Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Wobbo

Ive got some issues with edge...

it wont run under windows NT because it tries to use directInput and it KNOWS DIRECTX DOESNT WORK IN WINNT40!!!

i tried nojoy but to no avail... HELP

try this: GET A BETTER OS! like winxp or 98, nt sux. or get Windows CE.ME.NT., its as good a stone block underwater! :P

I think you should change your operating system(windows 98 se for example).
Your computer needs NT like a fish needs a bicycle.

What do you mean EDGE is too slow? It runs just fine on my computer. If you tried the castle demo then I can understand: That is REAL slow(because of the dynamic lighting and so on)! All the other wads I've tried run fine.
Try dropping the resolution a little.

Edge is slow on my computer too, plus it bugs with special effects (like all opengl ports), and some maps made for regular doom don't work, even map16 of Plutonia didn't work.

zro: GET A NEW COMPUTER.
Anyway, EDGE (any version) runs fine on my computer. The framerates take a hit with dynamic lighting turned on, but it's not all that noticeable. On the subject of other OpenGL ports, GLLegacy also runs good, even with DL and coronas turned on. What a lucky boy I am:)

Edge and Legacy both run slow when faced with hordes of monsters. eg plutonia level 32, hell revealed maps etc.
I find whenever theres plenty of fighting action goin on SLOWDOWN.
Turn off all lighting, effects etc but it's still there.
Vanilla doom runs these maps fine without any slowdown.
Until these ports can run at a decent speed with plenty of fighting going on I won't use em.
Qdoom is ridiculously slow no matter what settings you use. Very impressive but not playable.
These ports should seriously look into optimising their code a LOT better.
Zdoom handles hordes of monsters with ease just like vanilla doom.
It AIN'T my comp.
1ghz athlon 512 mb ram gforce 2 mx.

zro: GET A NEW COMPUTER.

My computer was bought about 4 months ago!
It's Celeron 900MHz with TNT2 video card.

I just found the easy editability of DDF's & RTS, so my respect for EDGE has gone up a few points.

Xian: Of course it won't work under NT. Nothing works under NT. Not even NT itself. Pfeh.

Footman: Windows CE is hardly more functional than NT.

Doomaholic87: Your box is too damn slow. When it gets faster, you might not be a complete idiot.

Lobo: He's probably playing in software mode. He IS an idiot, after all.

Bongo: You, sir, are a dolt. It IS your computer; most Geforce 2 MXes are hardly faster than a TNT2 - in fact, most are NOT as fast as a TNT2 Ultra. 1Ghz Athlon with 512MB of what, SDRAM? Pfah. It's probably some crappy Gateway or Compaq system, isn't it? Delete the spyware off your craputer and maybe it'll run a little better.

Zro: You've got a Celeron!? And you expect ANYTHING to run right? People always whine "Well Kat some people don't have money like you do." Shut up. Even if I was hungry and destitute, I wouldn't take a Celeron unless you gave it to me. And even then, I'd sell it to a pawn shop. Celerons are utter shit. And while your TNT2 is a nice card, to be brutally honest, it's old. With some superior tweaking, overclocking, and streamlining, your system could probably run everything fairly well. But it takes extreme skill to make a Celeron match an Athlon of half the clock speed.

There. I was worried I'd lost my flamer reflex. I'm a little rusty, but then, there's nothing here that irks me enough to really get me going. ^_^.

I wouldn't take a Celeron unless you gave it to me.

which is the only reason why i have a celeron right now

Zro: You've got a Celeron!? And you expect ANYTHING to run right? People always whine "Well Kat some people don't have money like you do." Shut up. Even if I was hungry and destitute, I wouldn't take a Celeron unless you gave it to me. And even then, I'd sell it to a pawn shop. Celerons are utter shit. And while your TNT2 is a nice card, to be brutally honest, it's old. With some superior tweaking, overclocking, and streamlining, your system could probably run everything fairly well. But it takes extreme skill to make a Celeron match an Athlon of half the clock speed.

And thats not the whole story, the poor excuse for an operating system is winME. Well at least it has a DVD player, and doom (ports) run fine with it.

Hmmm, most ports run fine for me on my pII 350mhz with a GeForce 2 MX. Although EDGE slows down with dynamic lighting. The fastest port by far would have to be ZDoom. That handles hordes of monsters just as well (or maybe better) than vanilla doom(2).exe.

Oh, and zro: WinME works fine for me (better than Win98 first edition ever did). I must be lucky or something... :P

The fastest port by far would have to be ZDoom. That handles hordes of monsters just as well (or maybe better) than vanilla doom(2).exe.

No, the fastest is Boom. Nuts.wad was a good tester. ZDoom totally choked on the ~10000 monsters thrown in that level, but Boom was still reasonably playable.