Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chopkinsca

Start of a new map

Right now I call it 'Meh'. I haven't done much asides from one room, but it seems to be okay. Suprise suprise it's going to have a similar theme to sodding death and the temple area of phocas 2. Just posting this for a boost in motivation (which I have little of right now). This map won't use spectacular scripts and such as I did with zdoom. I want to go back to the more simple boom styled play again. Besides, I ran out of scripting ideas in phocas 2.
Screenshot

If anyone wants future screenshots, just tell me and I'll post them as I get areas done. Although, I hate the 'look at me, I made a small change, that deserves a screenshot to show everyone'.

It looks cool, although from a gameplay perspective there's not much that can be done .. it'd be a giant room full of monsters. Whatever, don't mind me, just keep working on it :P

Looks quite good, I especially like the asymmetric [at least, from this angle] pool of water. As for gameplay, depending on how the player enters it, it could make for quite an evil fight with an arch-vile. Or perhaps something that's hitscan.

In short: HAWT, post moar

Pretty slick, really. I don't know what to say as in terms of improving, because I suppose you can go a few ways with this. I keep thinking DM for some reason but thats just me. Keep going at it.

Looks nice and unique. I think the height scaling could be larger; the vine textured walls could be 128 units high, same with the brown walls under them. The tiny brick textures don't blend in as nicely as they could.

Another screenshot. To me it looks kind of bland, needs more colours. I'll work on the more colour aspect later. Although, the screenshot doesn't show the colour added by water. As with most screenshots, it looks better in game when you can move and get a feel for the space. Also you may notice how I like to torture myself with many overlapping sectors at odd angles.

Oh yeah, thanks for the comments. I hope this gets finished.

chopkinsca said:

Another screenshot. To me it looks kind of bland, needs more colours. I'll work on the more colour aspect later. Although, the screenshot doesn't show the colour added by water. As with most screenshots, it looks better in game when you can move and get a feel for the space. Also you may notice how I like to torture myself with many overlapping sectors at odd angles.

Oh yeah, thanks for the comments. I hope this gets finished.

It DOES look a little bland at the moment, but you do have a good start. Just add some color and maybe add some wall detail such as missing bricks, torches, or maybe even crevices.

Green vines look better imo, really nice shots those overlapping sectors look very cool.It looks an bit empty but I think when you start putting in decoration it starts to come alive.

Yeah, nice work with the overlapping sectors, really makes it feel more "natural." That's always the most painstaking part of level designing imo.

I know that I'll look like a fool for asking this, but why do some of you call soft brown grey? I'm not talking about chopkinsca, but I also heard that the D2 Hell Knight is grey.

BTW, these pics look great! I join the masses and claim for the green vines.

Another shot. Does the grating on the left side seem out of place? Something about it doesn't feel right but not sure if that's just me.

daimonreloaded said:

mmm... not very bad for how i could be seen...

What?

I uploaded two new shots to show a friend and thought I may as well post them here too. So here are two new screenshots with horrible contrast/brightness. edit: and horrid compression.
one
two

I need to start thinking of a name for this. Typical 'nature temple full of brown' is too long. Don't want to call it 'sodding death 2' either.

they are a bit dark and fuzzy, but the rooms still look great. as for a name for the level, how bout "Temple of the Reviled." I know it's kind of a meh title, but it's the first thing that popped in to my head. feel free to use it if you want.

Progress moved faster on this then I had expected it to. All that is left is music, and lower skill level monster placements. Soon I'll be needing beta testers.

And lastly a screenshot of the starting area. Where have we seen this before?
picture

Nice, Screen 2 looked vaguely Quake1-ish, monotonous colors look like they are from a midevil time, good color scheme but it could use different textures. First screen is awesome, good use of textures, no complaint there. Third screen, looks a little brown (heh). I also like your new HUD, bit big, but that may be due to low resolution (lemme guess, 800x600?)

EDIT: Whoops, didnt see chops post right before the last one. (the one with two links)

So for those:

Screen one, the ceiling texture doesnt seem to fit with the vines and the floor all too well, and the supports seem a tad thin for a building, but other than that it looks good.

Screen two, vines still dont sit right with me here, have you tried making a new vine texture but without the greent tile behind it? (I believe theres a vine texture that is just vines and no other texture behind it, so layer that over another texture and it should be good.

PS: oooOOOOoooo, what does THIS button do????

Steeveeo said:

I also like your new HUD, bit big, but that may be due to low resolution (lemme guess, 800x600?)

The hud is GZDoom's alternate hud.

Steeveeo said:

Screen two, vines still dont sit right with me here, have you tried making a new vine texture but without the greent tile behind it? (I believe theres a vine texture that is just vines and no other texture behind it, so layer that over another texture and it should be good.

PS: oooOOOOoooo, what does THIS button do????

But.. but.. I like gstvine2.

chopkinsca said:

The hud is GZDoom's alternate hud.

Not to mention that you don't need to have it that big...