Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joe Capricorn

Doomworld Pop ups...

They happen every time I click on a new page.

It's at every page, the front page, the archives, the forum. Anywhere on Doomworld, once I click such as anywhere, on a link, or even to close the window, I get a pop up.

I have pop ups disabled on Mozilla, and yet somehow these things get by it. It's really really antagonizing, but where else can I find the Newstuff and all sorts of cool Doom related news?

I haven't had problems with popups and such until recently. Yeah, I'm using Firefox too, but I haven't heard about this "noscript". I'm guessing it's a plugin? I'll look into it.

Also, while we're on the subject, why is it that everytime a page loads on Doomworld, be it the main site or the forums, it skips to the bottom of the page? This is really annoying and it only surfaced recently. Does it have something to do with the flash banner ads at the bottom of the page? Something new that ad makers are doing to piss people off?

Jesus thats a lot of extensions just to do one thing. I use w3m for pretty much everything. I can look at anything from DWF to Last Measure and have a safe browsing experience.

Hobbs said:

Jesus thats a lot of extensions just to do one thing. I use w3m for pretty much everything. I can look at anything from DWF to Last Measure and have a safe browsing experience.

have fun in "web 2.0" with that browser mmkay

Hobbs said:

But can you play Punch The Monkey(TM)?

You know, I don't use any of these programs you guys are talking about. My computer was setup to be secure right out of the box.

caco_killer said:

You know, I don't use any of these programs you guys are talking about. My computer was setup to be secure right out of the box.

Hobbs said:

They dont all do the same thing! And plus, I have twice or even three times that on my browser at home!

NoScript is for blocking any Javascript on every page by default (which includes popup scripts), just tell it which websites you trust and it will allow the scripts to run. This is excelent for an extensive web surfer (for whatever reason you need it)

AdBlock removes ads from known advertisement servers (such as doubleclick) AND removes the blank space left over from the removal.

Fasterfox increases internet speed by at least 2 fold. In fact, I have gotten 3 times faster in a recent timed test I did; I loaded up a webpage with 10 megabytes of images and data and timed it to see which was faster, FF FTW!

IEView...didnt I already explain this?

@CSG: Wtf??

leileilol said:

ah I see

@CSG: How the hell does it matter how long Ive been here if I dont know that?! I dont own a MAC!

Also, I have looked high and low for answers to some of my questions here on DW but never once did I come across that thing. So THATS why I said 'wtf' instead of 'lol'

Meh, I just press STOP right as soon as the page loads to avoid the pop-ups. I'm successful about 80 percent of the time.

caco_killer said:

Oh, I know what the Sad Mac icon means (we used to use Macs instead of PCs), I just don't know that means in relation to my computer.

it means you're lying.

No computer is "secure" out of the box. If you think that then I've a bridge to sell you.

Right. My laptop must not be secure because I use the security suite (Nortons. Ya, I know it's a resource whore but I'm not paying for something I already have) it came with that was pre-installed.

</sarcasm>

lol, norton, so many times it has failed me, and THATS why I got FF with all those extensions PLUS AdAware, SpyBot, and ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall. Sure its a pain to get thru all that just to get a game going, but its worth it because of the security (no viruses in about 6 weeks so far, the last one was because of my own stupidity)