Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JimmyB

Mod for doom2

Hi, about a week ago i was playing on a co-op game on doom2 (through usual zdaemon launcher) anyway, when i started it up, the doom2 maps were the same old, nothing changed BUT:

1. the enemies looked like the ones off doom3 (not the actual enemies, but a kinda cartoony version of them)

2. the sounds were different, the weapons sounded like doom3 weapons

3. the weapons looked vaguely like the ones off doom3 eg same shotgun model, only pixellated and instead of chaingun, a machinegun.

Now... I hope i posted this in the right place, but: 1. has anyone else tried out this mod? and 2. (if it is legal), where could i possibly download this WAD from, if not PWAD.

P.S. sorry if this doesn't make much sense, i would have added a screenshot

It's a mediocre adaption of DOOM 2.5 (an Edge mod) to Zdoom. All the good parts about it were lost in the convertion, turning it into a semi joke mod.

ahh thanks, but now it comes up with: bad sample type, sample vipain number 28, anyone pleeeeease help!!!

Hi, just downloaded doom 2.5 mod, custom wad file, but when i try starting it it says "bad sample type, sample vipain (number 28)": i do not know what to do about this grr!!!

plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz someone help i am ranting and raving!

Please stop crossposting about some mod nobody cares. It probably is only compatible with some source ports and not others, plus AFAIK it's nothing worth to obsess about. What source port are you using anyway?

Damn, your post is very annoying. Letting us know how excited you are will not help you much, unless you do it in a good way, which of course this wasn't the case.

First, I'm not sure if DOOM 2.5 is still available, the "oficial site" is http://www.doom25.cjb.net/ but last time I checked some virus warning was displayed, so go under your own risk. I "made" the monsters sprites, so eventualy I got a copy of the wads that are supposed to be there, plus some monster sprites that were never added, but believe me I have a real mess with all the resources. I feel sorry for this mod, it really has potential, but I kinda lost my interest when being able to play DOOM 3, that and I got out of ideas for the remaining monsters, and the biggest task the mod requires is level design, for which I'm particulary lazy. The other members are kinda in the same position.
I'll see if I can orginize a bit the stuff and upload the files again.

To play the mod you require the latest version of Edge, the instalation and running is as simple as any vanilla DOOM wad, so I suppose you're missing a step.

In case you feel lucky you could try contacting the mapper of the team at dean.longmore at gmail dot com. He was working in the already designed maps, improvng stuff trying to get closer to DOOM 3, which I kinda find pointless or counter productive, as probably the best thing about the mod was that it's positioned in the middle between classic DOOM 2 and DOOM 3, but I admire his work.

Maes said:

Please stop crossposting about some mod nobody cares. It probably is only compatible with some source ports and not others

You're making it seem like there's something wrong with that.

My mistake, I thought this was a crosspost and that was the only thing I was "complaining" about. Sorry.

It was a crosspost, but I merged the threads, and moved the resulting thread to the most appropriate forum.

But I really don't see how the quoted postion of the second sentence of Maes's original post was implying anything was bad. It was just supplying a suggestion of what the problem might have been; i.e. that he should check any documentation and make sure he was using an exe that complied with the requirements for the wad.

Ok first of all i apologise for any inconvenient posting, anyway; i have no idea how to find out my source port, all 3 doom games were installed off doom collectors edition: does anyone know where to download edge easily?

The fact that you used the collector's edition, means at most you have vanilla doom .exes and Doom95, both quite unsuitable for using 99% of what was produced after Boom came out ("Doom the way it was meant to be", remember?)

Since you mentioned ZDaemon, I could be wrong but I think that this one is based on a slightly modified ZDoom, but not on the latest version. Check the documentation of the mod itself, to see if it requires anything special. And google for Edge :-)

ok... i got the mod, but when i attempt to launch doom2 with the mod (from the doom launcher) it comes up with bad sample type sample vipain number 28 I think it is a sound error but not sure for certain also my computer doesnt like edge, it wont run it

Yes yes zdaemon worked well with the mod, but i i try to play single player with my doom collector edition wads it comes up with the error already mentioned

What do you mean with "doom launcher" anyway? ZDL + a source port? ZDLauncher + a source port?

Please tell me you're not trying to launch an EDGE or ZDoom mod with "Doom for Windows 95"'s launcher....pretty please...

ok... when i installed the doom series from the doom collector's edition, when i launch any of the games it comes up with the doom 95 launcher to start a single player game... yes lol i did try to do that: slap me in the head for stupidity

Do you know what a source port is? Do you know that Edge is a source port? Do you know that Edge, and only Edge, can run the mod?

JimmyB said:

slap me in the head for stupidity

I would if I could.

Do not use Doom 95, thank you. It may have come with your Doom collector's CD but it's little more than ID's excuse for making Doom "playable" on anything but DOS (else they couldn't really be still selling Doom).

For serious "work", use any other source port. They are just better, and they work. Regard the Doom Collector Edition as a means to legally own the IWADs and nothing more. Just...ignore that it came with Doom 95, forget that bit, it doesn't exist :-p

OK i understand, but which port should i use and where could i find it? zdoom? edge? which port?

OK!!!! good news, i got the edge 1.28 thingy working!!! yay! but... how do i start that mod on it?

alright got Edge up and running, but why can i not play doom 2.5 on it? it should do!

yes but when i try running 1.29 it says "the application or dll is not a valid windows image. please check this against your installation diskette."

I am gobsmacked. It SHOULD WORK

Everybody hates tech support on DW, but however, provide a thorough report of your hardware and software configuration.

what? that wasn't very clear, what did you say i should do?

you mean my graphics card type and Direct X version?

While the mod is fun to play, it's not really worth all these problems, there are only four maps in the uploaded version, last one unfinished, the previews unfinished but close to completition, two comleted fully playable. I'm not sure if the mapper has more maps on his computer, I do have one on mine, but it has no lighting effects, and the enemy placements is incomplete.

ok man i see your point, i think i will just forget about this.. not worth the trouble. I am just getting bored of the three doom games, i have heard that there are wads like hell revealed and other stuff, maybe i should try those.

PS sorry about this wild goose chase, i didn't know it would be this pointless

For all I know, you could be running Windows 95 or Vista or even a WINE window under Linux, and use an integrated S3 video card, and all that on a Pentiun III. That kind of report.