Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLazenby

Go 2 It... anyone done it?

Has anyone actually managed to get through "Go 2 It", the second secret level in "Plutonia"?

It just doesn't seem like it can be done... but I'm sure some Doom expert has probably breezed through it at some point.

Of course, go check out Compet-n for some demos.

It looks insane, and I could never do it.

You know its not that paticularly hard once you've played it a few times. Especially on lower skill levels. I think people get to it once, get put off by it and decide its the hardest thing evar and never bother again.

Even *I* can beat Go 2 It and that is really saying something according to most people who have observed the way I play :P

Go 2 It is just a great massing of monsters and ammo, it could very well be a HR level and is even beatable by pistol start. But yeah, it probably gets the cake for the "toughest" official level, if you judge that only by number and kinds of monsters.

It isn't really that hard, if you don't go too kamikaze (yet a bit is needed to make it more fun). If you think that's hard, try to beat map23.

Good for you, though I'm pretty sure a lot of people have beaten it already.

But can you beat it on Nightmare difficulty? It took me a while but I managed it in the end, just like how I beat Ultimate Doom, Doom II and the rest of Final Doom on Nightmare. It's not like I had a lot else to do anyway. It was sunday after all. :p

Even I have beaten it. It took a few tries, but I eventually conquered it on UV. It takes planning and strategy, but it's not hard when you know what to do.

Well geez, I only beat it on I'm Too Young To Die... :-/

But hell, I don't even know how bumping up the skill level would make that level worse, I mean there are already roomfuls of monsters as it is...

I've done Go2it. Maybe not on 100% kills. Don't worry, I'm quite sure there are tougher Plutonia maps there, for the simple reason that players aren't familiar with them.

It's not very difficult when you know what to do.

Maes said:

is even beatable by pistol start.

And that's hard to do since you don't get a bunch of weapons right at the start...

Mmm, I think a bit of sarcasm-detector testing is going on here. Though it must be said that you don't get much in the way of melee weapons at the start of pl32.

If you want to make the level a bit harder, you can play with the coop monsters - this adds a few extra cybers near the end.

Pl32 demos can be found in the normal place.

Psycho Siggi said:

It's easy and fun, though I prefer the original.

good god that's balls to the wall hard!!

EDIT: Hahaa, no one has successfully Tyson'd this map YET.

I agree. It looks hard, and it's even harder if you try to impliment the usual run n' gun doom tactics. However, it's actually 200 times easier if you just be patient, cautious, and make use of cover.

Sure, I still remember the long lost demo recording of the first time I've beaten pl32 that was ~45 mins long, but where's the fun in that? :P

I stated in the hardest map thread that this is the hardest of the doom maps (not custom). However, I went to play it and beat it in 47 minutes with no problem, probably because I'm much more aware of where everything is now. Starting this map for the first time is pretty scary though due to the sheer numbers of enemies.

It's very beatable from pistol start also, there is PLENTY of ammo around. Also, an abundance of megaspheres which help out a lot.

But while its rather difficult, its extremely fun! The more you play it though it becomes much easier.

Inferno said:

But while its rather difficult, its extremely fun! The more you play it though it becomes much easier.

You have made the first step towards recording max demos :P

I did it on UV a few years ago. It's not really a pistol start map considering you have every weapon in front of you. However, I did it the sissy way and saved after every large battle :)

I never liked the map itself though, it's just map01 with a bunch of box-shaped rooms tacked on and dozens of cyberdemons.

Megalyth said:
I never liked the map itself though, it's just map01 with a bunch of box-shaped rooms tacked on and dozens of cyberdemons.

While I'm sure the Casali bros did it more for kicks than innovation, I doubt they applied less effort to it overall than on their other Plutonia maps. There's even an older version or incarnation of it in the archive. They were likely paying homage to stuff like Doominator, that is sometimes looked down upon because it's "just an overpopulated warping of the original levels", but at the same time such maps were (or are) a valid field of playground experimentation (with an emphasis on "play"). Thus the map makes sense both in being a fun monster bashing scenario, maintaining higher than usual difficulty as most of Plutonia does, while being meaningful in style (historically and influentially). Plus it's certainly not one of those maps where it isn't clear whether the modifiers had permission, as id published it and all. What it does in respect to style is lay bare the community editing, modification sharing, and playability honing process; something which is already more or less hinted at in many of the Casali designs, that are somewhat reminiscent of other levels (especially from the DOOM and DOOM II games themselves).

Valid points.

I'm not saying that modifying original maps is wrong or lame. I just didn't like go2it in particular. I's really the only level of Plutonia I can think of that I didn't like.

I don't see why Go 2 It can be hard on anything aside from Nightmare. You just snipe all enemies, there are so many spots where they can't reach you and even more spots to hide. On another note, maps that I find hard include a lot of open spaces and/or windows with lots of zombies, because you can't dodge their attacks. Twilight for instance. That is of course with vanilla Doom where you can't mouse-aim at distant enemies, you've got to get close and then it's hard to survive.

Go 2 It is probably my favorite Doom level ever. It just such a well balanced level. As other's have pointed out it is highly beatable and is in fact, fairly tame compared to levels found in map sets such as Hell Revealed.