Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnny

Memorable Videogame Myths

I can't believe find the triforce hasn't been mentioned yet.
I also recall a rumor for Super Metroid that a whole new area would open up if you laid bombs in every eye hole of the boss statue.

EarthQuake said:

Doesn't anyone remember the rumor of Doom having a cheat code that turns all monsters into naked women?

Has this been proven? I mean it's confirmed that no graphics are in the game's data files? Could be a world event that happens only once a year or something...

The naked women were only a plan in the Doom Bible, as a command-line-activated easter egg..... Were also rumours??

No reziarFG? Diablo 2 sucks then.... :-<
At least Blizzard had the inspiration to give the monster a sataniC languagE name.

EDIT: something like the Reziarfg would work well as a Spiderdemon replacement for Freedoom, judging from its 4 legs there.

deathbringer said:

-In GTA 3, if you fly around the back of the dam you can get to "Carson City", atcually theres just a little backalley map round there that was used in the intro

Its been proven on G4TV's Cheat AND I've been there

I remember a long time ago in one of Gamepro's April issues there was an article about how to evolve Dragonite into Yoshi through use of a fire stone in Pokemon Red/Blue. I tried way too many times. Same goes for the "Pikablu" crap as well. I read an entire Goosebumps book while sitting in my room pressing "a" repeatedly talking to Ash's mom in hopes of getting free pokemans :(

FF6 had a Cursed Shield and a Cursed Ring, but strangely enough, you could only uncurse the former... uncursing the latter became a prime target for different myths supposedly leading to the same end. Hell, one FAQ at gamefaqs actually does say that it can be uncursed after fighting 255 battles and rewarding you with the fake "Hero Ring." Other FAQs will reiterate that it cannot be uncursed and cannot be turned into a Paladin Ring "SO GET OVER IT!" ;)

deathbringer said:

-Duke Nukem 3D has a "children's mode/version" with no strippers. Whenever people at school said they had it it was immediatley "The children's version or the real one?"

This one isn't a myth. It is an option in the game to remove the strippers, the cutscenes, and (from memory, could be wrong) gibs, called Adult Mode. The original Australian release had this permanately turned off. The data was unchanged however, so getting an international executable instantly subverted the OFLC's moaning.

Infinite Ammunition said:

i like how sheng long is the only non-competely-lame myth in that article

heh, I remember that. never attempted it, but I had a friend that claimed he fought him. there was also a rumor, thanks to a badly doctored photo (I think it was an april fools joke), that guile could make use of a machine gun.

Johnny said:

Missingno. was not a myth, and please be more specific!

I captured it with my master balls. It wasn't anything special.

Oh and for GTA3... if you jump high enough (with the super jump cheat) and you land inside the baseball (?) stadium from the outside, you will enter a vortex (much a like a HOM) or so I'm told.

The only thing Missingno. messed with was the Hall of Fame in your PC. I caught 'M and Missingno. zillions of times. If you feed 'M enough rare candies or leave in in the PC for long enough it evolves into a Rhydon.

Also, on the same subject of that glitch, there was always 2 pokemon who were at some level over 100 you could catch. It seemed to me that it varied among cartridges. I could get Golbats and Kadabras both at level 137, and my friend got Pidgeottos and Snorlaxs at 186. Starting a new game didn't change them. Did anyone else experience this?

Glassyman said:

Really? Didn't you lose your savegame? I know that Missingno can cause strange behavior...

Yeah, I heard about that so as I soon as I heard about it, I just got rid of it. Nothing happened though when I saved or anything. I eventually went back and got one again, when I was nearing the end of playing that game.

Johnny said:

Same place you find Missingno., on the east coast of Cinnabar Island.

Unluckily I didn't find him. Maybe he isn't present in my game version.

Glassyman said:

Go to the Island in the southeast corner of the game world. Swim up and down the west coast, on the last tiles before dry land. You should encounter it.

Interestingly when you defeat Missingno the item in the sixth slot of inventory is duplicated. Great way to get a ton of masterballs.

Glassyman said:

He's present in every red/blue game version, excluding PAL games (though I've heard there's a different way to get him in them).

Bucket said:

My link was more informative. Bleah!

Next time I'll read the thread more carefully. Sorry :-)

Johnny said:

He's present in every red/blue game version

He's present in every red/blue game English version so he isn't present in my Italian version.

Since we're talking about missingno, after I caught it and some asshole kid reset my game my save ram was destroyed forever.

Glassyman said:

He's present in every red/blue game English version so he isn't present in my Italian version.

...which is why i said excluding PAL games

Two myths about Super Mario 64: the mystery of the level "Tick Tock Clock" and the new things that happen when you get 120 stars.

Glassyman said:

Two myths about Super Mario 64: the mystery of the level "Tick Tock Clock" and the new things that happen when you get 120 stars.

What da-f are you talking about?

AndrewB said:

What da-f are you talking about?

I know that mechanism of the level "Tick Tock Clock" are blocked if you enter that map in a particular way. After 120 stars I know that new characters appear such as Yoshi.

Glassyman said:

I know that mechanism of the level "Tick Tock Clock" are blocked if you enter that map in a particular way. After 120 stars I know that new characters appear such as Yoshi.

These aren't myths. They aren't even easter eggs. The first one isn't even a SECRET; it's a necessary element in completing the map.

What next for memorable video game myths? "If you hold down the B button at the end of a Super Mario Bros. level, you can jump to the top of the flag and get 5000 points!"?

AndrewB said:

it's a necessary element in completing the map.

No, it isn't. I completed the map and I caught all the stars without it.

What next for memorable video game myths? "If you hold down the B button at the end of a Super Mario Bros. level, you can jump to the top of the flag and get 5000 points!"?

Really?