Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnny

Memorable Videogame Myths

This should be a fun thread.

Below are infamous videogame myths that immediately come to mind. The first three are old ones - and legendary ones at that. The last game is a bit more contemporary and stands as an example of how quickly videogame myths get busted nowadays.

mod: removing copy and paste, just click the damn article link

Have any of your own? Let's see some replies(in great detail)!

stolen from http://pspupdates.qj.net/Memorable-Videogame-myths-from-reviving-Aeris-to-saving-Wander/pg/49/aid/85804

Not really a myth, but a video game question that has been I have thought about for years.

It is in Mechwarrior 2, the first Wolf mission. For anyone who hasn't played the Mechwarrior series, there is a set of objectives given for each mission. Primary objectives must be completed to pass the mission, secondary objectives give bonus points for completion, and tertiary objectives also give obnus points (IIRC a smaller amount). Anyway, the first Wolf mission has these objectives (you are mopping up after an aerospace fighter strike that had to be aborted due to a storm):

Primary - Destroy the Chemical plant
Primary - Inspect the destroyed Firebase
Secondary - Destroy all enemy mechs
Tertiary - Destroy any targets of opportunity

Many of the missions have the tertiary objective of Destroying any Targets of Opportunity, which is just destroying any enemy held structures or vehicles (often enemy Dropships) on the map (that are often off the primary route of the mission). In the first Wolf mission I have never found any other targets. Is it an uncompleteable objective?

The most classic gaming myth in my mind is probably Polybius. It'd pretty cool to see somebody take on the myth and make a real game from it.

It's been discovered recently that you can catch Mew without cheats.

Incidentally, another forum I visit delved into the mystery of Super Mario Bros.'s Minus World. Also contains a link to video of the Famicom Disk System's version of Minus World, which happens to be much cooler.

When I was 8 years old I met a ghost monster for the first time in my life in map 27. I didn't know yet that it is a bug so I started to think: Who is it? How did I find it? How can I kill it? I found an answer some years ago visiting the wiki.

How about the sasquatch in GTA San Andreas?

EDIT: And the Forbiddon Box in Shining Force for Genesis, and Cutman in Mega Man 8. I remember everyone tried to do insane things to try and get Cutman to appear. Capcom eventully added him in the Saturn version of MM8.

ah yes, Ocarina of Time had quite a few myths that I partially enjoyed tryin to find!

First there was the glitch that lets you play an item (bombchus are the most funny)

You had to go to a place with a high enough drop (like the platform to get into Lake Hylia, or the gate to Zelda's Castle. You had to take out a bottle filled with bugs, open the bottle, then recapture a bug out of it. Then jump off and press the button to activate the item in mid air. Immediatly pull out your Ocarina before you hit the ground. You should be playing that item.

That myth was proven actually (by me) so its more of a glitch than anything.

Then there was the way to cause so many glitches by losing the master sword as adult Link. You just lose your sword and do the above trick to play a song to warp away. Then I heard that if you dont re-equip a sword, you could use any item while riding Epona, including the Hookshot, which in turn opened up more glitches, like you could hookshot off Epona and start flying away.

Ah yes, the final myth I remember was the Great Fairy Sword (like the one from Soul Caliber 2) by having the gravekeeper dig everywhere on the paths and eventually youd get the Sword. Never found it, but at least I found that last heartpiece I was missing!

Dr. Zin said:

Many of the missions have the tertiary objective of Destroying any Targets of Opportunity, which is just destroying any enemy held structures or vehicles (often enemy Dropships) on the map (that are often off the primary route of the mission). In the first Wolf mission I have never found any other targets. Is it an uncompleteable objective?

Oh, wow, does that bring back memories. It's been a long time, but I do recall never being able to complete that objective. It might be that they originally had some building or something that was later removed and they forgot about the objective. I don't know.

Steeveeo said:

Ah yes, the final myth I remember was the Great Fairy Sword (like the one from Soul Caliber 2) by having the gravekeeper dig everywhere on the paths and eventually youd get the Sword. Never found it, but at least I found that last heartpiece I was missing!

I'm told the Great Fairy Sword is only in Majora's Mask.

I used to no clip through all my games such as Doom and Jedi Knight trying to find hidden places and stuff. I remember someone telling me that in level 6 of Jedi Knight (the Imperial Palace entrance level) you could find Chewbacca. Being in elementary school, all these things made sense because I wasn't at the point yet where I realized someone actually made the levels and probably wouldnt throw in half the stuff I was hoping to find.

Dont forget about the infamous cart-ride trick! (N64)

I remember doing this a looong time ago when I first heard about it. What you do is press down the right and slowly lift up the left of the cartridge and the game you are currently playing will start acting really weird (static, invisible noclip actors, etc).

In OOT you could walk thru anything using this (as long as you did it within about 5 seconds otherwise youd freeze the game)

Snarboo said:

The most classic gaming myth in my mind is probably Polybius. It'd pretty cool to see somebody take on the myth and make a real game from it.

oh christ, polybius! i remember hearing stories from my dad about this. memories, memories

The cowlevel in diablo is the one that comes to mind. I like how blizzard embraced that myth by actually putting a cowlevel in diablo 2.

The Luigi in Super Mario 64 myth stands out like a sore thumb for me.

Dr. Zin said:

It is in Mechwarrior 2, the first Wolf mission. For anyone who hasn't played the Mechwarrior series, there is a set of objectives given for each mission.
In the first Wolf mission I have never found any other targets. Is it an uncompleteable objective?

Mechwarrior 2 was buggy as hell. Whenever I unlocked the secret mechs, the music stopped on the Spider mech, the game crashed when directly accessing the Elemental, and crashed no matter how I tried to access the Battlemaster. Also, on so many occasions, I managed to glitch the system into allowing me impossible amounts of stats for the mechs. Basically some bug gave me whatever I wanted without any worry of total mass. I could rig the Firemoth with the fastest engine allowed and all the autocannons and 20-missile launchers I wanted. But unless I used the no-heat-sink cheat, the mech exploded as soon as the level loaded. Still, it was fun clipping past the game's limits in a 400 mph Firemoth.

Some lesser myths from FFVII (Aeris' resurrection being probably the biggest myth in fairly recent gaming history) was that you could revive Rufus, gain control of Sephiroth, get a chocobo beyond the gold one, get Sephiroth's Supernova summon as a materia, and other standard ones (hidden weapons, hidden monsters, hidden limits, hidden characters, something stronger than Emerald or Ruby Weapon, etc.), and some truly ridiculous ones (fight the Knights of the Round, a separate outer space world map). Personally, I've always wondered if Rufus turned up alive in Advent Children because of the aforementioned rumor.

There was a rumor that in vice city if you could shoot this shark that randomly swam around that islands you could swim.

also, apparently it was possible to get to the second island early in the game with out cheating by crashing a bike into the barriers and being thrown over it. I've tested this and have never been able to pull it off.

During the Supaplex playing days I've been hearing lots of rumours about the existence of Supaplex II and Supaplex III, having twice as many levels etc. etc. At least, there is Igor, but you have to pay for it to get it.

Even Doom might have had a myth, called Doom 3, but it's no more :)
What about Duke Nukem Forever, is that a myth? Maybe it's gonna be a big fat humongous myth, due to its name...

For those of you who play Japanese RPGs, one of the more infamous myths is that you can kill Balio and Sunder the first time you encounter them in Breath of Fire 3. As people have proven, they have an infinite amount of HP and cannot die.

Anders said:

The cowlevel in diablo is the one that comes to mind. I like how blizzard embraced that myth by actually putting a cowlevel in diablo 2.

In Diablo 2, there was supposedly a monster called Reziarfg. It turns out that it was a joke, but that didn't stop people from spreading all sorts of wild rumors about how to find it.

-In GTA 3, if you kill a big number of people with the baseball bat you can unlock another city

-In GTA 3, if you fly around the back of the dam you can get to "Carson City", atcually theres just a little backalley map round there that was used in the intro

-You can time-travel in Vice City if you find a silver deluxo driving around

-In the original GTA, if you find somebody standing still and go up to him he'll tell you to follow him, and take you to a strip club

-All the other GTA-related bullshit, those games really do attract barely-literate scum who make you wonder just how thier thoght patterns work

-Duke Nukem 3D has a "children's mode/version" with no strippers. Whenever people at school said they had it it was immediatley "The children's version or the real one?"

Doesn't anyone remember the rumor of Doom having a cheat code that turns all monsters into naked women?

Ichor said:

In Diablo 2, there was supposedly a monster called Reziarfg. It turns out that it was a joke, but that didn't stop people from spreading all sorts of wild rumors about how to find it.

Has this been proven? I mean it's confirmed that no graphics are in the game's data files? Could be a world event that happens only once a year or something...

There isn't any Reziarfg monster or graphics in any of the data files. Besides, the name backwards is gfraizer, or Geoff Fraizer, who is the Blizzard site manager. He probably added that as some kind of a joke, but I guess it worked a little too well, because even today there seem to be people that believe it exists somewhere. When the 1.11 patch was released last year, the patch data files were closely examined to, among other things, see if Reziarfg was added as a super secret or world event or whatever. It was not.

They came out with some pretty decent nudie patches for her too (lara croft)

The only thing i remember off-hand that really has'nt been mentioned yet would be another sasquatch/grizzly type creature that you could actualy catch a glimpse of on one of the tracks (the summit) of need for speed III hot pursuit, but others started claiming that he was viewable else where such as standing out in the middle of the road where you could hit him and on another track on top of a donut shop and various other places that were never confirmed.