Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hawkwind

XWE beta corrupted TEXTURES1 Lump

I don't know how it did it, but yes XWE today modified my Doom2 IWAD, dating it today and corrupted my TEXTURES1 Lump. Thankfully I had nearby a backup. I suggest to all, if you haven't done so already, to make Read Only all your IWADs.

BTW I was getting that "file was modified by an external program" message at the time. But I did not modify Doom2 IWAD.

Yes, the beta has had some problems, but Csabo believes he has fixed them. Check out this thread for details of the problem you describe, and get the new beta.

I was using the latest beta when this happened, dated 22nd March 2007. I always update to the latest beta.

Yes, I just now checked the thread you mention and indeed sounds like a similar problem I had.

UPDATE ....

ReX is correct regarding the Quickfind function. If the wad you are working with or even browsing has a TEXTUREx Lump, DO NOT use Quickfind and type tex in the field. This will corrupt your TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps and XWE will continue to display that message "modified by external program" when trying to view any lump.

I also tried this experiment with Doom1.wad ( I made a backup first ) which has a TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 lump. After fouling up the TEXTURE1 Lump and trying to view TEXTURE2 lump, XWE just quit.

Probably related - After making the IWADS Read Only and then typing tex in the quickfind field, I get the message - I/O error 103.

I really hope this helps you Csabo and the problem is fixed soon.

Any chance of step-by-step reproducible instructions from either one of you guys? I looked at it last time, but couldn't see anything wrong. I'll look at this tonight regardless.

I thought my instructions were clear but here they are in step by step format.

1. Load up either an Iwad or a Pwad that contains a TEXTUREx Lump.

2. Type "tex" ( short for TEXTUREx ) in the Quickfind field without the quotes.

3. Quickfind has now found your TEXTUREx Lump.

4. Click on the TEXTUREx Lump.

5. Displays message " The currently opened file was modified by an external program. To avoid file corruption, you should then close and re-open this file "

6. Click OK twice to remove this mesage.

7. File is now corrupted ! The TEXTUREx and PNAMES lumps are still present, but the TEXTUREx lump is blank and the PNAMES lump is screwed up.

8. Try to view any other lump in the file. Point 5 message is displayed every time.

First of all thanks for the above, now that is a nice reproducible step by step list.

Otherwise ouch times a million. I dread even saying this, but I guess I gotta own up to it, so here comes the full disclosure.

There was a piece of test code left in the global keypress handler, which straight up corrupted the WAD when X was pressed. So it happened if you quick searched for the TEXTURE# lump, or if you just pressed X from a whole lot of places. (But it wasn't the quick search itself, like I said, that doesn't modify anything.)

I'm really sorry if you guys lost valuable work over this stupid bug. Fixed in the latest beta of course. I'm certain that piece of code was the only one of its kind. There still might be other minor issues here or there, but hopefully nothing fatal.

Csabo said:

There was a piece of test code left in the global keypress handler, which straight up corrupted the WAD when X was pressed. So it happened if you quick searched for the TEXTURE# lump, or if you just pressed X from a whole lot of places. (But it wasn't the quick search itself, like I said, that doesn't modify anything.)

That makes a lot of sense - all my custom patches (and textures) & flats have names starting with the letter x. I did this because I wanted to be able to easily browse my custom textures, and I knew that none of the DooM/2 patch/texture/flat names began with the letter x. And of course the problem occurred after I had performed the search and was trying to open the searched entry.

In DooM2, however, I was searching for M_OPTTTL (see the first post in this thread) when it happened. Is there possibly another letter that triggers this problem?

@Csabo - Thanks for the latest beta. Seems to be fixed now. :)

@ReX - I went through the whole alphabet with Quickfind using the new beta with no problems.

The same problem would never come up. The "fix" in this case was to delete that test code permanently.

ReX said:

That makes a lot of sense - all my custom patches (and textures) & flats have names starting with the letter x.

lol, that's really means being unlucky :-D