delved into basic, and haven't programmed anything in probably five years now. I actually still have an incomplete game on my calculator. All the extra memory the 86 afforded made it hard for me to finish anything, because it would get extremely complicated and hard to work on.

Overclocked calculators? Hahahahaha, just when I think I've heard it all.

The HP 49G+/50G can be overclocked to 203 MHz. It has an SD slot and supports cards up to 2GB. It's possible to program in C. I want to port Doom to it, but I suck too much. If any source port authors honestly think they can do the job, I'd be willing to send them my old 49G+ and a small SD card. I don't need it anymore because I have a 50G.

When ah' whar't lad, calc'laters did sums n that...

Anyway, some of the other games for it look interesting, flicker free Repton? the BBC Micro didn't have that! (well the 24k ones didnt, i had a 32k one later on, but most of my game disks had stopped working)

Yeah that's definitely Wolf3D. Someone forgot what game he was porting.

ducon said:

Yay Manc, good news.
Is it possible to get the Basic source code? The zip file just gives something that seems already compiled, and I can’t tranfer data from and to my Ti-86.

Yeah what's included is a group file, which basically contains the source, the titlescreen and an example map file. If I can find the source for this stuff I'll post it.

EDIT: I am not sure but I think you can open group files in the ti software, it's been a long time though...

EDIT2: Ok I found some stuff here. They're in the 86 format, so they won't load directly onto an 85, but it is still essentially (I think) the 85 version of the source in at least one of these packages. I don't think either of these include my gun sprite and freelook hack.

http://mikelightner.org/projects/calc/maze3dsrc.zip
http://mikelightner.org/projects/calc/wride_maze3d.zip

JoelMurdoch said:

Overclocked calculators? Hahahahaha, just when I think I've heard it all.

All it was was just popping off a capacitor. You got about 3x the speed on an 85 or 86, but it also took more juice. Some plans on the internut also included a little flip switch you could put on the side, but I gave up on that attempt and just popped them off.

Mancubus II said:

All it was was just popping off a capacitor. You got about 3x the speed on an 85 or 86, but it also took more juice. Some plans on the internut also included a little flip switch you could put on the side, but I gave up on that attempt and just popped them off.

Heh, all you have to do to change the clock speed on an HP 49G+/50G is run a program. I wanted to overlock my brother's TI-83+, but he wouldn't let me.

Instead of trying to overclock calculators, why not just use a Game Boy? And if it's because you only want one gadget, how about just taping the calculator to the back of the Game Boy? Then you have the ultimate math-slacker device!

Scripted programs on a TI-83 run at 1/150th of the speed of an AMD K6/400, not sure about TI-83 ASM.

GGG said:

Instead of trying to overclock calculators, why not just use a Game Boy?

Because I own a Ti-86 and no GameBoy.

GGG said:

Instead of trying to overclock calculators, why not just use a Game Boy?

Because a Game Boy runs at barely over 4 MHz?

exp(x) said:

Because a Game Boy runs at barely over 4 MHz?

Actually, the Gameboy would handle similar graphics quite nicely.
The Ti-83 may be running at more MHz, but it is effectively using a 4-bit CPU and it lacks any oldskool console-like graphics acceleration, unlike the Gameboy (compare this to how a 3.57 MHz SNES kicked any 486 based PC'ass, when it came to scolling/scaling/rotating some bitmaps, or how a 33 MHz Playstation easily kicked any PC's ass, up to 300 MHz or something, even when the Pee-Cees could use some early 3D accelerator board.

There was a "Doom" port for the ZX spectrum, which looked somewhat better than the Ti-83 (it was monochrome, but there was a semblance of textures), so I don't see why a Gameboy couldn't handle it too, and probably better than both platforms.

Anyway, both the "Doom for ZX Spectrum" thing as well as the Ti-83 "Doom" are both Wolf3D-ish and are clearly hobbyist attempts

The most low-spec "True Doom" port (in the sense that it has a reasonable color count, lighting, rendering etc.) is an unofficial hobbyist-madel Sega Genesis/Mega Drive port that supposedly runs of the basic hardware (without the 32X addon) at 20 fps (I need to dig up the link for that..)

Maes said:

Actually, the Gameboy would handle similar graphics quite nicely.
The Ti-83 may be running at more MHz, but it is effectively using a 4-bit CPU and it lacks any oldskool console-like graphics acceleration, unlike the Gameboy

Well, yeah, I'd rather have a gameboy over any of the TI calculators. Non-reverse polish notation calculators suck ;)

Sign in to follow this