Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Most disappointing Doom WAD or project ever?

Come on people, let's share some thoughts about what was the most disappointing/useless WAD or project you have ever seen. I'm not talking about intentionally bad levels or projects, such as jokewads, but projects that in one way or the other sounded good on paper, promised to "make us all their bitches" but they actually didn't accomplish anything , fell quite short of expectations, were plain useless or just never came to be.

I have my few takes, but let's see what the rest of you people think...

(Note: IWADS and WIP projects count too ;-)

Doom Rampage Edition without a doubt. This sounded very interesting but when the final release was an utter pile of shit it was all the more disappointing.

Most bad projects don't come without any promise of quality so there is hardly any disappointment involved.

Maes said:

IWADS? You see, I wasn't very pleased with the last two thirds of DOOM2.WAD. I was even disappointed when I saw Suburbs or Nirvana. Maybe id thought that fans will make their own levels anyway.

There have been so many of them, I'll just mention the most recent one, and that is Hellcore 2.

Maes said:

Doom2.wad and Plutonia.wad, then.

my first completed wad ;)

It was goin good until I went crazy with the secret doors that you were REQUIRED to find, the stupidly long hallways, and the looooonnngg walk.

(although some of the map aspects by themselves were pretty neat)

Belial said:

There have been so many of them, I'll just mention the most recent one, and that is Hellcore 2.

I liked Hellcore 2.0 probably for the same reasons you loathe it :)

I like the big open spaces and the exploring bit. It's definetly not something I would be in the mood for every time, but it was interesting to me atleast.

Usually I just ignore hype so I'm not disappointed even when something isn't all that great.

One of the things that disappointed me lately was mac53's "hi-res" and "truecolor" sprite project. (See the whole story here.
In particular, it proved to be not a hi-res mod at all, but a recoloring of all doom's sprites at standard resolution.

Yet, both him and some other people seem genuinely convinced that they are hi-res...too bad the screenshots that are supposed to "prove" it are taken in an OpenGL port, 'nuff said. It's not even a case of "lol I increased teh size then used a sharpen fitler IM SO KOOL!!!!!!!", as one dude in this forum points out.

I'll give that he's working on improving that by statically resizing the original sprites and applying a ton of filters on them, but OpenGL can do that just as good, and probably tenths of times better. What disappoints me most is the wasted time on an essentially useless project, even if it's not my time :-S

Hmm, none are really springing to mind, just reminded myself to be thankful that several projects are still being developed after so long. Props. :)

Most weapon and sprite replacements are major disappointments too: people just slap together a bunch of ripped weapons and enemies, and call it a "NEW and ENHANCED" collection of sights and sounds that will turn Doom into something it's not.

Most common problems are the lack of cohesion and random themes, utter lack of scale or proportions between monsters, the insistence with stuffing right-hand weapons (they just DON'T work with doom people ,get over it, and crosshairs don't count!), with the result that none of these replacements goes much beyond the "5-minute laugh" mark, unless they are forcibly shoved down one's throat in some WAD or DM mapset.

Oh and Hell Revealed 2: while in HR almost every map was like HR was "WTF? A TON OF F*CKING MONSTERS, DIE-KNOW-MIGHT!" HR2 was just too different and toned down already from the first maps, that I progressed maybe up to MAP04 or MAP05 then quit it and never resumed it.

Action Doom. The hype for it was unbelievable, but the end product turned out to be gimmicky and unfun.

Another disappointment was Daedalus. I liked it somewhat, but it just didn't live up to the hype. Once again, gameplay was the culprit.

Way too many to ever list. Hellcore 2, kdizd, Daedelus, Eternal Doom, just to name a few.

The Neo_Doom demo was cool, but when i got the actual thing it required a seperate zdoom version to work and i had to do some faffing about 'under the bonnet' to get it running. Still when i did it was awesome, even if most people complained about all the resources mashed together from different places at least the maps where fun, and thats what counts!

Deadalus would have been fun if it wasnt for the transport tunnels that you fly down, and which crash... OFTEN! They where completley unnessescary too, they didnt add anything, in fact they made it more annoying.

DSV 4 was way, wayyy too annoying too, though it did look beautiful, after the fifth "locked in a tiny room with chaingunners" trap, and the thing where you have to press some computer screens in the right way to stop a door closing when you try to exit a room made me give up on it (i thought HAVING to find secrets to pass a level was frowned upon, but it seems if the level is also good-looking it is somehow excusable and called 'innovative and challenging')

Also all of those 'innovative and challenging' Zdoom wads from 2001-2003 or so, which where fairly normal maps with needless intrusive scripting and 3 revenants suddenly attacking you whenever you pick up a fucking clip or potion. It was like Doom 3 before there was Doom 3, though at least you could see your attackers.

Daedalus was a mixed bag. I liked the WAD in general but it was suffering from several serious design flaws.

There were too many places where it was nearly impossible to figure out what to do and the worst thing was the badly planned monster respawning. One tiny error that forces you to backtrack and there's more opposition to kill - of course without providing the additionally needed health and ammo in sufficient quantities.

Fortunately the scripts were released later so I could 'fix' some of these for myself but I feel sorry for everyone who has to play the original.

But I still wouldn't consider it among the 'most disappointing' WADs ever? It sure didn't live up to the expectations but calling it bad is quite an exaggeration.

Same for Hellcore 2. It had its share of major problems in the gameplay department but again with a little work invested the thing was salvageable.

Eternity TC. Everytime I look at the maps left over from it, I die a little bit inside :P

Hobbs said:

Way too many to ever list. Hellcore 2, kdizd, Daedelus, Eternal Doom, just to name a few.

Are you actualy aware that KDIZD wasn't even released yet? And about Eternal DOOM I'm sure that you were not even born in the time it was released.

I have to agree with Daedalus though, the quality of the new textures can't compare with previews TNT's works. The gameplay wasn't fun, and the new monster was a bad joke.

Edit: I better read the ad. next time :-P

Oh No the Community is Falling 3.

WHERE WERE YOU KAISER!? WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU!? I FUCKING TRUSTED YOU MAN!
You should have just put the .454 Raging Bull revolver against the side of my head and pulled the trigger dude.

Quasar said:

Eternity TC. Everytime I look at the maps left over from it, I die a little bit inside :P

THANKS! :(

Anyway, Daedalus was definitely not a disappointment, cause it was exactly as I had expected it to be coming from TNT and being a sequel to Icarus. I didn't like it.

Foreverhood was a disappointment, I had high hopes for it. But so far, Skadoomer is yet to deliver a solid gaming experience with his fantastic dream world.

Phobia was a disappointment, cause I didn't make a lot of really cool ideas due to me being lazy and hating the Doom engine..

Craigs said:

Oh No the Community is Falling 3.

WHERE WERE YOU KAISER!? WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU!? I FUCKING TRUSTED YOU MAN!
You should have just put the .454 Raging Bull revolver against the side of my head and pulled the trigger dude.

wtf? o_O

Maes said:

One of the things that disappointed me lately was mac53's "hi-res" and "truecolor" sprite project. (See the whole story here.
In particular, it proved to be not a hi-res mod at all, but a recoloring of all doom's sprites at standard resolution.

I went to check out the shots for it, but apparently I am ip banned at the DWS forums :p.

Hellcore 2.0 was pretty disappointing, but I can appreciate the amount of work that was obviously put into it, even though my actual time spent playing it consisted entirely of "WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO BE GOING "

LordK said:

Action Doom. The hype for it was unbelievable, but the end product turned out to be gimmicky and unfun.

We are totally NOT BEST FRIENDS FOREVER >:(

Scythe 2 - because of 3 maps being absent ;)

To be serious, I was very disappointed of every TNT project after Evilution, because I hoped they would be better, but they are even less playable.

Doom II, probably.

I wasn't terribly impressed by most of Final Doom, either. Scythe 2 I found disappointing; I always liked the original better. And I'll probably catch some flames for this, but Action Doom did absolutely nothing for me.

RoneKyakone said:

And I'll probably catch some flames for this, but Action Doom did absolutely nothing for me.

You are not alone with that.

In fact, Action Doom didn't even cause a reaction for me. I just never got into it but I also never had ans negative feelings toward it. It was just something I didn't care about at all.

Maes said:

Oh and Hell Revealed 2: while in HR almost every map was like HR was "WTF? A TON OF F*CKING MONSTERS, DIE-KNOW-MIGHT!" HR2 was just too different and toned down already from the first maps, that I progressed maybe up to MAP04 or MAP05 then quit it and never resumed it.

That's a shame, HR2 starts to get good in MAP06.