Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glassyman

Which is the best game made in 1990s by ID Software after Doom and Doom2?

Choose the third best game among these  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the third best game among these

• Wolfenstein 3D
    • Heretic (not really id)
    • Hexen (not really id)
    • Quake
    • Quake 2
    • Commander Keen
    • Quake 3

We all know Doom and Doom 2 are the best games made in 1990s by ID software. But which is the third best game? Please motivate your choice
if you want.

I would debate having Heretic and Hexen on there (Raven deserves a little credit, I guess ;) but I'll go with Quake 1. Q2's single player was better, but Q1's multiplayer kept me entertained for the better part of a decade. Perhaps misspent youth, but there are definitely worse things to spend it on.

Quake2. For me it was better than Quake1 in every way. Loved it in DM.

Why is Heretic and Hexen on the list, it's not by Id, it's by Romero and Raven. And where's Doom3, Quake3, Commander Keen, Catacombs 3d and Dangerous Dave and the Copyright infrigment(:p)?
Commander Keen in particular. Since it's their longest running series aswell as the game that they made first for Id.

kristus said:

Commander Keen in particular. Since it's their longest running series aswell as the game that they made first for Id.

I don't have it so I want to know which game is best among those that I have.

kristus said:

And where's Doom3...?

I wouldn't consider that 1990s.

Glassyman said:

I don't have it so I want to know which game is best among those that I have.

Can't you make up your own mind?

It was a hard decision between Quake and Quake 2, but I chose Quake 2 since I played that more.

For single player and coop games, I'd go with Quake 2. The maps and enemies were cooler. For DM games, I'd go with Quake. It was alot more fast-paced and the weapons were kinda balanced in my opinion.

leileilol said:

Wolf3d didn't come after Doom you idiot

*sigh* he meant after as in doom and doom2 were first and second, and whichever was third.

leileilol said:

Wolf3d didn't come after Doom you idiot

If you read the question with attention, you will understand. I know Wolf3D was released first than Doom. I want to learn opinions of other Doomers. Talk sense and don't insult anybody otherwise you double idiot.

What about Catacombs 3D? :-)

kristus said:
Quake2. For me it was better than Quake1 in every way. Loved it in DM.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. Even though Quake set the standard for future online FPS games, Q2 deathmatch seemed to play much more like Doom to me. Could have been the weapon balance... or maybe just the fact I didn't actually own Quake during its heyday but had Doom/Doom II and Quake 2 shortly after their releases...

Quake and Heretic are the only two on the list I've played through completely. And Quake 3 and Commander Keen I've never even touched. Given my limited experience, I'd probably go with Quake, though Wolfenstein was always fun.

GGG said:

I wouldn't consider that 1990s.

But Doom 3 was announced in 2000, which according to some "there was no year 0" Nazis, was actually part of the 90's decade.

Quake for me, with Quake 2 as a close fourth. Quake 2 was a great game, but I prefer Quake's pseudo-horror and Lovecraftian inspiration better. It's one of the few games to pull off a mismash of different thematic elements in a decent way. Plus it jumpstarted internet play and modding.

Don't get me wrong, Doom had all of those things too, but every modern true 3D FPS game owes something to Quake. It's strange when you notice just how little FPS gaming has advanced since then. No amount of story, level design, graphics or gameplay can really cover the basic design elements lifted from Quake.

Quake 2 I like about as much as the original Doom. It had awesome signel player, and even more awesome deathmatch. I spent hours and hours playing that over the internet back when I had dialup.

I'm gonna have to go with Commander Keen. All of the other games listed range from bad to okay, in my opinion.

Keen, duh.

Quake, Hexen, Heretic, Quake 3, Wolf3D, and Quake 2 would follow, and in that order.

My answer would have to be Quake, Wolf 3D, Keen and Quake II.

GooberMan said:

People still make these topics?

No. Only n00bs do. They never think that, on a board as old as this one, maybe some topics have been done before.