Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom Marine

Texture Editors compatible with Vista

I'm now running Windows Vista and can't get DeepSea to install, and XWE won't open WADs in Vista either. I use DeepSea and XWE mainly for texture import and editing (F7), what programs out there are compatible with Vista and does the same job?

NOTE: By texture import and editing, I mean stuff like changing the XY offsets, adding patches, creating texture entries, etc.

Deutex or NWT in DOSBox.

You really brought any software problem you may have on yourself when you chose to use Vista. To be honest I think I can run more windows software on linux (via wine) than that OS can.

all in all, Vista is a huge ripoff, you have to buy the ultra deluxe version just to get games to run!

I'd stick with XP for now, or even switch over to full on Linux.

Please don't use Vista, thank you. The closest thing you'll get to running classic Doom utilities will probably be DOSBOX running Windows 95, and you don't want that.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it (and if it breaks stuff, don't use it).

'Don't use Vista' is easier said than done. New ones have this POS preinstalled so anyone having a new computer is pretty much screwed.

It's funny that Vista seems to have caused people to forget that XP is also an utter POS. 2000 FTW!

Incidentally, there is nothing preventing you from dual-booting two or more versions of Windows.

The programs compatibility with Vista is a serious problem, I think. All the new computers have it preinstalled. So I use a computer with 98SE, one with ME and one with XP.

Well, XP was a landmark in that it was the first truly 32-bit widely available OS for the masses (OS/2 existed like uhm...since 1994 but it was never widespread, and Windows 95/98/Me were an ugly patchwork of MS-DOS booting, 16-bit and 32-bit drivers and a graphical shell).

It was (well, IS) also much more stable than 95/98/Me ever were. Windows Vista doesn't add that much to XP, not to the same extent that XP added to 95/98/Me (actually, XP was entirely different from those, as it is based on NT technology, and thus is closer to Windows NT and 2000).

But Vista? As it's now, it's just a superset of XP unable to use the same drivers, with major incompatibilities, and just causes most programs to run slower while taking up more resources. And it's not my problem if people like paying $200 extra to get it preinstalled :-p (yeah, if you ask, you can get an "OS-less" machine, although some jurisdictions have been successfully lobbied by someone to NOT sell OS-less PCs...and guess what, that OS will surely NOT be linux or what could cut down costs for retailers or customers :-D )

Also, it's probably even LESS compatible with 95/98 programs than XP was, so it's definitively not the OS for the serious Doomer.

lets just boil this pool of sap down to a small sweet maple syrupy---aw fuck it

everything by MS is pretty much a POS...

Linux FTW!

I was never a big fan of Microsoft, but I am not an enthusiastic Linux supporter either, I'm just a fan of keeping things simple and workable.

Without that wanting to be a praise, XP has been the singlest stablest Windows OS Microsoft ever released, and other than the poor DOS support, it had no real flaws plus it's more than enough for most users.

Switching over to Vista will probably do more harm than good for most people, and especially to gamers, including Doom source ports and most utilities.

And let's not forget...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rXWr6Ezax4

Yeah that is why I'm so reluctant installing any new OS from M$. If sh*t is about to happen then it'll sh*t wild!

Bungleist said:

It's funny that Vista seems to have caused people to forget that XP is also an utter POS. 2000 FTW!

It's funny that XP seems to have caused people to forget than 2000 is also an utter POS. Windows NT 4 was the last half-way decent operating system from Microsoft.

(and to save my butt: no offense intended to anyone, except Microsoft of course :)

I found a way to work DeepSea in Vista. Instructions written for dumb people like myself:

--- --- ---

1) Find a computer with Windows XP operating system.

2) Download DeepSea.

3) Execute DeepSea's Setup.

4) Find the folder that you installed DeepSea into, i.e. [C:\DeepSea].

5) Copy the DeepSea folder and upload it onto a portable drive, or online storage, or email.

6) Copy or Download the DeepSea folder and put it into the Hard Drive of your computer with the Windows Vista operating system.

7) You should now be able to click on DeepSea.exe and run it from the DeepSea folder, despite Windows Vista.

--- --- ---

I'm guessing DeepSea's trouble with Windows Vista (which is 64-bit) lies in its 32-bit Setup program; Vista is not too friendly with the 32-bit stuff. The solution was to install DeepSea on a 32-bit operating system (Windows XP), which bypassed the 32/64-bit incompatibility barrier, and take the newly-installed Deepsea folder to Vista.

I also got XWE to work with Windows Vista using similar methods.

Problem solved.

Disabling User Account Control also helps with installation problems in Vista. Actually it helps with pretty much everything, UAC would have to be the most irritating windows 'feature' ever.

Chris Hansen said:

UAC!!? The plot thickens.

No KIDDING. What were they thinking when they came up with that name?