Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnny

Memorable Videogame Myths

Speaking of Mario "myths", in Super Mario World for SNES, what is the total level count? I've reached 96, but I've heard there are 100 or more. Is that true?

SMW has 96 exits. That's why it gives you a star next to the number when you've beaten them all.

Megalyth said:

Speaking of Mario "myths", in Super Mario World for SNES, what is the total level count? I've reached 96, but I've heard there are 100 or more. Is that true?

In the SMW Rom Hack, Demo World, there's over 100 exits (that number next to your file isn't counting levels, but the number of exits you've found).

"Those videogames will rot your brain!"

in Halo 1 if you get out of blood gulch and keep walking you'll end up in another map.

...or so i've heard...

AndrewB said:

These aren't myths. They aren't even easter eggs. The first one isn't even a SECRET; it's a necessary element in completing the map.

What next for memorable video game myths? "If you hold down the B button at the end of a Super Mario Bros. level, you can jump to the top of the flag and get 5000 points!"?

Did you know that in New Super Mario Bros. that it gives you a one up if go above the flag *maulotaur'd*

I know an obvious one no one talked about. The one about Atari burying 50,000 copies of Pac-Man and E.T. out in the desert under a mountain of concrete or whatever. Everyone kind of accepts it as fact, but it's never actually been proven AFAIK and it's fairly far fetched.

TheDarkArchon said:

Did you know that in New Super Mario Bros. that it gives you a one up if go above the flag *maulotaur'd*

That's awesome. When I was like 6, I heard that this was true of the original SMB. Try as I might, however, I could never jump over the stupid thing. It was only recently that I used a super-jump game genie code to jump over the flag and I found out THERE WAS NO 1UP!

Props to you for pointing this out.

In Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels it's often possible to jump over the flag (at least in the SNES version) and there is no one-up there.

GGG said:

In Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels it's often possible to jump over the flag (at least in the SNES version) and there is no one-up there.

Correct

Kristian Ronge said:

The article at Wikipedia even has a photograph of the landfill where Atari dumped the cartridges. :-)

Well damn. It's still one of those big pieces of gamer folklore though.

I found that even with Game Genie, jumping over the flag gave me the minimal amount of points and instantly put Mario on the ground.. like the cheating loser he is.