Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EvilDeaditeBoy

Best weapon replacement WAD ever

Well my favorites are Immoral Conduct: Special Edition for edge, Soldier Stockpile (formerly marines of uac) for edge, and Zen Dynamics for Zdoom, which also comes with an insanely hard set of levels. I don't have links for them right now, but they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Oh yes, the ICD Lizard Commando .wad is pretty funny too, if you like lots of ms paint weapons.

Don't play ICD-Lizard. The guns look like crap compared to the ones The Exterminator. The Exterminator is basically a remade version of ICD-Lizard, but with no Lizard bad guys (not yet, anyways) and it's for ZDoom.

Blatant self-promoting aside, play Immoral Conduct: Special Edition. That's the undisputed grand daddy of all Doom weapons mods. Also, check out some of Wildweasel's stuff.

Why are all the undisputed "good" weapon replacements are for EDGE? I'm not bad mouthing EDGE, I'm just curious... is it easier to use, or something?

For a long time EDGE was the only source port that had the capabilities of easily defining new weapons. Until last year it was practically the only choice a weapon modder had.

omgwpns is good because it's not completely redundant weaponry and it doesn't try to be Cory Whittle. (Infact it's often bashed because deathz0r didn't go forth and rip sprites from other games, which every other weapon mod does)

leileilol said:

omgwpns is good because it's not completely redundant weaponry and it doesn't try to be Cory Whittle. (Infact it's often bashed because deathz0r didn't go forth and rip sprites from other games, which every other weapon mod does)

Bashed? Really? I thought it was pretty fun. Some of the new weapons are cool. Same goes for the new monsters.

Another issue I believe, was that in zdoom reloadable weapons were very hard to make. Apparently Zen Dynamics was the first zdoom .wad where reloadable weapons really worked, and even so you can only use them in that .wad. From what I can see it requires a script to work, and unless that level is designed for it, they won't reload. I guess Edge is just far easier to make good weapons mods for.

Lizardcommando said:

Don't play ICD-Lizard. The guns look like crap compared to the ones The Exterminator. The Exterminator is basically a remade version of ICD-Lizard, but with no Lizard bad guys (not yet, anyways) and it's for ZDoom.

Oh yeah, I forgot about The Exterminator. The weapons do look better, but I didn't like it quite as much. I liked the vast array of bullet weapons in ICD-Lizard more. Especially the bolt action rifle, was that based on a Mauser? I really like the revolver as well, although I do find it odd that the cylinder swings out to the right instead of the left. But they're very good mods, and the weapons are amazing considering they're done in paint.

Jello said:

Another issue I believe, was that in zdoom reloadable weapons were very hard to make. Apparently Zen Dynamics was the first zdoom .wad where reloadable weapons really worked, and even so you can only use them in that .wad. From what I can see it requires a script to work, and unless that level is designed for it, they won't reload. I guess Edge is just far easier to make good weapons mods for.

That's what I hate about ZDoom. Yes, there are a few things that are easier to make in it with DECORATE like new enemies, but making new weapons are a real pain in the ass to make with DECORATE in my opinion. Like you mentioned, the reloading code in DECORATE is a real pain in the ass to make. I don't think it requires any scripts for the levels. It's all in the DECORATE lump.

Some weapons are alot harder to make with DECORATE than in DDF. For example, my molotov cocktails don't work the same way as they do in ICD-Lizard (that's probably due to my lack of knowledge in DECORATE). Proximity mines are harder to make in DECORATE than in DDF. Also, it's hard to make powerup items that have multiple effects and it's also really hard to make a quad-damage type item.

Oh yeah, I forgot about The Exterminator. The weapons do look better, but I didn't like it quite as much. I liked the vast array of bullet weapons in ICD-Lizard more. Especially the bolt action rifle, was that based on a Mauser? I really like the revolver as well, although I do find it odd that the cylinder swings out to the right instead of the left. But they're very good mods, and the weapons are amazing considering they're done in paint.

The reason why I don't like ICD-Lizard is the fact that all the weapons pretty much do the same things. There were way too many weapons that acted the same. In ICD-Lizard, I had 6 or 7 pistol-type weapons, 4 shotgun-type weapons, 6 SMG-type weapons, 4 Assault Rifle type weapons (this is the M4/M203, AK47, and similar weapons), 3 Rifle type weapons (this includes the two WW2 Era rifles), and 4 explosives weapons. I kinda lost count actually... In the Exterminator, I narrowed down the weapon slots and got rid of the useless, redundant crap and remade some of the old stuff and added in some brand new stuff. Oh, and this time, there are actually some projectile-based weapons like the Charge Cannon, the RPG-7, and I guess the Flamethrower counts as one too. It's finally good to actually have some weapons you can use to defeat the Icon of Sin on MAP30 without having to cheat. I'll be honest with you, it was practically impossible to beat MAP30 with any of the guns in ICD-Lizard unless I got really lucky and shot a grenade into the Icon's brain.

And yes, the bolt action rifle was based off of the Mauser rifle.

Jello said:

Well my favorites are Immoral Conduct: Special Edition for edge, Soldier Stockpile (formerly marines of uac) for edge, and Zen Dynamics for Zdoom, which also comes with an insanely hard set of levels. I don't have links for them right now, but they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Oh yes, the ICD Lizard Commando .wad is pretty funny too, if you like lots of ms paint weapons.

Zen Dynamics becomes easier once you realize you can't just run into a room guns blazing. That's how I died many times in the beginning. =)

The EDGE version of Don's Challenge 1 (with levels in it) was quite good actually, you could set traps with puddles of petrol near barrels and burn enemies to death when they came near, or improvise flamethrowers with an aerosol can!

Also the EDGE patch for Zombies doom (even though your character's hands are white) is fun. Until you meet the guys with rifles anyway, they can knock away 60-70% of your health from miles away!. The level in the city is cool when hundreds of zombies get released and you have a flamethrower, though!

Also Cory Whittle did a "Legacy" (well, dehacked) version of Immoral Conduct a long time ago, which had a decent sniper rifle (better than the Twilight Warrior one anyway). He also did some old dehacked monster and weapon alterations which can be found in the archives, those are cool

OMGWPNS was the best five hour job I ever spent on a Doom mod. It's pretty damn buggy with multiplayer and deaf monsters though.

So let me recap on all the WADS people have mentioned.

Immoral Conduct: Special Edition

Zen Dynamics

99weap

omgwpns

Don's Challenge 1 (with levels in it)

rf_auto

DOOMWBO

And I should get EDGE. Keep the suggestions coming.

kristus said:
DoomWBO is the only one I played and enjoyed. But I have no idea why there's two hand-guns in it.

The revolver is meant to be the officers pistol mentioned in the doom bible. Also, it was my shout out to half-lifes' Magnum.

it's was goint to be a secret weapon for this PC i've had in my head for the last 2 years, but meh.

Atmosphere demo has some painstakingly created doom guns rendered "to the side" like duke nukem.
add-ons only please.
edit: aside form the pokemon stuff, and i don't know why, i really like anything lizard commando does.

harbringer said:

I prefer 100gunsx myself, even though it's unfinished. Also, AEons of Death is fun as well.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend sticking with Immoral Conduct and avoiding touching the above two mods with a barge pole.

I personally enjoyed Don's Challenge the most. Normally, I don't enjoy EDGE weapon wads because the weapons don't seem to have as satisfying of a punch as those of Zdoom/Gzdoom. Corry really seemed to put a lot of effort into making "Don" seem like a real person with his curses and taunts. Blowing the heads off imps, then smoking a cigarette and drinking some cheap booze, and then finally playing Russian roullete was also pretty fun too in a creepy sort of way. :P

100gunsx seemed almost joke worthy to me. All of the weapons, and I mean every last one, was ripped from another wad, even if the wad was pretty bad to begin with (csDoom).

I really don't consider "Zen Dynamics" a weapons wad, since it had a plot and actual maps. I wouldn't mind seeing a version of the wad without the levels though. :)

I thought Zen Dynamics was more like a mini-TC. New levels, new graphics, new weapons, and new music. Seems to fit right into the TC category, except for the fact it doesn't replace all 32 levels.

anyone ever see the Doom 3 weapons replacements? Its a single resource wad that you can input in regular Doom 2 (by means of ZDoom), and the reload function still works without a map script. The weapons work pretty similar to the D3 versions AND it includes the D3 Flashlight!

Glassyman said:

Hey, the correct file is 99weap.zip (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12785); IMHO means "in my humble opinion" and it isn't a weapon wad!

No shit.

Anyways, I've seen the Edge version of the Doom 3 weapons mod called Doom 2.5 or something. It started off as a weapons mod and then it's being made into a full blown TC for EDGE. There's also that one Doom 3 mod for ZDoom. The the only thing I didn't like was how slow the rocket launcher shot. The chainsaw wasn't that great either.

I wasn't aware there was ever a good weapons replacement, that is, a good standalone one. But if I had to pick it would obviously be omgwpns, for at least being original and amusing for at least 5 minutes