Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

John Romero beams announcement STRAIGHT DOWN

The Romero has announced that the Cyberathlete Professional League has purchased the Quake III Arena engine to start work on a new FPS tailored specifically to their needs. He made the announcement via YouTube.

The new shooter is called Severity, and pretty much all that is known about it is that Tom Mustaine, who you may remember made some levels for Final Doom, is involved. At the very end, he happens to mention that they'll be using id tech, and hey, he used to be a part of id. The video leaves the project a mystery, possibly proving that Romero has evolved past pre-release hype and just wants to announce his new job. What little information learned about the subject is that it will pander to many gameplay types (think one mode for Doom / Quake style DM, another for Counter-Strike Red vs. Blue team games, etc.) that are popular and put them under one banner, so to speak. This may give those people that are hankering for some eye candied-up Doom deathmatch a new toy to play with.

So this may mean that we may perhaps see another game with the unmatched furious gameplay of Doom/Quake in a modern shooter?!

Well that's exciting, but I'll wait for more info before I get my hopes up...

I anticipate this. Only because it's backed by Romero and Tom Mustaine, two fantastic PC game designers.

Here's hoping they can somehow mix the frenetic action of Doom/Quake with a little Counter-Strike flavor to it. Hey, I think it could be done...

This could be very interesting. Mix in the fast paced feel of Doom\Quake with gameplay elements from Team Fortress and Counter-Strike, and you could have a pretty good hardcore shooter. Frankly, I'm hoping that the only thing taken from Counter-Strike is the purchase and round mechanics. I'd rather this strive to be more fantastical ala Quake than be just another contemporary "real world" shooter.

Well, I don't think it's a mix, it's game modes. So when they select the Doom-ish mode, you get Doom-ish movement and speed. When you select CS-ish mode, you get CS-ish speed and movement.

Hobbs said:

john romeros about to make you his bitch (again).

damn straight! I can't wait for this.

leileilol said:

I hope this game has good player model support

Well, the thing is, the CPL doesn't allow custom resources so I don't see why they'd allow their game to load external resources like say, Counter-Strike or HL. (though I will admit to completely replacing my CS weapon set with better models)

Linguica said:

Oh is this why you IMed me some random picture of Romero?

I figured you'd enjoy a picture of Romero looking very much like a doofus. Just in case he doesn't something stupid again, you can use it :-P

Seriously, the amount of silly faces he makes in this video is amazingly high. Like I said, but it was removed, you could make this 2 min video into a drinking game. Every time Romero makes a goofy face or voice, you take a shot. Smashed in minutes.

Old news, i've known about this for months.. But i compete in CAL so, that'd prolly explain why.

Again, old news, but I'm excited. I just hope they actually know what they're doing though, because both Doom and Quake ended up being much more than the sum of its parts. You can't expect to make a game willy-nilly and it automatically be competition-worthy, the former two just happened to be extremely lucky.

Until then, I'll continue to play a nice free alternative.

Naked Snake said:

Well, the thing is, the CPL doesn't allow custom resources so I don't see why they'd allow their game to load external resources like say, Counter-Strike or HL. (though I will admit to completely replacing my CS weapon set with better models)

Pure Server.

Naked Snake said:

Seriously, the amount of silly faces he makes in this video is amazingly high. Like I said, but it was removed, you could make this 2 min video into a drinking game. Every time Romero makes a goofy face or voice, you take a shot. Smashed in minutes.

It is his eyes that does that. :P

About the shooter: well, I think it sound cool. But there is no screenshots, not much info or anything. So let us check that later...

Just wait till we see that it's so much better than Quake 3 and the only reason for that is it's designed specifically for closed networks.

CPL announced they were doing this probably six months ago or more, you moron.

And Romero has nothing to do with it.

Mogul said:

Well, that's almost as misleading; isn't he currently president of the CPL or something (don't quote me on that, but he's doing something for it, and thus announced this project)? He's simply not working on the project himself.

Mogul said:

CPL announced they were doing this probably six months ago or more, you moron.

Well, aren't you an uppity little monkey? Who gives a shit when they announced it? The point of the post is to INFORM THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW.

Mogul said:

He is on an advisory panel. Angel Munoz is the CPL president.

Aw, and here I was hoping he might actually get down and make some sweet level design or something. After all that's what he was good at I sorta reckon.