Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kristus

Yesterday: "The Wii is excrement!" Today: "The Wii is quite nice!"

How do you manage to get that old, and yet still have a 15-year old mentality? Some of these programmers need to step the fuck outside for some actual social interaction once in awhile.

udderdude said:

How do you manage to get that old, and yet still have a 15-year old mentality? Some of these programmers need to step the fuck outside for some actual social interaction once in awhile.

I personally think the whole video game industry is pretty immature. They don't act professional at all.

What is it? 45 years since the 1st computer game? There should be a lot more mature guys in the industry by now.

Too bad you guys feel that way. He obviously said what he did in order to counter the landslide of gibbering fanboyism (and subsequently got chewed out by his higher-ups, but whatever). I have to agree with the spirit of what he said and, barring a more intelligent forum, would have said the same thing.

It's too bad that we hear things like "It's not about graphics" when that's really not the only problem. At first glance, the Wii may seem revolutionary, but now I feel that it's doing nothing but taking another whack at some old failed concepts. Nintendo pretty much put themselves back into the 16-bit era-- and while some people out there would like to relive those days forever, the rest of us prefer to move on. When the hype dies down, I feel this will become apparent.

Pretty dumb move on Hecker's part. His choice of words show that he's pretty oblivious to what other positive aspects the system has to offer. The one thing I can agree with him is that the system's processing power is comparable to two gamecubes stuck together, which is true in a sense as it deffinetly isnt as powerful as 360 and PS3.

However, that's not exactly what nintendo was aiming for. Controller interface and attempt to make FUN games is what the Wii is trying to accomplish. Not everyone might like it, but then too bad. Get a different system for this generation if that's the case.

I played the Wii, it is a really fun interface, PS3 revolution? I think not. Played the POS3 for about 10 minutes, it was fucking laggy! It's own processor couldn't even handle the games designed for it, ya nothx.

The graphics do suck, but it makes up for it I think.

fodders said:

What is it? 45 years since the 1st computer game? There should be a lot more mature guys in the industry by now.

lol not quite that long

Steeveeo said:

lol not quite that long

The earliest known computer game is Spacewar!, developed in 1961 by a group of MIT students. So it's actually 46 years :).

Videogaming itself dates back as far as the 1950's if I remember my history correctly. The first game being "Tennis for 2", shown at a military operated technology show as a way to interest the public. This is all paraphrased from memory and facts I've picked up over the years, natch.

Bucket said:

Too bad you guys feel that way. He obviously said what he did in order to counter the landslide of gibbering fanboyism (and subsequently got chewed out by his higher-ups, but whatever). I have to agree with the spirit of what he said and, barring a more intelligent forum, would have said the same thing.

It's too bad that we hear things like "It's not about graphics" when that's really not the only problem. At first glance, the Wii may seem revolutionary, but now I feel that it's doing nothing but taking another whack at some old failed concepts. Nintendo pretty much put themselves back into the 16-bit era-- and while some people out there would like to relive those days forever, the rest of us prefer to move on. When the hype dies down, I feel this will become apparent.

While the WII have had a lot of positive press lately (which I can relate to cause I find it very fun to play it) it of course would have been due for some honest criticism, but you talk about gibbering fanboyism. What is then not Hecker's ranting?

Yeah the Wii isn't up to the specs of the PS3 and the 360. Personally, I don't care. Consoles never outdo PCs when it comes to processing power anyway. And People still play with their PS2. What does that tell you? It isn't about graphics or processing power. I've not played the 360 or the PS3, but what are they other than newer versions? Atleast the Wii got something new to offer. (Not to mention that I got Guitar Hero 1 and 2 on the PS2)

For anyone not paying attention:

Brandon C said:

You forgot the context. I think it really helps.

It was from a panel called "BURNING MAD".

It was supposed to be for rants and shit like that.

But go ahead and take it way too seriously. We all know how much you die inside when someone insults the Wii.

Darkfyre said:

PS3 revolution? I think not. Played the POS3 for about 10 minutes, it was fucking laggy! It's own processor couldn't even handle the games designed for it, ya nothx.

Nope. It's the games that weren't designed for the processor.

kristus said:

While the WII have had a lot of positive press lately (which I can relate to cause I find it very fun to play it) it of course would have been due for some honest criticism, but you talk about gibbering fanboyism. What is then not Hecker's ranting?

Exactly what I said. It's nothing new to say "X sucks" baselessly in response to people who say "X rules" without considering why.

Yeah the Wii isn't up to the specs of the PS3 and the 360. Personally, I don't care. Consoles never outdo PCs when it comes to processing power anyway. And People still play with their PS2. What does that tell you? It isn't about graphics or processing power. I've not played the 360 or the PS3, but what are they other than newer versions? Atleast the Wii got something new to offer. (Not to mention that I got Guitar Hero 1 and 2 on the PS2)

That was my point. Processing power isn't the only problem. You need developers willing to back the technology. (Nintendo always will, of course, but who else?) The Wii is not forcing people to innovate. It is, rather, forcing them to revisit old concepts that only worked because the technology matched. And even back then, the idea was somewhat limiting. Modern games will feel awkward with a waving-hand-motion control scheme. Games designed specifically for it will be shallow. Backing by a major console manufacturer won't change this. In about a year's time, gamers will be abandoning their Wiimotes for the classic controller-- and then what will the Wii be?

Bucket said:

In about a year's time, gamers will be abandoning their Wiimotes for the classic controller-- and then what will the Wii be?

The same way gamers abandoned the analog stick for the D-pad?

There's actually a good chance that Nintendo will release a clip for the classic controller that allows the wiimote to attach to it. A "best of both worlds" approach, if you will. I don't see how you can argue that the wiimote will allow for "shallow" games only. That's like saying the analog stick is worthless because it's nothing more than a miniature joystick. There are a lot of growing pains, but Nintendo is taking strides to help third parties adapt to their new control scheme, as they should.

The only thing that could possibly cause Wii games to be short, shallow, and simple is developer apathy/laziness. The technology is not a factor. Nothing about the 729MHz processor or the DVD9 media limits the size or gameplay potential in any significant way.

One only needs to look at Twilight Princess to see that the system is indeed capable of 70-hour adventures with deep characters and epic stories.

Coopersville said:

Nope. It's the games that weren't designed for the processor.

Oh well, doesn't change the fact that it's laggy :p