Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krivanka

Can't open in doors with boom, but...

I can open them with zDoom or vanilla doom. I can use switches in prboom and glboom, but i can't use doors in prboom or glboom, only in zdoom or vanilla. Why might this be?

After posting the name of the map tell us which version of PRboom you are using. Have you tried to set any -complevels ?

The problem is invalid (missing) tags. You could use WadAuthor to detect this problem ("Check Map").

These doors will actually work in prboom-plus using the "compatibility with common mapping errors" option "linedefs w/o tags apply locally", but of course it would be better to correct the errors.

You need to make them local doors instead of remote doors (or if you want to have the remote doors, you need to give them a tag that matches the linedef that you want to use to open them).

I don't understand your comment about them working in vanilla Doom. In vanilla such a tag error causes the action to be applied to all sectors with tag 0, generally shattering the map. Prboom(-plus) will replicate this behaviour with any of the vanilla compatibility modes, or with the appropriate compatibility option chosen.

I dunno if it was vanilla doom or not, but it works using the doom when i press the test map button in doom builder. and it works again in zdoom.

When I open it with vanilla doom, youre right, it didn't open. It gave me an error P_spawnmapthing: unknown type 32000 at 1583 -2118.

I guess I don't understand why it works with zdoom, opens in prboom and glboom but the doors wont open, and vanilla doom won't open it at all.

The reason for the crash/program exit in vanilla is that you have left the Doombuilder camera object in the map. You need to remove it.

The reason it worked from within Doombuilder, I presume, is that you have Zdoom as the default exe to be used from within Doombuilder.

The reason for the doors not opening is, as explained in my previous post, a map error, viz. invalid tags. The linedef type you have used requires a tag. The only reason it works in Zdoom is that it assumes that in the case of a remote action linedef with no tag, it was intended to apply to the adjacent sector.

Grazza said:

The reason for the crash/program exit in vanilla is that you have left the Doombuilder camera object in the map. You need to remove it.

The reason it worked from within Doombuilder, I presume, is that you have Zdoom as the default exe to be used from within Doombuilder.

The reason for the doors not opening is, as explained in my previous post, a map error, viz. invalid tags. The linedef type you have used requires a tag. The only reason it works in Zdoom is that it assumes that in the case of a remote asction linedef with no tag, it was intended to apply to the adjacent sector.

so every linedefinition of every door gets its own tag? or is it, every different line def gets its own tag? or can i assign lets say, tag3 to all the doors with oh i dont know, SR Wait open close (fast)

No, you have used the wrong type of linedef. You used one that is designed to open doors that are some distance away, and requires a tag to do so (as the program can have no way of knowing which door you intend it to open in that case).

You can replace it with a linedef type that is designed to act locally, and requires no tag (Type 1 instead of Type 63 in most cases, but look in your editor to find the equivalent type of local door {needing no tag} for each time you have used a remote door type).

oh! I see what i did wrong (finally) I'm using line defintions that go along with SWITCHES. I was thinking the door acted as a switch, and opened. And the fact that it was working in zDoom was just confusing me moreso.

*thanks grazza for being an asset to the community*

Yeah, in ZDoom, if you put a linedef special that is activated in the same manner as SR/S1 it will automatically "tag" to the sector on the opposite side of the linedef, so you can actually use SR on Doors and expect them to work without assigning a tag. In vanilla Doom as already mentioned, activating a switch-based linedef special with no tag (aka tag 0) will open all sectors with tag 0, which in most cases is nearly every map in the wad.