Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Community Chest Deathmatch Project

Good morning everyone! I'm gonna attempt to start a project, small in stature at first because I have no idea where it's gonna go. Here's my reasoning...

I am so tired of the same Deathmatch maps being played on the servers. Don't get me wrong, there are alot of good maps on those servers, but it can be monotonous at times.

Most of the Deathmatch maps have poor texture alignments, lighting levels are not variable, dead end hallways and the such.

Here's what I'm working on...

*Doom2 Compatable (To be playable on all engines)
*Perfect texture alignments
*No cramped long dead-ends (death traps)
*All weapons will be utilized, including BFG's you wimps!
*This will be new maps from scratch
*Extensive play testing before release
*A compilation of 6-10 maps, no more than 10 maps!
*No visual errors
*Doom2 textures only and skies only!

I always get asked, "can I add this texture, or this music, or this sky?" Not in this project. All projects have enough issues with trying to resolve all this, this is simple and straight forward. If no one joins this project then that's fine with me, I've already started it with the first map. I just wanted to invite anyone who might be interested, yes I know real life gets in the way, just ask me, I've been there and I'm still there...:)

If you're interested let me know, thanks everyone!

Title: "Community Chest DM" (tentatively)

Cadman - Member TeamTNT
Doom2 GrandMaster (DHT5 Standards)

We'll see about the skies okay? Right now I'm utilizing the "KISS" principle..."Keep It Simple Stupid!" I wanna stick with the original skies first then maybe at the end we can make a few modifications. We'll see...I'll work the technical stuff out later, such as combining the Pwads, Mapinfo and the such. That'll be done toward the end. I will keep the project organized, just like I did with the original "Community Chest" projects...thanks for the reply. If you wanna work a map or two then let me know how many maps, but it must be high quality. I will not accept anything less, it doesn't matter which map slot at this time. We'll put everything in order at the end.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT
Doom2 GrandMaster (DHT5 Standards)

The secret in most popular multiplayer maps is the simplicity. They are simple for the eyes, have layouts that can be remembered after the first walk.
Gothic deathmatch, or Crucified Dreams while impressive visualy, and nice gameplay (at least for me), just couldn't match the popularity of simpler wads.
There's nothing as relaxing as entering a wad where you don't have to think much for the layout, can move freely, get a decent weapon even if there are 6 players roaming around. This of course doesn't exclude proper texture choices, aligments, but extra detail and popularity for a deathmatch map, are hardly combined.

I'd love to be part of this, but I already promised to help Lupinx-Kassman with his community project, and from some time ago I'm tempted to do a reinterpretation of the Motherdemon in classic DOOM, I have everything in my head, just need to build it up.

Feel free to contact me for betatesting if you need, I use to play multiplayer with a friend of mine.

BTW are you okey with the modifications I did to your map, Cadman? (added computer map, the arrow that points to the teleport to the red plataform now has a soft red floor to be more visible, the yellow key plataform now can be lowered from the inside, has a hellish sky instead earth).

About the name, I know this shouldn't be the most confortale name for you but I think "Cadman's Deathmatch project" would be more memorable and/or noticable.

This is for the Doom Community...here is a question for all of you. I need input for what you all want to see in this Doom Project. So here's the questions...

1. What do you look for in a deathmatch map?

2. What don't you want in a deathmatch map?

Give me some input for this so I can plan and design accordingly!

Thanks everyone!!!

Being one that built DM maps before starting to go full blanche into SP, I can answer that.

1). Visually appealing, fun to play, easy to know where your opponents come from, and also innovation.

2). Gothic99, that's all I have to say. Also some maps shouldn't have a BFG if the layout screams "Shoot me to kill your opponent anywhere!"

Hope that helps you for now.

Gothic99? Im not sure if many would agree with you on that. It looks visually awesome, but it is also proof that too much detail can get in the way of fighting.

He was replying to Cadman's most recent post, i.e:

Q. What don't you want in a deathmatch map?

A. Gothic 99.

So I think many people would agree with him ;).

1. Maps like king1 and lazarus1b map04 and xenosx9 map06 and crudream map11 are what I'm looking for.

2. Overdetailed nonsense, square arenas, BFG spam maps. Stuff that f.ex. Crudreams had too much of.

I have several deathmatch maps I designed for my project that might be good candidates for this.

I've been cruising the servers on ZDaemon and looking at the maps people are playing. I've noticed that people have a tendency to shy away from the "Arena" style of maps these days. There are so many variables that at times it drives me crazy, but oh well...:)

I'm already around 3/4 done with my first map and will be starting on the second one shortly.

Use3D...it's good to hear from you man! I would love to have some maps from you, I love quality!

BTW...when a map is submitted to me please make sure you have a complete text file with it as well! The usual template please!

I will check all submissions personally myself for errors, texture alignments and the such.

Another note, all maps must have an exit! No coop exits please! You know what I mean guys!

Hmmmm...sounds pretty interesting to me. I do a lot of DM mapping, though mainly for Skulltag. But I think I might be able to whip up one or two quality DM maps for ya if you'd like. If so, sign me up!

Mechadon said:

Hmmmm...sounds pretty interesting to me. I do a lot of DM mapping, though mainly for Skulltag. But I think I might be able to whip up one or two quality DM maps for ya if you'd like. If so, sign me up!

I got your input, thanks alot! I would enjoy having your submission(s)...thanks!

Well, I got bored...so I made my first map for this in about 6 hours! However, I failed to check and make sure that it would play correctly in Vanilla Doom (I tried not to go overboard on the detail so it wouldn't cause HOM's...but I dunno, we'll see how it does once I'm able to test it in the ole .exe). Anyways, I'll get a screenshot up once I know for a fact that it doesn't have any errors in it.

When maps are ready I'll setup a server that you map makers can upload to...

1. What do you look for in a deathmatch map?
Moving platforms to make hitting some one else a tide bit harder. probably a simple sniping spot, but has to be reachable to others also. Some sort of narrow bridge where if you survive a rocket blast but get knocked down to the oblivion. Stronger weapons put in a spot reachable, but can kill you if you mess up.And probably good design.

2. What don't you want in a deathmatch map?
A over detailed map with no good weapons, no great game play, and crappy sniping spots where everyone can see you and kill you on contact. (Snipin spots I like should give some sort of hinderence, but as said, can be reached by others)

Mind if I Join?
Got a bit of work to do, but Holidays start this week, so I'll have some time to work on it then :)

Icarus said:

Mind if I Join?
Got a bit of work to do, but Holidays start this week, so I'll have some time to work on it then :)

Sure...be glad to have you!

It's starting to look good, thanks for the screenies! I'm just about finished with my first map, I've been testing it with bots and the such, so hopefully I'll be working on my second map shortly!

Sign me for a map, any deadline?

Edit: Oh yes, I already have a map finished btw. An arena type of map like map07. Should be okay for dual (just maybe a bit boring) and fine for Free for all.

Torn said:

Sign me for a map, any deadline?

Edit: Oh yes, I already have a map finished btw. An arena type of map like map07. Should be okay for dual (just maybe a bit boring) and fine for Free for all.

No deadline yet...but it shouldn't take long to complete. I would love to have a map or two from you...hang on to them and I'll announce to the "team" when I'll setup a server so you guys can send them to me. I will compile all the maps and get them united. I'll also work on the MAPINFO and the such as well...:)

If any of you have your maps ready then send them to me via e-mail. I've updated my e-mail address, so that should be fine. Don't forget to include the standard template with it as well. I wanna give credit where credit is due. Thanks everyone!!!

I'll put something together, is this thing still going on?

I've heard requests from the last two posts if I still have map slots open and the answer is absolutely!!! If you wish to do a map for this project then please do, just make sure to follow the guidelines of this project as stated at the beginning of this thread. As a word of note, the cut off date for all map submissions will be...

May 31, 2007

I am not going to have this project go on forever and become "vaporware"...:) There you have the date, all maps must be submitted to me by the above date. I will then compile, work on the MAPINFO and all the other good stuff. I will then make the finished product available to the Team Members first for bug testing and then the final product will be released. Thanks everyone!!

Just wanted to see if everyone is still onboard with this, I haven't heard much in the way of actual activity. Please let me know which way this thing is going, thanks everyone! BTW, I've started my second map...:)

Ah yea, I need to send you this map. I've just been busy with Sabbat Martyr II...I mean lazy. I still haven't tested it in Doom II though, but I think it will work just fine.

If not, give me a swift kick in the balls.

I'm still here. My map is nearly done, construction wise, Just needs a hell of a lot of texturing and item placements. I think.