Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom Is A Game For The Ages

Well you already knew that, but now it's (not exactly) official. The New York Times has an article describing how the curator of the History of Science and Technology Collections at Stanford University has proposed a "game canon" which would recognize the most important and culturally significant video games ever made. Among the ten games in the list are Zork, Tetris, Sim City, Mario 3, and, of course, Doom. So my thirteen year addiction has finally been validated! Take that mom and dad!

Oh also on the list are "Star Raiders" and "Sensible World of Soccer", whatever the hell those are.

didnt someone else just post that eact same link about the exact same subject?

EDIT: lol I just found the other one, looks like you found the same thing too

Sensible world of soccer were one of Sensible software's hit games.

In case you don't know who they are, they're the guys who made "Cannon Fodder".

Sensible software at The-Underdogs.Info

...there are already thousands that can only be played through computer programs called emulators, which, while readily available on the Internet, technically violate copyright laws.

Only if you don't already own the actual game, dumbass.

Fredrik said:

"More important" != "better".

It was better to begin with. Its importance is derived from its betterness.

Texas Libra said:

Only if you don't already own the actual game, dumbass.

Actually, you're wrong. If the rom rip isn't directly from YOUR OWN CART then it's illegal. Good day

do we have some fa.. er, people, from /v/ on here? and isnt smb1 more important than 3?

Ralphis said:

Actually, you're wrong. If the rom rip isn't directly from YOUR OWN CART then it's illegal. Good day

Maybe you can explain how it's possible to prove that.

Especially the mention of Doom along with the outstanding "Zork" games (outstanding by means of deep atmosphere and originality) sets a high mark for all the shooters that were published thereafter, a mark the most will never reach.

Even though I do not want to convert this thread in a hotlist for beloved games, I would like to say that they should have mentioned "Rise of the Triad" on one of the first places, oh well.
:-P

This isn't news. It's fact.

leileilol said:

smb3 is overrated; stupid the wizard.

When Mario gets to throw hammers at Bowser, you know the game wins.

leileilol said:

smb3 is overrated; stupid the wizard.

WHAT DO YOU SAY?! Hell, I think I have played smb3 more than I have played
doom. :P

GTA 3 ought to be on there too, while not the first, it's what really got the "Sandbox" genre going. And of course Vice City really set new standards for attention to detail, freedom and a sense of place in games (while again, not being the first, before someone starts telling me 'a sense of place' was done in some obscure dungeon-crawler for some defunct system in 1989)