Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enjay

An Austere Announcement

Tormentor667, our favourite detail meister, has made it known that his project "Austerity" - a tribute to AgentSpork's "Simplicity" - has been released with an optimised MAP01 and two more completely new maps inspired by Matthew McGee's latest project in terms of both gameplay and level design.

I'll leave Torm to describe it in his own words...

I tried to combine my style of mapping and resource choice with the way AgentSpork's maps in Simplicity, you will even find some interesting gameplay challenges to keep you entertained for a while ;)

AgentSpork reinterpreted by Tormentor667? Will it work? Find out for yourself. Download Austerity v2 right now from the Realm667!

I've only started playing it myself and it seems very nice so far...

I tried it and I honestly didn't like it. It felt like your average Tormentor map. Excessive usage of hallways, Predictable and boring gameplay (You pick up a key or throw a switch, and monsters ambush you and then you do the same thing several times), and ********** ammounts of overdetail and sectors. I can't say I like the way Tormentor acts so smug about his maps either... <_<;

What the crap man. Why is it that tormentor's map gets a news post? It's not even of very high significance to earn one!

Chrono_T said:

What the crap man. Why is it that tormentor's map gets a news post? It's not even of very high significance to earn one!

To be honest, we'll have to be realistic here.

Torm has, on occasion, released quality maps. Not all the time, but enough to consider him a good enough mapper to warrant a news post. It'd be like if Kurt Kessler or Kristus released a new project, as opposed to say...me.

It never hurts to report on PWADs on occasion, especially on what would otherwise be considered a slow news day.

Torm : glad your post made it to the front page? See, it's not that hard to get somebody else to report for ya :)

Oh the drama. It's just scrumptious. :P~

My personal stance is that whatever anyone's opinion is of Tormentor and or his maps, I can't see anything wrong with reporting about his projects being released. It's news, sort of. And some people do like them.

Plus, it gives people a sliver of a reason to bitch, and we all love that. Don't we?

Craigs said:

I tried it and I honestly didn't like it. It felt like your average Tormentor map. Excessive usage of hallways, Predictable and boring gameplay (You pick up a key or throw a switch, and monsters ambush you and then you do the same thing several times), and ********** ammounts of overdetail and sectors. I can't say I like the way Tormentor acts so smug about his maps either... <_<;

Antidote said:

[..]The only thing I didn't like so much was the linearity of it, but that what simplicity was about. You know the find a key/switch to open a door. Other than that the gameplay was good enough[..]

And who says I act smug? I'm proud of my creations and I quite like it, shouldn't every mapper feel so about his stuff? I think everyone does considering the fact that everyone releases that and wants to have some positive feedback.

Concerning the "News Thingie", I have to agree with Kristus and I by myself would also be happier to see more release news items on Doomworld :( No matter from who as long as those releases are considered to be interesting for a few persons :)

So Torm, when can I expect you to finish Simplicity for me? I've just about given up on the whole doom mapping thing for the time being, so if you could be a pal and finish it for me that'd be great. :P

Csonicgo said:

RIP Doomworld 1998-2007

Hahahah man you missed the good old days of Doomworld flamewars. Like when I fired prower and for some reason a bunch of people decided I was Satan. Or the furry with the "NUKE DOOMWORLD" webpage. Or the Aurican-cheating scandal. Or the Doomserv thing. Or the giant falling out between me and Lut after dashiva faked his death. Or etc etc...

Linguica said:

Or the giant falling out between me and Lut after dashiva faked his death. Or etc etc...

That was classic, to say the least.

RIP Doomworld 1998-2007

CSonicGo
Dumbass

Chrono_T said:

WTF.... You can hit any gaming news site (or other news site) on this planet and see news items of various interest to different people. You're supposed to look through the various items on the news page and read what interests you and investigate the available links if you want.... and anything you find of little interest you don't have to read or investigate. If you go on Blues News or PlanetQuake or read the local newspaper, you'll find things there you want to read and stuff you don't give a shit about, but it doesn't mean the stuff that you find uninteresting shouldn't be there. Somebody else is going to be interested in that other stuff and having a variety of items makes things more interesting overall. That's what I think anyways.

Hard work deserves some credit and Tormentor is no exception: A job well done for sure!

Funny, people complained about the lack of news, and now that the front page is updated, they complain about the content. Tormentor is a known mapper, and I've always enjoyed his maps. He obviously worked a fair amount on this level set, and people know who he is, so why shouldn't he get a news post when he releases something? If you're butthurt about him getting a news post, then make a .wad and submit it as a news item. If your work is quality, and it doesn't get posted, then you have a reason to be upset. Until then, no one has forced you to read the post or download the level, so move on. There's more important things in life to worry about.

Plus the "smug" thing. He creates levels, and when he's happy with them, and proud of them, he releases them and hopes other people will enjoy them. People are supposed to be proud of the things they create.

Jello said:

Funny, people complained about the lack of news, and now that the front page is updated, they complain about the content. Tormentor is a known mapper, and I've always enjoyed his maps. He obviously worked a fair amount on this level set, and people know who he is, so why shouldn't he get a news post when he releases something? If you're butthurt about him getting a news post, then make a .wad and submit it as a news item. If your work is quality, and it doesn't get posted, then you have a reason to be upset. Until then, no one has forced you to read the post or download the level, so move on. There's more important things in life to worry about.

Plus the "smug" thing. He creates levels, and when he's happy with them, and proud of them, he releases them and hopes other people will enjoy them. People are supposed to be proud of the things they create.

Agreed...Couldn't have said it better myself.

AgentSpork said:

So Torm, when can I expect you to finish Simplicity for me? I've just about given up on the whole doom mapping thing for the time being, so if you could be a pal and finish it for me that'd be great. :P

Well I can't take this serious ;) but thx alot, I'm glad you liked Austerity ;)

Scuba Steve said:

I enjoyed Austerity, particularly map 3.

Glad to hear that Scuba :)

Chris Hansen said:

Hard work deserves some credit and Tormentor is no exception: A job well done for sure!

Thx Chris, always happy when I get a good feedback from you :)

Conc. the News thing:
@DoomDude - Exactly what I think, ... oh and thx for posting Realm667 news from time to time on Newdoom.com :)

Jello said:

Exactly!

Looks great, plays a little better than Austerity, but I'd still have to say the layouts are considerably uninteresting at most parts.

Map 1 - my favourite. I really like clean, blue and silver tech bases. This one was good and, in an unrealistic Doom kind of way, felt like quite a real place. The gameplay was fine. I'm not sure about the monsters that spawned as you re-walked the map after getting a key, but I also thought the spawnings were handled fairly well. It's just not an aspect of gaming that I like generally.

Map 2 - I'm less keen on the browny textures but, like the first map, this one was packed with a level of detail that made it feel real without over crowding it and interfering with playing. I don't know what they were supposed to be doing in this base, but it definitely felt like it had some kind of purpose before the invasion of the hellspawn.

Map 3 - Had some very good looking areas and effects. The use of the skybox was very effective at times and I enjoyed chasing the yellow skull through the level - an entertaining puzzle that I thought was well handled: frustrating in a good way because, although the thing kept running away, I knew where to go to find it again. The theme is not one I like as much as that of Map01 or Map02 but the look and "trimming" of the level was very well done IMO and really good looking in some places.

Psycho Siggi said:

Corridor 7

Greatest and most useful feedback of all time, thx :)

@Enjay - Glad that you liked it :) And thx for posting the news!

Tormentor667 said:

Well I can't take this serious ;) but thx alot, I'm glad you liked Austerity ;)

Actually, I was being dead serious. If you're at all interested in doing anything with it, you can find the unfinished project here. It has all of the unfinished maps, MAP25-28 and MAP31-32. Just don't separate those maps from the rest of the project and you're free to do whatever you like to them. Even if you're not interested, oh well. I don't really care. :D

But why? Why don't you finish it on your own? Well.. I surely could do this and it'd be a great honor for me... though I wouldn't do it alone, 1 or 2 persons guiding me through this while working on Simplicity would be a big help, to make a consistency of quality and style sure...

Linguica said:

Or the Doomserv thing.

The csdoom flamewar where tom_ took over the #csdoom IRC channel after _Fly_ refused to release the source code was funnier, IMO.

The flamewar where Ola got pissed off at Nick for taking textures and remaking them and putting them in Execution DM .. That was a good one.